Home – New Forums Tech talk I need a new “Notebook”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    ::
    Mischelle, post: 243178, member: 60404 wrote:
    Darn it I am late to the party:

https://www.linuxnow.com.au/nshpV6E48PA.html

Is that the machine you use Mischelle? How do you rate it?

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 243182, member: 20554 wrote:
    Is that the machine you use Mischelle? How do you rate it?

I use the 32GB RAM 512GB SSD drive version, great machines, I just quoted that one as I wasn’t sure a budget of $6K was an option LOL

These all have Linux installed (you choose you OS), it saves mucking around with uninstalling Windows and all the accompanying software plugins :)

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    Mischelle, post: 243189, member: 60404 wrote:
    These all have Linux installed (you choose you OS), it saves mucking around with uninstalling Windows and all the accompanying software plugins :)

That’s a good find, having Linux pre-installed may stop many headaches. I notice they do dual boot as well :)

That’s a beast of a laptop you’ve got there!

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 243166, member: 78928 wrote:
    Good luck Greg – that screen sounds gorgeous to me!

The screen is great, as is the fancy monitor. Funny thing though is that the monitor is “plug and play” on the MacAir, but I can’t use the new notebook because it doesn’t have a suitable port to take the monitor cable :mad:.

Dell are either dumb or doing a bit of leveraged up selling (I suspect the latter). Now I have to buy (and wait for) an adapter so I can plug the XPS in…pretty weak that a monitor and a notebook from the same company can’t talk to each other with the stock cabling and ports. Another example of Mac’s “just working” imo.

Greg_M
    Up
    Mischelle, post: 243178, member: 60404 wrote:
    Darn it I am late to the party:

https://www.linuxnow.com.au/nshpV6E48PA.html

Thanks for the link anyway they look like a good way to go…did notice that they’re nearly $700 more than the Dell for almost the same spec. Maybe they’re better machines but for that money I’m happy to back myself installing Linux ;)

Cheers

Greg_M
    Up
    Mischelle, post: 243189, member: 60404 wrote:
    I use the 32GB RAM 512GB SSD drive version, great machines, I just quoted that one as I wasn’t sure a budget of $6K was an option LOL

It’s a wonder it doesn’t fly with that much RAM, guess it depends what you’re doing, nothing I do is that graphics intensive.

I never removed Windows when I was a full on Linux user, I’d just get a big grin on my face and wipe the whole hard drive clean.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,384
    Up
    Greg_M, post: 243201, member: 38207 wrote:
    The screen is great, as is the fancy monitor. Funny thing though is that the monitor is “plug and play” on the MacAir, but I can’t use the new notebook because it doesn’t have a suitable port to take the monitor cable :mad:.

Dell are either dumb or doing a bit of leveraged up selling (I suspect the latter). Now I have to buy (and wait for) an adapter so I can plug the XPS in…pretty weak that a monitor and a notebook from the same company can’t talk to each other with the stock cabling and ports. Another example of Mac’s “just working” imo.
    That’s Dell imo – I was burnt years ago – they have changed somewhat from the days where they had proprietary power supplies and batteries.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.