Home – New Forums New here? Share your story I finally made it….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BrisbaneBookkeeper
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Well, here I am – starting out on my own!

Based in Brisbane & finding it hard to get work based around my family I am finally taking the plunge!

Got a lot of reading to do around here – hopefully I will find some good marketing & advertising tips as getting enough clients to warrant working for myself bothers me somewhat 😮

Look forward to talking with you all soon.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Congratulations on stepping out! I hope this year goes wonderfully well for you. Having only just taken the plunge myself three months ago I know it can be rather daunting! I am loving it though. Do you have a website?

BrisbaneBookkeeper
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

no website as yet. I’m just wanting to target local area at the moment. Depending on how that goes will depend on a possible future website

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

Hi BB,

Congrats on the start!

One new accountant around my area went through the local business website and got names and phone numbers and started calling.
    He was very pleasant, put no pressure on me and offered a free first visit (most do anyway).

Maybe look at researching a little on cold calling techniques and then start calling!

Good luck.

Carole
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

Congrats on having the courage to go it alone.
    You came to a really helpful and supportive place here.
    I started out about 6 months ago. It has been fairly stressful, but I am finally getting some work now and gaining in confidence. I am lucky that my partner still works FT, but he would really like and is at the stage where he needs to cut down.
    All the best.

beanydc
    • Total posts: 44
    Up

Three suggestions

Firstly, be a friend first.

Secondly, approach the local accountants – they may be able to refer work to you.

Thirdly, try everything that comes your way, because you never know what it might lead to.

Denise

divapromotions
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

congrats on taking that risk and starting your business.

Before you start to get clients or approach anyone, think about why you are different to other bookeepers. What makes them want to do business with you?

And then, when you have this, ask yourself this question – “if a competitor came into the market today, can they offer what I can?” If the answer is yes, go back to step 1 and find something else!

This will help with your marketing. Also, work out who you want to work with, and create a picture of themin your mind. How big is their business? Is there any industries you prefer to work with?

Then go out, research bookeepers who are targeting these same areas and see what they are offering.

Good luck with it!!

@HeatherSmithAU
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Congratulations BB,

There is heaps of support networks for bookkeepers;

ABN
    ICB
    AAT
    ATO has a lot of support & seminars
    plus MYOB has a bookkeepers division.

All groups I have found to be helpful & pass work around.

Where are you based in Brisbane?

I am always referring on bookkeeping work in the local area…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.