Home Forums New here? Share your story I run a new online retail bookstore.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Thebookbarn.com.au
    • Total posts: 29

Hi all,
    My name’s Paul and I own an online bookstore.
    I also own an actual bookstore located in Rosebud Victoria.
    I’ve been in business for a few years now, and it’s always been a steady source of income.
    But I’m ready to start growing my business and I’m just here trying to find like minded people from whom I can get advice and maybe to whom I can give advice too.
    Right now I’m interested in learning all I can about marketing. So if you have any knowledge in that department I’d love to hear from you.

Paul
    http://www.thebookbarn.com.au
    http://www.rosebudbookbarn.com.au

WWDesign
    • Total posts: 56

Hi Paul,

Your websites look great. Congratulations on having such a good online presence with a real world shop as well. Great you are on Twitter too.

We are coming up to our second birthday, so I am learning marketing and PR on the fly. The most important thing I think is being aware of your intended audience. Knowing your market will allow you to deliver them a more appealing marketing pitch.

I would pursue online strategies because of the low cost. Do Twitter only coupons. Build a strong newsletter with good info. Build on existing relationships, encourage word of mouth. Look into CRM software to manage your client list.

Good luck.

Michael_R
    • Total posts: 130

The advice from Dave was spot on.

I would make you sign up to our newsletter bigger and maybe give a discount for signing up. 10% off first the first order/free delivery?

Maybe with you sign up look at using a pop-up that only comes up the first time people come to your site. Yes some people will say don’t do it – thou it does really increase your sign ups!

Also when I look for anything to do with twitter on a site I look for 2 things – the blue logo or a clear join us on twitter with the @username

chat later

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,465

Hi Paul,

Lovely to meet you and thanks for joining the gang.

Like Dave and Michael I was very impressed with the classiness of your sites.

Hope you enjoy hanging out with us here – I’m looking forward to your contributions to our chats.

All the best,
    Jayne

Thebookbarn.com.au

Thanks for the good advice and encouragement.
    I’ll definitely be following some the suggestions.
    First thing I’ll be doing is putting some more effort into promoting the sign up on the news letter.
    I do have a newsletter in place but I’m probably not utilizing it enough.
    Thanks.
    I’m really loving this website! There’s a lot here that’s extremely helpful.

Paul

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,465

Oh, thanks Paul! We love having you around.

Actually, I was thinking this morning, you might have some great tips to add to our reading list… have you noticed this thread? http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/working-smarter/7902-best-small-business-books-shelf.html

Please feel free to contribute any good books you know of!

All the best,
    Jayne

Thebookbarn.com.au

That’s a great thread to know about. Thanks Jayne!
    Not only is it great that I can offer suggestions on books, it’s also fantastic to see what other people are reading. I may have to start getting some of these books in stock!

Paul

SheInspires
    • Total posts: 247

Welcome! I hope you’ll find this place a great resource and a source of inspiration as well!

I was just thinking useful content for you – website, newsletter, social media etc – would be reading lists or a book club.

I’m reading through all of the Jane Austen novels because I realised when watching “The Jane Austen Book club” that I’ve read all of Patrick O’Brian’s books TWICE and only read one Austen novel.

So I’m in the midsts of my penultimate Austen novel and loving it.

But maybe a virtual online book club where your reading community can read and discuss a book, find a list of books for their own book club to read and even a service that if you like this book then you might like these other books – a bit like other shoppers have bought these books etc but also like the reference book about authors.

I’d also leverage off Oprah’s success with her book club as there are a bundle of useful keyword phrases you could bring traffic in with from articles on your website about each of the books that talented lady has marketed.

Once something like that is up, tweeked and working, look to leverage it again with other famous book clubs and the people connected with them.

We run online competitions for books on She Inspires and that works well for us too.

Do enjoy and good luck!

Cheers,
    Belinda

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.