Home – New Forums Get productive I email myself reminders. It works, but is there a better way?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Lucy Kippist
    • Total posts: 230
    Up
    ::
    senseict, post: 262983, member: 101399 wrote:
    I’ve just started using Todoist, it’s really nice and useful :).

I’ve integrated it with Google Apps so calendar etc are automatically updated, I can add tasks from email, etc.

Plus you can write stuff like ‘Update account X every friday’ and it will remind you every friday to update account x

Hi Matt,
    Thanks for this, funnily enough I also use this one now! I also like the reminder function.

senseict
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Todoist is great, especially for notifications and such.

I have, however, found that I need more than what Todoist offers, especially for the price to upgrade.

I’ve actually moved to Notion.so as I’ve found it has considerably more functionality.

As a developer and maker, having documentation, tasks, and agenda’s etc all in one place makes things a lot easier.

There are some overlapping functions, such as task management boards, and all of that fun stuff, but the added functionality and customisability makes things so much more powerful.

There are loads of SaaS and other tools out there, just gotta try them and find the right ones to fit your needs.

Notion is free, I’m using the upgraded personal version though.

Disclaimer: notion link is an invite link which provides $5 in free credit.

You also get free credits to try the subscription versions, $5 for signing into the web app, $5 for signing into the desktop app, and $5 for signing into the mobile app.

Tom ISW
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

I use Workflowy for work stuff, and I use an app called Netmemo+ to send myself short voice messages to my inbox. It’s on Android, not sure if there’s an iPhone equivalent. Works great for me.

Roman K
    • Total posts: 44
    Up
    Lucy Kippist, post: 262931, member: 98720 wrote:
    TIA for your ideas.

I use a mix of low tech and high tech:

1) When an interrupting thought enters my mind I either:

• add it to a running sheet for the day (just a piece of paper) or
    • add it to a text file – it’s always open in my computer or
    • add it to Google Calendar as an event at 9PM for further processing

The idea is to spend as little time as possible on getting the idea out of my mind and continuing focusing on what really matters now. The reason for multiple sources is that I can be in different environments throughout the day

2) At the end of the week I review the whole bunch of ideas from all of the above sources and reject most of them.

Why?

Because I love what Greg McKeown explains in his wonderful book Essentialism (summary): most things out there are totally unimportant, and there are only a few vital ones.

Understanding this fact is more important than any tool you will ever use in my opinion.

3) With those ones that survived a cool-down period of the whole week I use Confluence (https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence) for structuring the ideas in a hierarchical way.

I also use other products from the same company such as JIRA for managing tasks in an Agile way. Atlassian products work like a charm for our team.

In addition, we use Confluence for systematizing processes – it has lots of cool features, and the whole team uses this tool to deliver results fast. It has a bit of a learning curve, but like any other tool anyway.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if you have any questions. More than happy to elaborate.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Roman,

Thanks for sharing such a detailed process and tools.

I love the low-tech option for initially just grabbing an idea and getting it down without interrupting too much – my main concern is forgetting the ‘great’ idea so once it’s captured I can leave it there for a while.

The idea of a ‘cooling off period’ is also very clever. Many ideas, particularly ones at 3 in the morning, can seem genius at the time but not so great after a bit of thought. Survival of the fittest is a good option for ideas that move any further.

The essentialism book/concept looks intriguing too!

Thanks again, Peter

Roman K
    • Total posts: 44
    Up
    Peter – FS Administrator, post: 264139, member: 1 wrote:
    The essentialism book/concept looks intriguing too!

Thanks again, Peter

If you read the book you will never regret. Especially if you have too much on your plate (not saying you are).

My cycle was like that: mater every piece of peak performance->get burnt due to overwhelm->simplify.

The book helped me tremendously with the last step.

LukeHally
    • Total posts: 150
    Up

I’ve tried a few approaches to ideas. I’ve ended up with notepads full of random things and Evernotes fill of stacks, both of which I never had the energy to filter through. And for me it comes down to a few things:

Is the idea a good idea or just a harebrained scheme?

• Good idea
      • Is it relevant to something I’m working on now?
        • Yes, where am I?
          • At home-> write it on my work pad that I keep on my desk
          • Not at home -> add it to a notes on my phone
        • No -> add it to my ‘ideas book’
    • Harebrained scheme -> tell my wife about it for fun and forget about it
    AppLife
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Definitely worth writing this stuff down during the ideation phase. It can get foggy trying to formulate the entire idea during execution.

I write everything that might need further action into my own brewed todo list app. Have posted about it in the “Tell me straight” forum.

Tom ISW
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

Just wanted to add that NetMemo+ I suggested earlier is no longer supported. I now use Vono Pro for Android [link to Google Play] – works just as well and has speech-to-text dictation too.

Lucy Kippist
    • Total posts: 230
    Up
    Tom ISW, post: 265455, member: 54379 wrote:
    Just wanted to add that NetMemo+ I suggested earlier is no longer supported. I now use Vono Pro for Android [link to Google Play] – works just as well and has speech-to-text dictation too.

Love a bit of speech to text! What a great idea, thanks Tom.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.