Home – New Forums Tell me straight… I need some feedback/help…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up
    ::

I run a magazine for Mums starting and running a business. We currently have a site at Business Mums Magazine and are about to upgrade it to a better one with more information & features.

Many of you here are soloists & in the target market for the magazine (it’s not just for Mums).

My question – what sort of information would you want to see on the site that would encourage you to subscribe/sign up?

TIA
    Melissa

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up
    MissieK, post: 234 wrote:
    what sort of information would you want to see on the site that would encourage you to subscribe/sign up?

Hi Melissa – just a thought, why not summarise what you have currently (in this post) and indicate what you’re planning to introduce. It may help generate discussion a little more.

MissieK
    Up

Great suggestion Robert :)

Here goes.

On the site we currently have:
    – sign up for 1 or 2 year subscriptions
    – sales of back issues & packs of back issues
    – business books & resource sales
    – a blog
    – newsletter sign up

We can add:
    – articles
    – forum
    – additional information pages
    – downloads

I’m not sure I want another forum… we will also have the ability for subscribers to have exclusive resources on the site.

hth
    Melissa

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Melissa that sound like a good website, and some of the books you have to offer look good.
    I know its for business mums but what about business dads, or grandads would your magazine help them as well?

Quitober
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Sorry no kids but one thing that would make it easier to get feedback perhaps is if you mentioned a few things that you were offering that will
    make your site a point of difference & then I could comment on it.
    Asking us to come up with the ideas is harder I think.

ie so the quote goes, if Henrey ford had of asked people what they wanted
    people would have answered a faster horse!

MissieK, post: 234 wrote:
    I run a magazine for Mums starting and running a business. We currently have a site at Business Mums Magazine and are about to upgrade it to a better one with more information & features.

Many of you here are soloists & in the target market for the magazine (it’s not just for Mums).

My question – what sort of information would you want to see on the site that would encourage you to subscribe/sign up?

TIA
    Melissa

David Head
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Hi Missie
    Having had a look at the site, here are my comments:

1. If I am in the target market then why is it called “Business Mums Magazine”? I suspect I am not in your sights!
    2. What is a WAHM? I suspect it is a work at home Mum but it is not explained and used like it is a well know acronym.
    3. I think there is too much to read to get the idea of what it is all about
    4. I am in the process of revamping my site and got some very good consulting advice recently. Among that advice was that you need obvious calls to action on your home page. You have some but they are not very big or obvious. “Subscribe Now” should be huge!
    5. Another bit of advice I got was to profile a visitor. Be her and ask what she would want to see and do right there and then. Divorce yourself from everything you know about your business and the magazine.
    6. So I need to know more information, and more quickly. How much is it? Why is it different to any other mag I get? What problem are you solving for me?
    7. The page title needs more explanation ;)

Just some random thoughts.

MissieK
    Up

Thanks for the feedback :) The current site was a very quick site, which is why we’re revamping it.

It’s called the “Business Mums Magazine” because that is the niche I work in & it’s easier to keep the branding of business mums going. The information is mostly general business info, but again it’s easier to tailor to a mum audience.

With WAHM – yes, it stands for work at home mum. For most Mums, they know what that means, however I will change it to include the full version then the acronym.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Please keep your thoughts coming :)

Melissa

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    David Head, post: 285 wrote:
    Hi Missie
    Having had a look at the site, here are my comments:

2. What is a WAHM? I suspect it is a work at home Mum but it is not explained and used like it is a well know acronym.

Just some random thoughts.

WAHM = Work At Home Mum. It is a very well known acronym. Try Googling it. Over 1.5M references to it.

David Head
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 333 wrote:
    WAHM = Work At Home Mum. It is a very well known acronym. Try Googling it. Over 1.5M references to it.

My point is that I had never heard of it before. I used to run a HBB but I would not use that acronym (no matter how popular it is on Google), especially on the home page of my web site without explaining it to visitors. I think Missie will be wise in explaining the acronym at least once, as she concurred.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

I confess, I’d never heard of it either. BTWTHDIK (but then what the hell do I know?!!).

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    David Head, post: 382 wrote:
    My point is that I had never heard of it before. I used to run a HBB but I would not use that acronym (no matter how popular it is on Google), especially on the home page of my web site without explaining it to visitors. I think Missie will be wise in explaining the acronym at least once, as she concurred.

Ah, but you’re not a mum who wants to work at home are you? ;-)

I understand what you’re saying but I bet if you ask any mum who works at home or wants to they will most likely know what it means.

haycreations
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Hi Melissa,
    I’m new to the Forum and just happen to be a Work at Home Mum who also has a small business, so I guess that puts me right in your target market!

With regard to your website I would have to agree with some of the comments already made by Des & David regarding specifying the benefits of your organisation.

Moreover, as there are already a couple of online Womens Business groups you need create a rapport with potential members by specifying:
    – the particular benefits of joining your group?
    – what can your organisation offer that the others don’t?
    – A brief explanantion of who owns or runs the organisation and why it was started?

Also, these benefits need to be stated up front and in your opening paragraph(s) so that people will feel the need join and register on your site even before you give them the opportunity to sign up.

Finally, rather than beginning with offering different types of membership, emphasise the free trial offer and highlight what information/resources will they get they have access to. After explaining the free trial offer, then go into detail different types of membership whilst highlighting benefits of each.

Hope this helps & goodluck

Melanie Hay
    Hay Creations Jewellery
    Online Boutique: http://www.haycreations.com.au
    Hay Creations Blog: http://haycreations.com.au/blog/

Lisa Murray – Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Hi Melissa
    I had someone review my website homepage recently as I wanted better results from it. One of the key learnings for me was to give people ONE action you want them to take – no more… for me that is the Opt-in. (don’t look yet – haven’t finished implementing!!) Once you have an opt-in, you have the capacity to upsell in all the other directions.

The other thing I’m going to do is to split test two completely different landing pages – an info heavy one re services etc and a straight-out opt-in for my free reports (it will be a much simpler, more visual page).

cheers
    Lisa

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up

Very clean design on the eyes. Easy and organised navigation.

MissieK
    Up

Thanks for the feedback – I do need to work on the copy on the home page – it’s on my list! I’d completely forgotten about this thread! lol

Melissa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.