Home – New Forums Marketing mastery I need advice re new business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Liz68
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Just started a new business and need some advice. I would like to keep my business private therefore will not be sharing my web address I hope this doesnt make my question too hard to answer.

Question:
    To carry out my Business I need a portfolio, however my portfolio is very limited and I would like to extend it. I currently have advertised on my website that people can try my services completly free to help build my portfolio.

Do you think that this is a bad idea? will it give clients the impression that I am unprofessional. Should I instead run competitions for peope to win services for free? or does anyone have any other ideas as to how I can build a better portfolio and attract business?

Thanks heaps for your help.
    Liz

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up
    Liz68, post: 89960 wrote:
    Just started a new business and need some advice. I would like to keep my business private therefore will not be sharing my web address I hope this doesnt make my question too hard to answer.

Question:
    To carry out my Business I need a portfolio, however my portfolio is very limited and I would like to extend it. I currently have advertised on my website that people can try my services completly free to help build my portfolio.

Do you think that this is a bad idea? will it give clients the impression that I am unprofessional. Should I instead run competitions for peope to win services for free? or does anyone have any other ideas as to how I can build a better portfolio and attract business?

Liz
    I don’t see how that’s unprofessional and I think that’s a good idea

Provided you do a good job of whatever the client needs, you can build a strong relationship out of that. The client can recommend you to their contacts and quite possibly they will come back to you for paid work.

I’d like to hear how it all goes!

Good luck!

DigitalDomination
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

I definitely wouldn’t say ‘Free Service’ EVER. You’re devaluing your business regardless of what you say.

Let me give you an example of my own business;

I’ve been involved in residential construction for over 15 years and in the middle of all this got my software engineering degree in 2003.

I started my first company after successfully growing another building company from less than $5M turnover to $16M turnover in 3 years. My first company is similar to an architects office where we sell design services then manage the tender service with multiple builders. I had so many of these builders ask me where i was getting my work from (90% of which is through online leads generated from 5 different websites i own). I used my formal education as a software engineer to build those sites and did all the SEO etc on them myself ranking highly in Google for dozens of related keywords. We’re outperforming many of the builders in the current climate in terms of enquiry and sales and our ROI on advertising is through the roof in comparison to their ROI on traditional advertising (that is really suffering from diminishing returns).

So many of the building companies i network with asked me to do the same for them. It got to a ridiculous point where i finally decided to launch Digital Domination and provide the service as they had all felt the same pain I had felt with their online marketing providers who promised a lot and never delivered.

What was absurd was as soon as I told a few people that I had launched the company I had 3 clients sign with us to produce their web site before we even had our own!

Now I didn’t have any previous portfolio, other that my own separate company – but that proof alone was enough for business owners to trust me that we could deliver the same results for them.

I’m sure you have your own story to tell – so tell it! That alone is enough to get your start. Don’t undervalue what you do.

DigitalDomination
    • Total posts: 184
    Up
    Liz68, post: 89960 wrote:
    Should I instead run competitions for peope to win services for free? or does anyone have any other ideas as to how I can build a better portfolio and attract business?

Liz

Liz one other suggestion i’d like to make;

Some recent analysis on Facebook marketing showed that ‘Giveaway’ in the facebook ads was the most effective way to generate followers on a business page. (Sorry but i can’t find that link to the original study).

I have no idea if Facebook is relevant for you, but i’d look at running a facebook competition on your facebook business page of some kind using a ‘Giveaway’ as a prize. One of the conditions could be that the prize winner allow you to write a story piece on the service you provided and also provide a testimonial for you.

Once you complete the competition and help whomever you could publish that also reinforcing your brand and service to your now established Facebook fan base.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Put limitations to your ‘free’ offer Liz. People will and do take advantage, way beyond your original intentions.

I would be more inclined to hand pick the people I was going to offer that service to with the proviso that they were happy for them to be listed in your portfolio. That way you have more control over what is happening and how. As you don’t actually say what type of business you’ll be running it’s a bit hard to give a more definitive answer.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

join your local chamber of commerce, business networking group, etc and offer a “member only” complimentary service in exchange for honest feedback and testimonial

u can also call non profit organisations and inform them that you would like to volunteer your services bcos u want to help those who help others.

SheInspires
    • Total posts: 247
    Up

If you go with competitions on facebook just be careful about their rules on comps – best only use them to promote competitions running on your own website, not on theirs.

I agree with the special offer ideas from hymstrategies and kathiemt as they are a win/win/win.

Just make it limited and carefully target your audience.

All the best!
    Belinda

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.