Home – New Forums New here? Share your story I may be a dreamer but I’ll make this dream come true!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Jocelyn
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    ::
    leisadent, post: 24062 wrote:
    No problem, there’s some great information online about marketing so you can “teach yourself” to some extent – BUT there’s a lot more pointless, repetitive rubbish from so-called marketing “experts” so don’t believe everything you read. Stick mainly to flying solo for advice to keep things in perspective, also join “Linked In” and be a little bit “fussy” about who you connect with, check out their history and websites first to separate the pros from the hacks.

Ok, Will Do!
    I know exactly what you mean about pointless, repetitive rubbish!! It’s all over the web! It makes life (…and business planning) that bit harder!!

Thanks!

Jocelyn
    Up
    leisadent, post: 24064 wrote:
    Oh, one more marketing tidbit from me before I go to bed with a mini mars bar…it’s best to put lots of effort into just a few marketing methods that work for you/your industry, than to throw a little bit of effort into lots of methods. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, that does make EXACT sense!! I know exactly what you mean!!!

Enjoy your mini mars bar!! And Goodnight!! Hope to hear from you again soon.
    It’s been great hearing your advice!!

Selene
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Hi Jocelyn

Hi Selene,
    Thanks for your response!!
    I am currently in that exact stage! I have Ideas…However , getting them off the ground is another thing! I only have the ideas but No idea as to whether my ideas would be successful…etc…
    Are you or have you been a business owner yourself?

Your Reply had great advice, thanks Again! I appreciate it.

Yes I am a current business owner of Blondes Can Count, a Bookkeeping services business and have been running for about 5 years.

Oh boy, I always have huge ideas running through my head and have filled a notebook with these ideas. Often I find I will write down an idea and think OMG this is just the best thing going without breaking down the steps. Then I will break the idea up into pieces and work out the ins and outs of getting it going as well and the potential in the marketplace.
    I also find that once you have the idea formulated it can often be a matter of timing, both within your personal life and all the goings on and within the marketplace.

I guess when trying to work out whether the idea will turn into a successful business is by asking yourself
    1. If it is a service – is there a need
    2. If it is a product – is there a want/desire.

Also if the idea already exists in the market what is your Unique Selling point – what will make people buy from you as opposed to your competitors.

Anyway food for thought – keep that enthusiasm flowing.

Kind Regards
    Selene

Jocelyn
    Up
    Selene, post: 24089 wrote:
    Hi Jocelyn

Yes I am a current business owner of Blondes Can Count, a Bookkeeping services business and have been running for about 5 years.

Oh boy, I always have huge ideas running through my head and have filled a notebook with these ideas. Often I find I will write down an idea and think OMG this is just the best thing going without breaking down the steps. Then I will break the idea up into pieces and work out the ins and outs of getting it going as well and the potential in the marketplace.
    I also find that once you have the idea formulated it can often be a matter of timing, both within your personal life and all the goings on and within the marketplace.

I guess when trying to work out whether the idea will turn into a successful business is by asking yourself
    1. If it is a service – is there a need
    2. If it is a product – is there a want/desire.

Also if the idea already exists in the market what is your Unique Selling point – what will make people buy from you as opposed to your competitors.

Anyway food for thought – keep that enthusiasm flowing.

Kind Regards
    Selene

Thanks Selene, Thats great advice once again. Congratulations on your success over these past years.
    What you have written to me about is exactly what I am going through now! I am trying so hard to formulate Ideas/goals/plans…etc, towards my dream of being a Business owner.
    I wish I could find the same kind of success as you have and I will for sure work towards it.

I appreciate hearing from you again.

Kind Regards,
    Jocelyn.

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

Hi Jocelyn
    You sound like you have loads of enthusiasm for this which is fantastic. One of the most important things in self employment is to believe in yourself and yoru product / business – getting a business up and running takes a huge amount of time and effort but if you really believe in what you are doing it gets you through those down times.
    It sounds like it is not ideas that is the issue but how to get them up and running? First thing – as others have suggested, write down all your ideas and add to each one what you would need to buy / invest in to get it up and running, whether you would need staff, products, equipment, premises, machinery etc., who your target market would be and ideas for how to reach them, who your competitors would be and how you would better them, what are your strengths and weaknesses, put together a budget and cashflow forecast to see what you would need to sell to break even and how much you would need to invest. Will you need a website? Where can you network online and offline – are there any networking organisations near you? Mixing with others in business will really help to inspire you. Put together a business plan for each idea based on the above answers. Think about how much time you are able and willing to put into the business. What are your goals that you want to achieve with it?
    Hope that helps a bit.

