Home – New Forums Selling online I Want to open an online store

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    PaniaDee
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hey everyone,

Well I’m a complete newbie when it comes to online stores and I just want to absorb any info that anyone has.

So basically I’m in Sydney, Australia and I want to do an online store for unisex fashion singlets. I’m having them made and want any info on what the next step would be.

I’ve applied for an ABN number and am waiting for my application to be processed.

I know I need a domain name.
    But what else do I need to apply for?
    Are there any legal requirements that I will need to be aware of and apply for?
    Should I be applying for anything to protect my company and it’s name?
    And are websites like shopify and my online shop (auspost) trustworthy and worth spending the money on? And do they look after the payment transaction side of things also?
    Also are there any hidden costs that I should be aware of?

I know there’s quite a few questions, but I’m just curious on where I need to start to kick things off. Any tips and helpful hints would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advanced

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi there,

Welcome to Flying Solo!

We have a bunch of members with experience in ecommerce so I’m sure there will be plenty of advice.

I just have one tip. Considering you’re investing a good amount of time and money into this business, you want it to succeed right? Well considering you don’t have any experience with online stores, what exactly is it that will give you the edge over competitors and make you stand out? Will it be your designs? Your great product photography? Your customer service? Celebrity models? Are you awesome at PR? Something else?

Good luck!

Dave

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    PaniaDee, post: 190600 wrote:
    And are websites like my online shop (auspost) trustworthy and worth spending the money on? And do they look after the payment transaction side of things also?

Also are there any hidden costs that I should be aware of?

I know there’s quite a few questions, but I’m just curious on where I need to start to kick things off. Any tips and helpful hints would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advanced

Hi there and welcome aboard.

Australia Post My Online Shop is a great system to help you get started. I helped to create the system and know it pretty well. It is fully hosted and managed by Australia Post. It also has integration for all Australia Post services that support online businesses built in. It is the best Australia Post shipping integration available.

If you want some advice on start up issues that a look at our 10 Steps to eCommerce Success. We have tried to offer some independent advice and guidance.

Good luck with the business.

John

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi PaniaDee,
    You ask enough questions to keep Internet marketing, legal, financial and business advisors busy for months.

If you are this much of a newbie, be very, very careful! It sounds like you need to learn a lot before you commit any money.

Be aware that most online stores fail!

1. Your Business Name
    You obviously need one and you need to consider the implications for your domain name.

2. Domain Name
    You need a domain and it will help if you include a keyword in it. If it is only ever going to sell “singlets” you could look to register a domain name like (whatever)”singlets”.com.au.

Your domain name should relate to your business name. Eg: If your business name is “Smith and Daughter” you could register the domain, smithsinglets.com.au.

You will need a hosting service for your domain name but let your web designer/developer recommend this service provider.

3. Any Legal Requirements
    You don’t mention accounting support. You will definitely need these services and I suggest you talk to an accountant about legal and financial issues initially. An accountant won’t be able to implement legal issues but will probably be able to give you the basic answers you need in this area.

4. Which Shopping Cart Program
    You are so far away from this decision…

There are hundreds of e-commerce systems. Each one is only as good as the web developer who installs them.

The basic answer is to find a shopping cart developer you can trust. Then, let them make the decision about which cart to implement on your website.

Good luck and regards,
    JohnW

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.