Home – New Forums Marketing mastery i would appreciate feedback and suggestions on my marketing ideas plse

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    keepsmiling
    • Total posts: 53
    Up
    ::

I am thinking of setting up a stand on sunday to promote the free ceiling insulation. I am also looking at offering between $50 and $60 free voucher or movie tickets with every free ceiling insulation booking.
    Does everyone think this is a good deal?
    Would you as a consumer like it?
    I am trying to market my product but dont really know.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    :)

Gillian-SEO
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

We’ve had the free insulation put in our ceiling only a few weeks ago and it’s such a good deal, it should really promote itself. I think what clinched the deal for us is that we didn’t have to pay upfront and then redeem the rebate later and have to do the paperwork. I’m not sure if you’re doing that already but in my opinion, that is more attractive to customers than offering free movie tickets. The people who did our house are practically doing the whole street and simply did a door knocking campaign.

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

I’m with Gillian.

We had a call from a company about this the other day and said yes immediately – ‘bonuses’ would be a waste of your money. People are going to take it up on the strength of the offer.

What really impressed us about this particular company was that THEY phoned US and organised everything (granted, they then didn’t show up to their appointment so major follow-up FAIL – but they definitely made the sale and we’ll definitely buy from the next person who bothers to ring and actually turn up … shame for them that they made the sale and someone else will get the money, but that’s how it goes!).

Get on the phones and start calling – forget about the ‘value add’ – the deal is good enough on it’s own!

Adam Randall
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

OK I will ask the obvious – if all this wonderfull free stuff is floating around, how do you put food on the table?

The word “free” instantly puts me on guard.

small business marketing
    • Total posts: 94
    Up

its a Federal Government grant that will pay up to $1600 to have insulation installed. The installers generally offer the service to homeowners for free because they then get $1600 from the Government.

SJacob
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

1) may be targeting local community events or markets
    2) or having a temporary website – we can help you there
    3) specials are always a clincher. I wouldnt refuse your voucher

Cheers

LeelaCosgrove
    Up

Of course you wouldn’t REFUSE the voucher – but if you own your home and you can get $1600 worth of free (Adam: Government pays for it … whole thing is totally legit, I checked it out when they called us) insulation for your home, the voucher isn’t going to make up your mind = total waste of marketing dollars.

I wouldn’t waste my time online either:

1. Not enough people know about it.
    2. Trying to get the momentum up will take ages (and $$).

The best way to sell this is to start calling people .. hi, do you have a house? Awesome … do you have insulation? Because the Government is going to give you $1600 worth of free stuff – would you like us to come out and check your eligible.

The offer is awesome.

But not exclusive.

There are companies out there right now on the phone to your clients with exactly the same offer (I know, they called me!) – and it’s all going to come down to who gets to them first.

Pure numbers game – pure sales as a contact sport.

Want the cash?

Forget about marketing – you don’t have time.

Get on the phone and start selling …

seekabusiness.com.au
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

I’m with all of the other comments, but look at what similar organisations do.

Real Estate agents do this type of marketing well with flyers down certain streets stating they will be in the street between 9 am and 9 pm on a certain day. Provide your mobile so they can contact you for you to meet with them.

Do this for numerous streets in a particular area which have homes of the age/type/etc where they probably don’t have insulation. In other words, don’t target an area which typically have homes which all would have had insulation installed at the time of building. Lower socio-economic areas would be best for this.

You can give us the movie tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps.

Lucki
    • Total posts: 147
    Up

Incentive from the government to pay $1600 is an offer most people wouldn’t refuse. Target areas where the housing is older and is likely to require new insulation. A leaflet drop outlining the free insulation to the value of $1600 and your contact details is a good idea. Have a huge flyer in the back of your car advertising it.

Giving away free movie tickets and vouchers in this case would be wasting your dollars, the government incentive is big enough.

Good luck.

Cheers
    Lucki

bretthillcoat
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

My two cents worth.. Since the government announced this rebate scheme, insulation installers have started popping up left right and centre. I have heard some stories of some pretty dodgy operators out there, so from my point of view I would want a company that presents itself in a very professional way. That means in all aspects of your marketing and business, from the way you present yourself, the way you answer the phone, to the way you take bookings, your marketing materials, your uniforms everything. If you are a start up, you don’t have to spend a great deal to do this. I would stay away from the gimmicks and giveaways… as stated, this is selling itself so you need to stand out. Get referrals from all of your current customers, and if you are going to give away movie tickets etc, give them to your current customers who pass referrals on to you. If someone is going to invite you into their home or business, they need to feel that they can trust you, and one of the best ways to do that is to have someone they know refer you to them.
    All the best,
    Cheers,
    Brett

THE SALES WARLORD
    • Total posts: 141
    Up

What is WRONG with you people?

What is going on here?

It cost’s 40c to make a phone call and arrange an appointment.

It cost $15 for a movie ticket.

It costs $800 for a half decent copy writer to put together a direct response flyer and THOUSANDS to print and distribute them.

It cost’s 40c to call the prospect and book them into an appointment.

Fer crying out loud its not even a freaking sale you are basically calling to give $1,600 dollars AWAY?

And you want to spend MORE of this business’s money on redundant gimmicks that don’t EVER replace real salesmanship – personship – you get me?!??!?!!?!

What is wrong here is that all of you want to give stuff away – no one wants to pick up the scary old phone and build value.

Pathetic.

Really.

Guys.

