Home – New Forums Tech talk I have a spare few hours – ask me anything.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    ::
    DdM, post: 202783 wrote:
    I may have missed my opportunity..but if you’ve still got a spare moment I would really appreciate your thoughts…

I had a business develop & host a website for me that was under a contract arrangement for 12 months. Part of the contract was a promise to monitor & improve the site’s SEO (saving me thousands of dollars apparently).

I recently asked them for my google analytics code & webmaster account login details so I could check out how the site was performing.

They advised there was no google analytics code & that the only info I could have about the site performance was the number of impressions the site had registered.
    They said that they do their own analytics (this is a small two man business). I am wondering whether this is even possible – that a very small business would have developed an analytics program that would measure a site’s performance?
    Or does it sound like I am being hoodwinked?

I am really just asking for your opinion about the likelihood of what they’re saying. I don’t know enough about the technical aspects of SEO to respond to the business & I think they are very much aware of my lack of understanding.
    I’d really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thank you.

Donna.

I had a quick look at your source code (Googled the logo name :)).

There doesn’t appear to be any third party tracking code on your site, but as JonhW mentioned there are stats available off the server. I would have thought it unlikely that a small business would be using them in a very sophisticated way, especially when Google analytics is so simple to implement and use.

Have you tried asking them to set it up for you? They only have to stick a small amount of tracking code in (using an account ID that’s your’s) and you could run your own basic checks at least.

Any developer that can’t do this quickly and easily at minimal cost is probably not likely to be doing anything serious with custom analytics.

Do they currently provide you with any form of report on what the site is doing in terms of traffic and visitor sources? If they don’t, I’d be a bit cautious about how good the actual level of service is.

Cheers Greg

DdM
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Thank you all for your advice, it has been very helpful.

Apparently I was meant to set up Google Analytics and send them the codes to attach to my web pages, however I have had no previous correspondence with them that advises me of this.

I guess this has been an expensive learning experience (I wish it has been a cheap lesson, but it never is, is it?).

My contract with the business has finished and I have just been told that I have two days to find another host otherwise as the site or domain won’t be renewed.

Website development, SEO, hosting, domains, platforms etc, etc, are not simple subjects for the lay person to learn about. I have taken time to try and learn what I can, but for the most part it really does sound like gobble-dee-gook. So there comes a point where you do have to trust someone to manage that part for you. As is always the case (in any industry) there will be always be someone out there that is willing to take advantage of another person’s lack of knowledge.

Enough moaning from me though. Thank you all for your really helpful advice, I really appreciate it. I’d better spend the next couple of days finding another host!
    Have a great day.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    DdM, post: 202847 wrote:
    Thank you all for your advice, it has been very helpful.

Apparently I was meant to set up Google Analytics and send them the codes to attach to my web pages, however I have had no previous correspondence with them that advises me of this.

I guess this has been an expensive learning experience (I wish it has been a cheap lesson, but it never is, is it?).

My contract with the business has finished and I have just been told that I have two days to find another host otherwise as the site or domain won’t be renewed.

Website development, SEO, hosting, domains, platforms etc, etc, are not simple subjects for the lay person to learn about. I have taken time to try and learn what I can, but for the most part it really does sound like gobble-dee-gook. So there comes a point where you do have to trust someone to manage that part for you. As is always the case (in any industry) there will be always be someone out there that is willing to take advantage of another person’s lack of knowledge.

Enough moaning from me though. Thank you all for your really helpful advice, I really appreciate it. I’d better spend the next couple of days finding another host!
    Have a great day.

Don’t waste your time. For a small fee, we can have you up and running in no time. (so long as you have all your logins – usernames and passwords)

We can handle everything….setup analytics, goal tracking, your enquiry form and webmaster tools.

Another gun in here that does this stuff every day is Matthew Keath

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    DdM, post: 202783 wrote:
    I had a business develop & host a website for me that was under a contract arrangement for 12 months. Part of the contract was a promise to monitor & improve the site’s SEO (saving me thousands of dollars apparently).

Donna.
    Hi Donna,
    I just found your website.

If your developers have done anything to improve your site’s SEO, I’m having trouble seeing it, at least as far as your “tradies bookkeeping services” are concerned.

SEO starts with identifying how people search.

In your case they will use location words and some will use their trade type in their search phrases.

Your site is unlikely to even qualify for search phrases like:

bookkeeping services Perth
    bookkeeper Perth
    bookkeeping service for plumbers
    bookkeeping service for electricians
    bookkeeping service for carpenters
    bookkeeping service for builders

The reason is that none of these words appear on any of your 18 pages:

Perth
    plumbers
    electricians
    carpenters
    builders

I can’t believe anyone claims to offer SEO services when they don’t draw to your attention the importance of location words in searches.

Here’s how Google tells you the importance of location words in searches.

Start a Google search with: bookkeeping services

Look at the phrases in the predictive search drop box. Three of the four include location words.

Now add to your search phrase “(space) p”. Now your search text box should read: bookkeeping services p

The predictive search box will show you that 3 of 4 search phrases include location words and one of them is “bookkeeping services Perth”.

You can add almost every letter of the alphabet after “bookkeeping services” and G will display 3 and sometimes 4 search phrases that include location words.

Why don’t you email your website support service a link to this discussion page?
    Regs,
    JohnW

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hi John,

I have another question for you.

What about Footer links? We generally put a link to most of our sites back to our site so that people know that who made the site.

However, it’s generally new websites and I thought it might look dodge to Google.

Would it be better to link to FB or G+ or somewhere else?

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi Matthew,

I’m obviously not JR but I do have a lot of experience working with web designers most of whom put links in the footers of client sites back to their own sites.

IMHO Google expects and largely ignores them in the web design industry although I know a couple of designers who now make them noFollow to be on the safe side.

You might want to consider that for your own client links though I’d have to say I’ve not seen anyone hurt by those links – at least not where the links were brand links (as opposed to obvious anchor text manipulation).

I’d certainly want the users to come to my site rather than a G+ or FB page, you’d be surprised how often that traffic converts to leads.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

I don’t think there’s any issue with footer links, I think the issue lies with intent – regardless of the type of link (footer, sidebar etc)

Just make them nofollow, and trackable.

You’ll want to know how effective they are in resulting in conversions.

Oh, and of course, push your brand – avoid keyword slamming.

“keyword slamming” lol, that’s funny, I just made that up btw :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 203411 wrote:
    Hi John,

I have another question for you.

What about Footer links? We generally put a link to most of our sites back to our site so that people know that who made the site.

However, it’s generally new websites and I thought it might look dodge to Google.

Would it be better to link to FB or G+ or somewhere else?

Matthew,

My 2c worth. From my understanding of Justin Cutroni, footer links like that are ok, particularly if embedded in a sentence that explains it. E.g. supplied by… developed by… If that were a problem, then so are all of the links in the signatures of posts in this forum, and Flying Solo hasn’t been penalised by Google.

Darryl

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.