Jocelyn
    Up
    Ideas Book, post: 24111 wrote:
    Hi Jocelyn
    You sound like you have loads of enthusiasm for this which is fantastic. One of the most important things in self employment is to believe in yourself and yoru product / business – getting a business up and running takes a huge amount of time and effort but if you really believe in what you are doing it gets you through those down times.
    It sounds like it is not ideas that is the issue but how to get them up and running? First thing – as others have suggested, write down all your ideas and add to each one what you would need to buy / invest in to get it up and running, whether you would need staff, products, equipment, premises, machinery etc., who your target market would be and ideas for how to reach them, who your competitors would be and how you would better them, what are your strengths and weaknesses, put together a budget and cashflow forecast to see what you would need to sell to break even and how much you would need to invest. Will you need a website? Where can you network online and offline – are there any networking organisations near you? Mixing with others in business will really help to inspire you. Put together a business plan for each idea based on the above answers. Think about how much time you are able and willing to put into the business. What are your goals that you want to achieve with it?
    Hope that helps a bit.

Hi Sophie!
    First of all, thankyou for your great response! I appreciate it!
    You’re absolutely right when you mentioned That it’s not the ideas I have an issue with, but how to get them up and running! I have already thought about my Ideas, but I am yet to work out the nitty gritty of it all! I have already made the goal to work on my plans each and every day. But Once I’m done, where do I go from there!!! I may find that out when I am done planning, but as of now, I am still kind of “stuck”.
    I am very enthusiastic and unwilling to give up on my dream, no matter the challenges or upheavals I may face!
    Your Advice was great and I shall take it all on board when planning!

Are you a business owner yourself? I’d love to hear about your situation, both past and present!

Thankyou Again!

Kind Regards,

Jocelyn.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Hey Jocelyn,

If you’re after more information about the actual “how to” of starting a business, Karen a local FS resident has a website that might be helpfull – http://www.you-can-start-business.com/

I’m a bit like you, I hated working for other people. Never motivated to work hard for someone else’s success, in the hope that one day they might chuck me a bone. Bugger that for a joke.

It was hard for me to take the leap, with a mortgage and my wife having just recovered from a back injury and being made redundant at the same time. But we made the leap anyway, she started doing what she wanted to do (child care), and I started doing what I wanted to do (entrepreneur). If it doesn’t work out, then we end up back in office jobs, big whoop.

In the words of the wise Timothy Ferriss, identify what’s holding you back. What’s the absolute worse that’s going to happen if you went out on your own and it went flop. Have a small debt? End up back in a 9-5 office job? Lose an investment? Big whoop! Identify it, and you’ll find it’s not really anything to be scared of.

Out of all your ideas, put them in order of what you’d love to do the most. Then do some research and eliminate the ones that aren’t feasible (is there a market for it?). Pick one, plan it, go for it!

Good luck! :)

Chris

Jocelyn
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 24163 wrote:
    Hey Jocelyn,

If you’re after more information about the actual “how to” of starting a business, Karen a local FS resident has a website that might be helpfull – http://www.you-can-start-business.com/

I’m a bit like you, I hated working for other people. Never motivated to work hard for someone else’s success, in the hope that one day they might chuck me a bone. Bugger that for a joke.

It was hard for me to take the leap, with a mortgage and my wife having just recovered from a back injury and being made redundant at the same time. But we made the leap anyway, she started doing what she wanted to do (child care), and I started doing what I wanted to do (entrepreneur). If it doesn’t work out, then we end up back in office jobs, big whoop.

In the words of the wise Timothy Ferriss, identify what’s holding you back. What’s the absolute worse that’s going to happen if you went out on your own and it went flop. Have a small debt? End up back in a 9-5 office job? Lose an investment? Big whoop! Identify it, and you’ll find it’s not really anything to be scared of.

Out of all your ideas, put them in order of what you’d love to do the most. Then do some research and eliminate the ones that aren’t feasible (is there a market for it?). Pick one, plan it, go for it!

Good luck! :)

Chris

Hi Chris!
    Thankyou very much for your response! I will check out that website for sure, Right after I’ve written back to you!!!
    Yes, that is my main predicament, getting my Ideas off the ground and actually started!!!
    Thanks for telling me your story, How are you going today with your business? What kind of business do you own?
    Yes I have thought about those things you’ve mentioned, I am always constantly thinking “what if” but I know im still young at 22, and If things don’t work out, well at least I can say I had a go and took a chance, That’s all that matters to me since we only live once!!! So I’d rather think “why not”.
    I’d rather have a go and take a chance at having my own success than hoping to be thrown a bone, as you’ve put it!

Thanks for your great Advice Chris! I do intend to go for it!!!

Kind Regards,

Jocelyn.

