Home – New Forums Tech talk I have a spare few hours – ask me anything.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    ::

As the title reads, I have a few spare hours today and would be happy to answer any questions SEO related.

Got one?

Hit me.

aaron.miller
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

Thanks John,
    I run a website in Australia and my brother runs a company selling the same product in the uk.
    If we moved to magento ce and used the multi store configuration, we could operate to store fronts, but selling the identical products. Obviously the prices would be different, as would freight charges etc.Each store would be on its own domain, mine ending in .com.au and his ending in .co.uk
    The product description would be identical for each product but being sold through two stores.
    Would this create a duplicate content issue?

On duplicate content, how does google determine the owner of the content, ie say its a hp computer. hp doesn’t seem to get penalised but I assume a reseller would?

Cheers

Aaron

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up

Good question.

Probably a few things you can do here…

1. Use the ahreflang attribute. You can find more information here…https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/189077?hl=en

2. Set geographical targeting for each site to its own location…https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/62399?hl=en

3. Set authorship, and your other properties to point to the right site….http://www.google.com/insidesearch/features/authorship/ You may also want to create your own “Google my business” G+ page.

4. Set all of your social media channels to the right website.

That should be enough to get you heading in the right direction.

In terms of duplicate content issues, this is a common problem amongst most ecommerce stores, because they often…

1. Get a feed directly from the supplier
    2. Import their entire inventory from a database supplied from the supplier
    3. Copy content directly from the suppliers website

This cause issues when you try to make your site competitive in the search results because you end up competing with a LOT of other site owners that are using exactly the same content.

Best strategy is to always use unique content.

aaron.miller
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

Thanks, I will review and digest all of that.

What about mini sites, are they still seen to have any seo value?

Cheers

Aaron

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up

Define “value”

Mini site are mostly a huge waste of time. Stick to building out one big authority site.

umair862
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

John
    How can I use Social Media for link Building?

Umair

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up
    umair862, post: 195004 wrote:
    John
    How can I use Social Media for link Building?

Umair

Ensure all of your social media properties have your link pointing back to your site. Especially every single video on Youtube.

Pinterest uses dofollow links.

Thats the 10 second response as I’m just about to run out the door.

Back soon.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi John, I understood Pinterest changed to nofollow in 2012 – have they changed back?

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up

I heard they went nofollow, then follow, and it looks like they’ve gone nofollow again.

Seems they can’t make up their minds.

In any case, they do show up in Webmaster Tools (as well as Youtube)

I think of you’re thinking “links” with social media, you might be thinking wrong. Sure it’s doable, but that almost defeats the point of doing it.

You’ll want to broadcast across social media so that you have level of redundancy in place – as it has nothing to do with Google.

(iTunes is another one) :)

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Ok thanks mate, another mob who can’t settle!

No, wasn’t thinking of using them for links lol. (I do tell some clients to use Pinterest for other reasons).

pauls
    • Total posts: 120
    Up

Some solid advice there John!

Greenlife
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Just to bump this thread – regarding duplicate content, should you avoid duplicate content entirely through your own website? For example, I sell some watches and sunglasses that have the same shape, but come in different colours etc.
    Each one has it’s own page – so should the content be quite different for each page, or can I use the same core text for each model?

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up
    Greenlife, post: 197403 wrote:
    Just to bump this thread – regarding duplicate content, should you avoid duplicate content entirely through your own website? For example, I sell some watches and sunglasses that have the same shape, but come in different colours etc.
    Each one has it’s own page – so should the content be quite different for each page, or can I use the same core text for each model?

Always work towards publishing unique content where possible.

For slight product variations, you might be best to use canonical urls.

Especially if you have

mywebsite.com.au/watch&colour=red
    mywebsite.com.au/watch&colour=blue
    mywebsite.com.au/watch&colour=green

You would set the canonical to mywebsite.com.au/watch/

It simply tells Google, “There’s a whole bunch of these pages that are very similar, but this is the one you should index”

You might want to ask yourself…if the product differences are that minimal, should I really have individual pages for each?

pauls
    • Total posts: 120
    Up

Agree with John,

While in some cases some duplication cant be avoided, another issue with products with minimal content is that they will also be seen to hold very little value due to the minimal unique content.
    In such cases if its vital to keep these pages – you should consider additional unique content around that specific topic/service/product.
    These could also be categorised into tabs/divs for cleaner appearance.

The more unique and relevant copy you can have the better.

and I must highlight ‘relevant’ as you don’t want to overwhelm the potential client with big chunks of copy.
    If you feel its mandatory refer to tabs and other methods of delivering segmented, bit sized chunks.

Good Luck.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    Greenlife, post: 197403 wrote:
    Hi Greenlife.
    Google does not usually penalise duplicate content. Its algorithm takes care of most dupes automatically.

The problem is often “near duplicate” content with shopping carts. A cart I just looked at had 21,000 pages indexed by Google. There were however only 296 pages G considered “original” and the rest had been relegated to its supplementary index.

Consider the carts that offer a drop box option to sort by price, by manufacturer, by most visited, most reviewed, etc., etc.

All of these options provide the same info on a different page it is just arranged in a different order. I’ve seen shopping carts with 20 different sort options of the same info.

To G. these are “near duplicate” content and it will try to pick one page version and relegate the rest to its supplementary index.

One SEO problem occurs when other sites make links to a shopping cart pages. Apart from a Home page, it is product category pages that are mostly the next most linked to pages. If the external linkers are offered 20 different versions of the same page, your external link may be devalued 20-fold.

With a plethora of external links to sort variation pages, it is likely that the page you want to promote is being switched in and out of the supplementary index as Googlebot follows links from your Home page on one visit and to the various category page options as it follows lkinks from other websites.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.