Home – New Forums Other discussions I keep getting dumped!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up
    ::

I am rather new to this forum, but have already noticed one problem.

Have been doing a fair bit of looking around, fine tuning my profile and trying a reply. Problem is that when ever I needed to do something serious I found I had to log in again. Can the time be extended a bit for casual browsers? I would have thought it I should have remained logged in whilst still in the vicinity.

MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up

When you log in, did you tick the “remember me” button? I haven’t had the problem you describe, however I have ticked the remember me (or maybe it’s the keep me logged in…) button so I never have to log in again :)

Melissa

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Thanks MissieK for that suggestion, that should fix the problem :)

peppie
    Up

Yes, I understand the way the Remember Me button works, but if you did not clicked that you should still be able to browse around for the time you have the page open and not be logged out within a reasonable time.

I realise that the system should log anyone out who has forgotten to do so, but not after a matter of minutes. Just wondered if a question to the setter uppers was appropriate.

MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up

It may be a time out thing – I’ve had this happen on other forums I’m on, especially if I leave the computer for a while, or even go to another window for a bit!

Melissa

BrightSpark
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

Pissed off

A remember me puts a cookie on your computer so that the web site knows when you return. Which won’t work in my case as I delete all cookies when I close my browser. Of course this means that I have to log in every time that I visit the website. I shouldn’t have to log in every time that I want to reply to a post. You take your time in creating a reply and when you go to post it back you are asked to re-login loosing all the work that you have just put in. I understand that a timeout is needed but make it something like an hour or so.

Peter – FS Administrator
    Up

Thanks guys. Understand the frustration with this :(
    We’ll look into it and see what can be done regarding extending the timeout/automatic logout timing and process to avoid this problem.
    We’ll get back to you asap to let you know.

Peter – FS Administrator
    Up

Hi all,
    The session timout setting has been updated from 15 minutes to one hour, so hopefully that helps resolve this issue? Please post back if there are further comments or issues with this.
    Cheers.

peppie
    Up

Gratius!

BTW, are there any smile faces etc. in the Reply window we can use,,,, or am I missing something (include cheesy smile here)?

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Yes, I was missing the smiley faces too. I don’t think there are any here… yet. :-D

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

The great smiley debate

kathiemt, post: 514 wrote:
    Yes, I was missing the smiley faces too. I don’t think there are any here… yet. :-D

Hmmm. Before launching the forum we spent a good amount of time reviewing other forums. Our forum software has a mass of capability built in. Our aim has been to keep it simple and to align it as closely as possible with the main site.

As a consequence we have disabled elements of functionality, including dear old smileys. We felt they were unnecessary and when overused can make discussions appear too flippant.

We’ll continue to monitor reaction and will bring them in if the wisdom of the crowds suggests we should.

Until then, let’s make do with the slightly more subtle smileys. :)

peppie
    Up

The choice is yours, but allowing members to be more free and easy may just help the forum to achieve its purpose.

I am a member of a forum involving professionals and amateurs in video production and it is the smiles and jokes that has made the character and atmosphere of that group. Things frequently get off the subject but very few mind and it often makes for lively discussion. But, you the leaders must lead as you see it and I will bow to your choice. I just hope I don’t miss anything here while I am having a laugh over there.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.