Home – New Forums New here? Share your story I think i need a mentor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bayside
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

New to the forum 1st post,

I’ve had a bit of a read and this place might be just what I’m looking for.

My Story (last 10 Months)
    So i had a job that was seasonal, pay was good things were going well i knew i had a decent amount of money coming to me soon and thought when this job finishes ill have my money and ill start a business and everything will be great, well the work dried up, i got my money and I’ve sat here like a deer in the headlights for the last 2 months.

Im usually not an anxious person and thought when i have money everything will fall into place, I’ve had business ideas i was going to start up a aerial photography business, i have done some work with it but I’m just not sure if it would work in the long run, then i thought id start up a hydrographics business and then realised getting a tank to australia from china would be a nightmare and who knows if i would generate enough business or if i could get a contract, then i decided i was going to do a gardening and home maintenance business and then came to the conclusion that there were to many people already doing this in the town i live in, I’m freaking out, i have no income.

I’m the artistic type, i take great aerial photography the hydrographics thing i find interesting but i need cold hard cash income i have gotten by buying and selling a few things a boat a trailer a car I’m not bad at selling , there isn’t a lot of work where i live i need to either start my own thing up or I’m just going to wither away to nothing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Welcome to the forums and kudos for being so honest about where you’re stuck.

The truth is you can’t know the answer. You’ll never know for sure what will work out. So what can you test on a small scale in a short time without spending too much? You’re testing for whether you can get customers, make a profit, and whether you like it.
    Good luck!
    Dave

Bayside
    Up
    Dave – FS Concierge, post: 249337, member: 49676 wrote:
    Welcome to the forums and kudos for being so honest about where you’re stuck.

The truth is you can’t know the answer. You’ll never know for sure what will work out. So what can you test on a small scale in a short time without spending too much? You’re testing for whether you can get customers, make a profit, and whether you like it.
    Good luck!
    Dave
    yeah i sort of tested out the aerial photography, i love doing it but i don’t think there will be a lot of repeat business

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

It sounds like you have thought about a lot of options, but not actually pushed through and implemented, sounds like you thought it sounded to hard, so you gave up.

2 important things in business, it is hard to get started, and you have to just do it.

It’s easy to procrastinate, it’s harder to bite the bullet and do it.

Bayside
    Up
    bb1, post: 249345, member: 53375 wrote:
    It sounds like you have thought about a lot of options, but not actually pushed through and implemented, sounds like you thought it sounded to hard, so you gave up.

2 important things in business, it is hard to get started, and you have to just do it.

It’s easy to procrastinate, it’s harder to bite the bullet and do it.
    But i work hard!! when i set my mind to something i go hard, i just want to make sure my time and money will be well spent

mikeoda
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

We usually do best what we enjoy doing.
    Does your experience with aerial photography include pics & videos from drones?
    Remember in the old days when photographers would attend events and take snaps of everyone & anyone, then offer prints to the subjects for a fee?
    I’m thinking that drone-based images & vids of events, properties, attractions, etc in your area might be something you could build into a library & sell to owners – eg video tours of b&b’s for proprietors to put up on their websites & facebook pages.
    Dive in & see where you can take it.

Paul Beaupark
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hi

The following is a link to the Victorian Government site for starting a business. There are templates including one for a business plan. If you make a written plan which includes a SWOT analysis, you will quickly gain more confidence if your business idea is sound and the steps needed to start.

http://www.business.vic.gov.au/setting-up-a-business/how-to-start-a-business/write-a-business-plan

All the best

Paul Beaupark

Bayside
    Up
    mikeoda, post: 249733, member: 98391 wrote:
    We usually do best what we enjoy doing.
    Does your experience with aerial photography include pics & videos from drones?
    Remember in the old days when photographers would attend events and take snaps of everyone & anyone, then offer prints to the subjects for a fee?
    I’m thinking that drone-based images & vids of events, properties, attractions, etc in your area might be something you could build into a library & sell to owners – eg video tours of b&b’s for proprietors to put up on their websites & facebook pages.
    Dive in & see where you can take it.
    At the moment i live in the country, in 2 months ill be living in the city opportunity central, I’m prepared to work my ass off and you are right if you enjoy what you do then thats half the battle won, and yes i mainly do still shots id post some up but thats seeming a little difficult
    Bayside
    Up
    Paul Beaupark, post: 249735, member: 99509 wrote:
    Hi

The following is a link to the Victorian Government site for starting a business. There are templates including one for a business plan. If you make a written plan which includes a SWOT analysis, you will quickly gain more confidence if your business idea is sound and the steps needed to start.

http://www.business.vic.gov.au/setting-up-a-business/how-to-start-a-business/write-a-business-plan

All the best

Paul Beaupark
    Yeah thanks for this, a solid business plan before i start something will get me thinking and planning ahead cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.