Home – New Forums Tech talk I need a simple landline telephone set-up for a two person office

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    James76
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi guys

I am not very tech-savvy and I have spent a lot of time searching for the right set-up but I am lost in a sea of SIP, DID, VOIP and everything else.

Currently I have a skype landline number but there is a horrible delay when it is transferred to my mobile. Clients have complained.

I want to keep my costs as low as possible and I am interested in a simple VOIP set up or a landline that transfers to a mobile without sounding like its been routed through to a call centre in some far off land.

I am hoping someone can tell me what the options are and possibly recommend a very simple set up and service provider at a reasonable price per month.

For example, what is SIP? How does it relate to VOIP? I would love someone to be able to tell me this in plain english.

Many thanks in advance!
    J

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

SIP is just the industry standard protocol used for Voice Over IP (VOIP) telephone calls. Don’t worry about all the technicalities.

DID is a direct dial number that anyone can call which can be received on your VOIP telephone. It’s like the landline number for your VOIP phone.

Don’t use Skype if you want professional business calls with no issues.

I recommend choosing a business grade VOIP provider who can set up all the exact functionality you are looking for – and they can easily.

Some worth looking at include:

Neural Networks
    Mynetfone
    Flex PBX.

Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up

Hi James,

I recently completed a project for a telecommunications wholesale company, and can put you onto them if you like. They seemed pretty confident of being very competitive and seem to know what they’re talking about.

Cheers,
    Shail

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    James76
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    arrowwise, post: 189428 wrote:
    SIP is just the industry standard protocol used for Voice Over IP (VOIP) telephone calls. Don’t worry about all the technicalities.

DID is a direct dial number that anyone can call which can be received on your VOIP telephone. It’s like the landline number for your VOIP phone.

Don’t use Skype if you want professional business calls with no issues.

I recommend choosing a business grade VOIP provider who can set up all the exact functionality you are looking for – and they can easily.

Some worth looking at include:

Neural Networks
    Mynetfone
    Flex PBX.

Much appreciated!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi James, and welcome!

You might also like to have a chat with long-term forum member Steve, from Divert to Mobile.

You can send him a private message using our system here, or visit his website.

I haven’t worked with him myself, but he’s a great guy and has some very satisfied customers around here.

Hope that helps, and thanks for joining the forum :)
    Jayne

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi James,

We offer a similar service as the one your using through skype but designed specifically for business. The call quality is always excellent and your callers wont notice a delay for the call being diverted to your mobile.
    I’d be happy to take your call diverted to my mobile so you can experience it for yourself.

PS. Im also able to save your current skype number

Steve

Lucid Web Design
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

Hi James,

As arrowhead explained, SIP is the protocol that transmits the voice. VOIP is the system the connects voice to the internet. DID is the phone number. You can rent a DID in almost any location. For example, you could have numbers based in Sydney, Melbourne, New York, Hong Kong & London that all route through the internet to your office.

The most commonly used software for VOIP is called Asterisk. It runs on Linux. It is open source and free. Having said that, it would probably be a better use of your resources to have it set up by and expert.

If you have an old, spare computer lying around and and fancy a bit of DIY you could download a distribution such as FreePBX (freepbx.org). It will install Linux and Asterisk plus give you a web interface to run it all. Install FreePBX will wipe the computer of all the old data.

cheers
    Derek

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.