Sales, it isn’t even sales.

bretthillcoat
    Up

geez mate, you are on your high horse there a bit arent you? On re-reading those posts, I couldn’t see too many of them that actually called for him to give money away. Don’t know what you were reading. As for getting on the scary old phone.. we get about 5 phone calls a day from these ceiling insulation installers.. that is apart from the carpet cleaners, print cartridge salesman etc etc. Not much relationship building going on there.. about ready to tell them what they can do with that phone.
    another thing, not all people are salesmen, don’t have the confidence to sell to people over the phone, or maybe just don’t want to cold call (perhaps because they hate being cold called themselves). Good for you if you do, but mate it’s not the only way to sell cheaply.

THE SALES WARLORD
    • Total posts: 141
    Up
    bretthillcoat, post: 16529 wrote:
    geez mate, you are on your high horse there a bit arent you? On re-reading those posts, I couldn’t see too many of them that actually called for him to give money away. Don’t know what you were reading. As for getting on the scary old phone.. we get about 5 phone calls a day from these ceiling insulation installers.. that is apart from the carpet cleaners, print cartridge salesman etc etc. Not much relationship building going on there.. about ready to tell them what they can do with that phone.
    another thing, not all people are salesmen, don’t have the confidence to sell to people over the phone, or maybe just don’t want to cold call (perhaps because they hate being cold called themselves). Good for you if you do, but mate it’s not the only way to sell cheaply.

Re reading my post I sound PISSED don’t I!

Because I am really passionate about this topic.

I may have ruffled a few feathers, I will probably ruffle a few more!

At the end of the day people are offering free advice on how to spend money rather than make sales.

Free advice can be pretty bloody dangerous eh?

Perhaps I DO get frustrated when I see people advising a bloke to buy movie tickets and print flyers before anything gets sold.

That sort of thing is poison.

Cashflow IN is the reason we are in business no?

And I see a lot of it as a professional sales consultant and salesman of many years, I watch clients do all kinds of things to avoid getting around to actually having that conversation that makes the sale.

Which is bad, but it’s worse when a whole bunch of folk ENABLE that suicidal business killing behavior.

When I re read the thread I see several references to movie tickets and flyers.

These DO cost money.

When I say giving money away I mean your insulation boom is giving $1,600 dollars away, perhaps I wasn’t clear – but my point is if there’s 5 people a day calling you how is this business going to compete by sending you a flyer?

You can’t screw up a person and put them in the trash.

Well, you wouldn’t want to try with me ; )

As to your comments regards the 10 people a day who ring you TRYING to sell something, so I guess they have no Unique Value Proposition or point of difference that makes you think “gee I need that”.

Hate to tell you, but they aren’t real salespeople, a real salesperson CARES deeply about their product or services (get’s frustrated at times too!) and knows EXACTLY why you should be considering whatever it is – and will skillfully consultatively take you through a systemised process which enables them to decide whether YOU are a customer – or not – and if not move on QUICKLY not wasting your time or theirs.

Being clumsily pitched by desperate incompetent “salespeople” is something few relish, but a passionate business person who cares about what they do – isn’t that YOU?

I disagree that not all people are salespeople – everyone sells un consciously every day.

“hey john wanna come over”
    “nah”
    “got beer”
    “ok!”

Most people can develop enough trust and rapport to make friends, join sports teams, talk to people, complete transactions in stores etc.

There is this abiding myth that sales is about manipulating and scheming and confidence and tricks.

It’s about being SO passionate about what you do and so 100% of the value and investing in the training to COMMUNICATE that effectively that your prospects find you trustworthy and want to hear more.

Sales is about building trust and just having a conversation that enables you to decide if you can help someone with your product or service and then to offer them that option.

Thats it – no mystery.

It’s not scary.

What people are scared of is that the person will not see the value and that they will stuff it up somehow and appear foolish.

This is actually soluble, with the right training.

But instead everyone rather than take that training and learn how to do it well and professionally gives in to the weak option and decides that all “sales is evil” and that they HATE salespeople.

So you sell well, but you don’t sell on the phone?

So why is it ok for YOU to sell and not everyone else?

People in business who hate being sold to and who can’t sell confuse me?

Wouldn’t it be easier to be employed?

That’s why I was put on this earth – this is my calling.

Sales is something that every business needs and most loathe the very idea of and it’s got to stop.

Sales and marketing are CORE business skills and the thing every SUCCESSFUL business has in common.

If you don’t consider yourself a salesperson – you shouldn’t be in business.

You are doomed for failure.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but how do you survive without incoming predictable cash flow from someone somewhere in your business taking cash or credit card details?

With a lot more stress I bet!

If you have someone else doing it for you how do you manage them to improve results if you have no idea and loathe sales?

Can you see why so many business go broke in the first 3 years?

Why is Sales such a freaking dirty word when it means growth in your business and the freedom to do more or less as you choose?

No phone isn’t the only way to sell, but it IS the cheapest and fastest and I am not just talking out my rear – this is MY industry.

This is MY specialty.

And I do tend to get passionate.

It’s not “against” you or anyone else – it’s about getting this issue into the light.

LeelaCosgrove
    Up
    bretthillcoat, post: 16529 wrote:
    another thing, not all people are salesmen

It might be true that not all people are salesmen (although I don’t believe it – everyone sells all the time … sales is just creating a relationship with a client and then asking them to take action. Anyone who is in a relationship or marriage has sold).

However all business people, by definition, are.

If you don’t like to sell, why would you even BE in business? Selling is the dictionary definition of what a business IS.

bretthillcoat
    Up
    LeelaCosgrove, post: 16535 wrote:
    It might be true that not all people are salesmen (although I don’t believe it – everyone sells all the time … sales is just creating a relationship with a client and then asking them to take action. Anyone who is in a relationship or marriage has sold).

However all business people, by definition, are.

If you don’t like to sell, why would you even BE in business? Selling is the dictionary definition of what a business IS.

All good points..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.