Breevree73
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Hi Jocelyn
    There have been a few people tell you to get your ideas down on paper, draw up business plans, check into the viability of your idea, etc.
    While these are all worthwhile exercises to do, don’t let the practicalities overrun your natural instinct.
    You may find when you think it through, that you could make more money doing idea (a) than you could with idea (b) BUT if you love idea (b) more, go with it.
    There’s nothing more alluring to a potential customer than someone that loves what they do. It shows through in your personality, deeds, work ethic and life.
    Decide on your passion first. There’s no point in working a business that you eventually will come to despise. Make sure that you love what you are doing.
    (I’ve just started my business, after many years of lamenting that I wanted to be self employed. I am so happy to have chosen the path I have, and that I have taken the time to be sure I will be happy, contented & satisfied with my choice of business.)

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

That’s it! “Why not”!

And even if it falls on it’s ass, who cares! Get back on your feet and try again. If it means going back to a mundane job for a little while, so be it.

I started my business doing tech support, and it’s still going, but in retrospect I made a lot of mistakes on it. It’s anything but “niched”, just another generic business, nothing makes it special except it’s cool logo.

Since then, and with some mentoring of others here on FS, I’ve adjusted my focus to helping small businesses find success online.

Jocelyn
    Up
    Breevree73, post: 24192 wrote:
    Hi Jocelyn
    There have been a few people tell you to get your ideas down on paper, draw up business plans, check into the viability of your idea, etc.
    While these are all worthwhile exercises to do, don’t let the practicalities overrun your natural instinct.
    You may find when you think it through, that you could make more money doing idea (a) than you could with idea (b) BUT if you love idea (b) more, go with it.
    There’s nothing more alluring to a potential customer than someone that loves what they do. It shows through in your personality, deeds, work ethic and life.
    Decide on your passion first. There’s no point in working a business that you eventually will come to despise. Make sure that you love what you are doing.
    (I’ve just started my business, after many years of lamenting that I wanted to be self employed. I am so happy to have chosen the path I have, and that I have taken the time to be sure I will be happy, contented & satisfied with my choice of business.)

Hi BreeVree!
    Thanks very much for your reply!
    In response to your letter, For sure!!! I want to do something or get into something that I will LOVE!!! I couldn’t bear waking up in the morning going to a job, be it my own business or an employer, knowing I will dread the day ahead. This is why I am working hard on my planning, trying my best to figure out what I will LOVE to do, What will work, What will be competitive…etc.

I’d love to hear about your business, And how you got started and how it’s going today…

Thanks for your advice, I will surely take it on board and I hope to hear from you again.

Kind Regards,

Jocelyn.

Jocelyn
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 24200 wrote:
    That’s it! “Why not”!

And even if it falls on it’s ass, who cares! Get back on your feet and try again. If it means going back to a mundane job for a little while, so be it.

I started my business doing tech support, and it’s still going, but in retrospect I made a lot of mistakes on it. It’s anything but “niched”, just another generic business, nothing makes it special except it’s cool logo.

Since then, and with some mentoring of others here on FS, I’ve adjusted my focus to helping small businesses find success online.

Very true!!! That is what life should be about, taking chances and if it fails, Oh well…at least you’ve tried.
    Yes, Your logo looks great. However, I’m suprised you’ve said your business is “nothing special”…Of course it is, Because it’s YOURS.
    I commend you for taking an interest in and helping others find success, It’s a great thing you’re doing.

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up
    Jocelyn, post: 24250 wrote:
    I couldn’t bear waking up in the morning going to a job, be it my own business or an employer, knowing I will dread the day ahead.
    Hi Jocelyn,

It would be lovely to have a business where you never have those days – but the reality is (particularly when you’re starting out and the business IS only you) that these days will happen… The days when all the record keeping that you’ve been putting aside to do the stuff you love HAS to be caught up on – or the days when you have to chase outstanding payments – or you have to cold call some customers (though hopefully those will be rare, depending on your business) – or you have to see the accountant/lawyer/bank manager…

So keep the enthusiasm – run with the business – but accept the reality that not every day will be perfect. (Yes, this is the voice of current experience – we are a two person business, so we do EVERYTHING between us – even the dull, boring, administrative stuff – and will continue to do so until we can afford to pay someone else to do it).

Kathy

lukew
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

My advice,

If you are still out of a job, sign up to do a cert 4 in small business management incorporated in the NEIS programme.

It is a crash course, of 8 -12 weeks; during it you will cover all aspects of small business management as well as completing your business plan.

(You get to keep the training manual, which is fantastic for future reference or if you wish to completely go through it again at you own pace)

One great thing is you have a room full of bidding soloists, some of whom have been in business previously, so plenty of ideas and feedback flows. Instead of you working solo at home on your business plan.

At the end of it you choose; yes / no to sending your plan to NEIS for approval. If approved you receive $450 per fortnight for 52 weeks plus mentoring and access to fixed low interest rate loan $500 – $20000 (no security needed)

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.