Home – New Forums Get productive I really need to go away more often!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up
    ::

I’ve just had a week away on camp with my boys. On my return, I found 5 members had renewed their membership, another 2 new magazine subscriptions, lots of advertising enquiries, and a couple of book sales! I’m also recharged and fired up for business again and have decided to have a sale of back issues of the magazine to clear them out of my house!

The moral of the story – I need to have more down time, quality time with the kids, rather than sitting here stressing about business :)

Melissa

Heidi Price
    • Total posts: 218
    Up

I hear you!

We couldn’t get away these hols, so we camped out in the backyard instead. The rule was no electronic devises (eep!), so no computers, playstation, tv, etc.

A few days of playing board games and cards (poker anyone?). Ahhhh……..

We were recharged to attack work again, and the kids were itching to play everthing we had deprived them off. Peace and quiet reigned for a few days at least ;)

Heidi

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

So true Melissa!

I was up until 3am this morning finishing a job for a client.

On Saturday, I head to Coolangatta to spend a week on the beach with my mum … she lives in Brisbane and I’m in Melbourne so we only see each other a couple of times a year … so it’s become a tradition for us to spend a week together on the beach at the end of January every year … I had to miss it last year for the first time in about 6 years and I really suffered for it.

I need the time to recharge, to spend time with my family and relax … it makes me better throughout the year …

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Short breaks are always the best. You dont get bored, you dont miss your work too much and to just veg out recharges the batteries very quickly.
    The longest break Ive had in the last 30 years has been 10 days. I’m due to go overseas this year for a month and that will be the longest break since 1973. ( think of the money Ive saved).

Though I have to agree a week here and a week there three or four times a year does you good.

LukeH
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

Good point MissieK. One of the main reasons that many of us go into business is to be able to spend more time with family. The flexibility of your own business can grant you that.

It’s unfortunate when the flipside occurs and you become chained to your business and clients as I have experienced from time to time. And then taking even a few days off becomes difficult. Getting 4 weeks of paid leave per year from an employer can then seem like a better option!

My wife has always been good at keeping family time and work time separate. She reminds me that once I have come home from the office for the evening, then mobile doesn’t need to be answered. It’s true – if someone calls at 6pm it can usually wait until 9am the next morning.

We also find it helpful to book holidays a fair way in advance. We can prepare well for the time away and let customers know and prepare them for it. Some of the holidays we’ve had over the past few years with our young family have been very memorable. If my business can’t support my time with family then it’s just not worth it.

@Heidi
    – backyard camping sounds like a great idea! Will have to try that one out soon.

tildavirtual
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

I was really close to burn out this year and it scared me. I’ve had two breaks since Christmas, one was a proper break and the other was to move interstate to Melbourne. I’m feeling recharged and more hopeful then I was last week.

Lisa Murray – Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Hi Melissa
    I’ve been at the ugly end of the burnout scale and now that I’ve recovered, I prioritise downtime very highly.

I had two weeks off at Christmas (the most time I’ve had in a row for 2 years), went to the beach, chilled out and didn’t talk to anyone about work – oh wow how great did I feel coming back on the 6th! I have had the most productive January ever and opportunities are falling my way all over the place.

Sometimes we think our business is all about us (ie nothing can happen if we aren’t ‘there’) but really, its about setting up for the opportunities (ie being ‘ready’), and then offering the space and the willingness to allow them to arrive in good timing. Works for me!!

Downtime is where the amazing ideas come from, the serendipitous contacts, the complete clarity because you’ve had some space away from your business… its value cannot be underestimated!

cheers
    Lisa

MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up

I had major burn out/depression last year – so bad my GP was talking hospitalisation. I have a nanna nap most days when school is on! Though this is the first time I’ve been away in a while.

Time out needs to be prioritised, big time!

Melissa

ActiveCounselling
    • Total posts: 38
    Up

Being a counsellor you can probably all predict what I am going to say:
    “LIFE BALANCE”.
    It keeps the mind fresh and motivated for all aspects of your life.

Also thanks for putting this up I will be sending a couple of my clients to this thread as it is important for people to understand that others have experienced the same burn out pain. Plus that it is possible to bounce back stronger and more knowledgable.

Regards,

David

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

Well Ive done it Booked tickets and paid the fare, so there is NO turning Back.

Having done that I have suddenly realised I DO need a break just getting away from the grandkids will be fun.

So we are having three and a half days in Singapore before starting the binge tour of the UK. ( I wonder if I can send my favourite wines on ahead).

Heidi Price
    • Total posts: 218
    Up

YAY Patrick!!!!

I hope you will post some pictures of your holiday when you go – and tell lots of stories when you get back ;)

Heidi

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

For now, I have just decided that I need to slow down a little bit.

Have managed to burn the rice this last week – twice, by not turning the stove off properly when I was sure I had. Had some equipment problems, never good for the morale. And today had a small bingle in my car.

Not serious damage, more frustrated than anything that I haven’t had an accident for over 30 years. My wife tried to soften the blow by saying “but you didn’t have kids in the car for most of that time”.

I did at least boil the kettle, make and drink my tea today before it got cold.

Still, there’s nothing for it, I am just going to have to admit that I can only do so much and make sure I get to do something therapeutic occasionally, like fix up the house!!!

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

Hey paul, look at those incidences as the downside of the week evry else you do this week has tio be a plus.

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Burgo

I would not like you to think that I was feeling depressed, or maybe oppressed, yesterday when I posted the foregoing (well maybe just a tad). I guess its more just that as I read posts from the “young ones” (and for any one else please take that as a compliment) talking about forging ahead, improving business skills, becoming marketing and promotion experts etc. etc., I have to remind myself of all the lessons I have learnt so far in life (even though I freely admit even I still have a lot to learn about running a “successful” business) and that I am father of 3 young, intelligent and very active children.

I should be a grandfather at my age and I should be able to choose to escape from the grandchildren and decline to help my children to build their houses etc., but God chose otherwise and decided to present us with 3 miracles comparatively late in our lives. And this means by the way, that we do not have grandparents or other family members to farm the kids off onto.

All that to say that I am aware that 1/ I can learn a great deal from others and give of myself to others (which is partly why I am here) and 2/ my situation, as someone else alluded to elsewhere on this forum, is a bit unique in that I have to take advice and filter it for my particular situation.

An example may help, last weekend we took the kids to the IMAX theatre in Sydney, I took 2 into a 3D annimated film on the Apollo moon walk flight. Afterwards came the questions and I found I could answer most from personal knowledge, anyone half my age would be sent to the internet for a weeks research but I was in my early working life when it all happened. Problem is you are not sure then whether to be happy that you have that knowledge, or depressed because you are really that old!!!!

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

Paul,
    Be happy that you can give the answers without looking on the internet. We have experienced things that our children and childrens children will never be able to.
    It sounds as if you can still remember the days of Radio, before TV , then the black & white TV, then the colour TV, video. Even propeller driven aircraft to jet propelled to space flight.
    From the 60’s and 70’s music and cultural revelution. WOW

Never be or become depressed because you THINK your old, your not because your children keep you young.

This forum for guys like us is a wealth of information, and people like you who are happy to give of their knowledge to those of us that want to learn.

Just take things one day at a time, but include time to relax with a beer scotch or glass of wine, and enjoy.

ps. kids are hard work, ask any Mum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.