Home – New Forums Tech talk I know it’s here somewhere

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up
    ::

but can not find it. After wasting 30 mins on trying to find what I need to “type” before the search words in google, to see what the true organic results are.

Please help!

Jodie McLeod
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Hi Flower Child,

Just to clarify – do you mean there exists a word to put before your search words in Google that yields organic results, in the same way define:”xxx” finds a definition?

Jodie

SalenaKnight
    Up

I thought you could type something in before the page url, but have just been reminded that I was thinking about using ‘site’ *slaps forehead*

So, how can I tell where a page ranks organically? I’ve done this before, but can’t for the life of me remember!

I tried GA, but my chosen keyword phrase said “There is no data for this view.”

ETA – I just tried organic:keyphrase in Google, and the results were completely different to my personal search of the same phrase. Does this reflect the true organic ranking?

Jodie McLeod
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Hi Flower Child,

Google has now changed its entire search algorithm to rank “organicially popular” sites up the top, so I wouldn’t imagine prefacing your search term with “organic” would yield more “organic” results.

I just tried searching organic:books and it just brought up a whole lot of results about organic books :)

Keep me posted if you find out otherwise!

Jodie

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Do you have a Google Webmaster account? It can help.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

The easiest way to do this is to start a private browsing session in your browser. In Chrome, click on the spanner and then select “New icognito session”. In Firefox click on Tools and then “Start private browsing”.

Cheers,
    John

John C.
    Up

Just to clarify – what I think the original poster means is that google returns personalized results for each of us based on our previous search history (using a logged on Google Account and / or cookies). Doing a search from a private browser session bypasses these personalized results, but that doesn’t mean the results you see will be the same as the results I would see.

I think the term “organic” is usually used to indicate the results after the Adwords paid results, not to indicate whether the search results are personalized for a logged in user or not.

cheers,
    John

SalenaKnight
    Up

Thanks for putting it so eloquently John – that’s exactly what I meant!

So, is there a ‘universal’ organic result, eg if someone had never searched for your keyphrase before, the results they would get? Will the private browsing reflect this?

JamesMawson
    • Total posts: 38
    Up
    flower-child, post: 125242 wrote:

So, is there a ‘universal’ organic result, eg if someone had never searched for your keyphrase before, the results they would get? Will the private browsing reflect this?

Log out of your google account, then click on the little gear icon in the top right corner of the search page, then click on “web history”. This will tell you whether or not customizations are enabled or not. If they are currently enabled, click on “disable customizations based on search activity”.

It’s all a bit of a hassle, if you’re gonna do it a lot then I find it handy to run a separate browser.

John C.
    Up
    flower-child, post: 125242 wrote:

Yes – usually a private browsing session will be the same for two different people searching the same keyword at the same time in the same geographic area.

There’s nothing to stop Google from personalizing search results based on IP address, which a private browsing session wouldn’t help, but I don’t think they do this yet.

Cheers,
    John

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Now if a young person like you is having trouble then wait a while till you get ancient like me then you will experience what its like to loose something.
    Trouble is I just cant remember what it is that I lost.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Flower Child,
    Like others, I’m afraid I may be misinterpreting your question.

G is using what it thinks is your location to skew search results. It is also using your search history unless you switch this function off.

It may use your address as notified in a gmail account or if you are not logged in to your account it may use the local Internet access node of your ISP. In my case, if I’m using my desk top and I’ve cleared out all my history, cache and not logged in to a Google account it still thinks I’m located on Sydney’s north shore because my ISP (Optus) is accessing the Internet from a suburb in that area.

There is no program I know of that will take out all of these biases. This issue is also a killer of so many SE tools. If anyone can tell me an accurate “rank checker” program, I’d love to know it. I’ve not found one in 16 years that accurately reports a page with all these other factors skewing results.
    Regs,
    JohnW

ExecAccess
    • Total posts: 229
    Up
    Handsome Genius, post: 125246 wrote:
    Log out of your google account, then click on the little gear icon in the top right corner of the search page, then click on “web history”. This will tell you whether or not customizations are enabled or not. If they are currently enabled, click on “disable customizations based on search activity”.

It’s all a bit of a hassle, if you’re gonna do it a lot then I find it handy to run a separate browser.

To avoid personalised results (I remember getting really excited when I ranked as number one only to find Google was personalising my search results) I use &PWS=0 at the end of the URL.

Does that do that same thing?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.