Home – New Forums Find the help you need I have an invention – Where do I start

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sara Bonnet
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi There,

I have an idea, but not really sure where to start.
    So far my idea/s are a recording of sketches/words/plans in a note book. I happen to do this a lot, but I never follow through, it always seems to hard!
    I am not sure whether my idea is something that can be patented or not or if some sort of agreement is going to be enough to get me started…..
    My “idea” is more an improvement to products that already exist, and upon comparing and researching, I have discovered that there is already a similar product in America. (In my opinion, mine is better lol)

I don’t know whether I need a designer or manufacturer or even just a publisher…
    I have no business name or logo for it yet, but it would compliment a business that I already have.

Anyway, I’m just looking for some guidance to a starting place and I am nervous about the kind of money I might need to get going.

I have also made contact with http://www.inventionsteps.com

Thanks in advance for any help or feedback you can offer

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

I would buy 30 minutes of time with a trusted successful business person for their opinion and that will save you a world of pain based on what you have said

webdever
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

I would stear clear of places like this inventionsteps.com at first, they seem to be in the business of making money off people like you and that is not a problem but you need impartial advice first.

try google patent search https://www.google.com/?tbm=pts&gws_rd=ssl

Also just because there is a patent on something does not mean it is a very strong patent or worth trying to enforce. Many patents will not hold up in court and if there is a good chance that this is the case then the patent holder would not put much resources into enforcing it.

Try finding a government department that could help,
    You can also file a provisional patent immediately with just your rough designs for about $150, it is a starting point and offers at least some record of you recording the idea.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi Sara

What an exciting phase you’re in! A popular member around here, Wendy Flack, went through a similar process and talks all about it in this podcast.

Well worth a listen I’d say and Wendy may well be able to give you some help and advice.

Good luck, Robert

MichaelDigital
    • Total posts: 140
    Up

It is great to have ideas, and some wonderful products have resulted-however ideas are actually a dime a dozen-it is always the execution that matters, the amount of people I have spoken to who say they want me to sign an ‘NDA’ before disclosing-I tell them not to bother! Invariably the idea is already out there but needs too much to get it off the ground. If you think this is a going concern I am very good at getting things done, thinking around corners and executing. Action is all that matters in this world.
    Happy to discuss if you are interested.
    Cheers

Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

You have a business that compliments your idea?
    Does this mean you will have a good sales channel for it?

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Hi Sara,

Firstly, I see you’re in Esperance, small world. We lived there for 13 years, were married and had all our children there too!!

I’ve been through the process (thanks for the reference Robert) and have an ebook about my journey which I think you’ll find very helpful. It’s available on My Great Idea, the link is in my signature.

The first step is to get some drawings (either an industrial designer if there’s concepts to be turned into a working part, or a draftsman if the function of the product is already clear) and then speak with a patent attorney. Just make sure you sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement before talking to anyone.

Good luck!!
    Wendy :)

The Doctor
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    Sara Bonnet, post: 229912, member: 71762 wrote:
    Hi There,

I have an idea, but not really sure where to start.
    So far my idea/s are a recording of sketches/words/plans in a note book. I happen to do this a lot, but I never follow through, it always seems to hard!
    I am not sure whether my idea is something that can be patented or not or if some sort of agreement is going to be enough to get me started…..
    My “idea” is more an improvement to products that already exist, and upon comparing and researching, I have discovered that there is already a similar product in America. (In my opinion, mine is better lol)

I don’t know whether I need a designer or manufacturer or even just a publisher…
    I have no business name or logo for it yet, but it would compliment a business that I already have.

Anyway, I’m just looking for some guidance to a starting place and I am nervous about the kind of money I might need to get going.

I have also made contact with http://www.inventionsteps.com

Thanks in advance for any help or feedback you can offer

The Doctor
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Have you ever looked into Crowdfunding Sara? I have been working on product developing a product I intend launching on Indiegogo a great crowdfunding website and it is truly the best way to bring your idea to market with very limited financial outlay. There is stacks of free education all over the web about every aspect of CF, from prototyping your product to marketing and delivery. Take a look at one of CF websites to get a feel for the types of inventions being launched, it’s fascinating!
    Good luck, Julie

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.