Home – New Forums Selling online Idea to get a bunch of reviews

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    ::

What do you think of the following idea to get reviews on my site:
    Sunday I’m going to the market anyway. My plan is to take some boxes of bellis perennis – the English daisy and a bunch of flyers.
    The message on the flyers will be: get a plant for free and review any of the plants you have bought in the past. I recon that at least 50% of those taking a plant would really write a review, which could be anything how they liked the plant as well as how they use it if the herbs helped or did not help…
    What do you think of this offline- online mix?

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

From the ACCC website

Fake or misleading reviews
    Businesses and review platforms that do not remove reviews that they know to be fake risk breaching the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.

Reviews may mislead consumers if they are presented as impartial, but were written by:

• the reviewed business
    • a competitor
    • someone paid to write the review who has not used the product
    • someone who has used the product but written an inflated review to receive a financial or non-financial benefit.

Tips for businesses
    The ACCC considers conduct such as the following to be misleading. You should not:

• encourage family and friends to write reviews about your business without disclosing their personal connection with your business in that review
    • write reviews when you have not experienced the good or service reviewed or which do not reflect a genuinely held opinion
    • solicit others to write reviews about your business or a competitor’s business if they have not experienced the good or service.

Offering incentives
    Businesses that offer incentives to those who write positive reviews risk misleading consumers and breaching the CCA. Incentives should only be offered in exchange for reviews of your business (its products or services) if:

• incentives are offered equally to consumers likely to be complimentary and consumers likely to be critical, and positive and negative reviews are treated the same
    • the reviewer is expressly told that the incentive is available whether the review is positive or negative
    • the incentive is prominently disclosed to users who rely on affected reviews.
    heftzwecke
    Up

Yes, the last three things apply. My offline customers go rarely if at all to the website, because I am there next market anyway. They should though because I cannot drag everything to the market. I got the idea because at the last market a lady told me that MY skullcap really helped her to overcome sleep problems, but these conversations never appear on the page.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

It would be easier to have an ipad at the markets and when customers either buy or return to you, ask them to enter a review.

Wendy :)

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,339
    Up
    MyGreatIdea, post: 244526, member: 20385 wrote:
    It would be easier to have an ipad at the markets and when customers either buy or return to you, ask them to enter a review.

Wendy :)
    Fantastic idea Wendy!

Trent Tran
    Participant
    • Total posts: 166
    Up
    heftzwecke, post: 244511, member: 88078 wrote:
    What do you think of the following idea to get reviews on my site:
    Sunday I’m going to the market anyway. My plan is to take some boxes of bellis perennis – the English daisy and a bunch of flyers.
    The message on the flyers will be: get a plant for free and review any of the plants you have bought in the past. I recon that at least 50% of those taking a plant would really write a review, which could be anything how they liked the plant as well as how they use it if the herbs helped or did not help…
    What do you think of this offline- online mix?

You are using Shopify? There are some FREE awsome apps which give you genuine reviews. For example

1. Yotpo (you can’t respond to the review in FREE version),
    2. Products Review add on: it will email your buyers after a period of time and asking them to review straight from email. Awesome apps

The above are 2 examples only, total genuine review as it only emailed to someone actually bought a product of yours without any incentives given.

If you are in a market, collect their email when selling plants to them. It will later after a week or so (you can customise the app) email them and ask for review.

heftzwecke
    Up

That is actualy a good idea to collect emails. Not only chatting to people.

El Arish Tropical Exotics
    • Total posts: 227
    Up

I have my Neto set up to automatically send out a feedback form a few weeks after dispatch rather than calling it product “reviews” on the website I call it “grow notes”. I’m going to change it to be set up for when the plant arrives and take out the star system.

There is a certain synergy between customer and online plants. If they stick it into direct sun out of the box or plant in the wrong climate or position the plant will be long dead by the time you ask for feedback. Which can open a new can of worms. Make sure you have a clear and simple returns/complaints process set up that includes photos of the plants within 24- 48 hours of receiving before asking for feedback. Also a “What to do when your plant arrives/plant care” section.

I don’t get many complaints or negative feedback but 99% of the time it’s after they have received the feedback email. Often it’s the customers fault so I point out the policy, the plant care section of the website and then offer to send a free replacement when they place their next order. It’s not always about who is right but what is a do-able solution that will keep customers coming back.
    God Luck!! Ann

Simon at SEOm
    • Total posts: 22
    Up
    El Arish Tropical Exotics, post: 245187, member: 6734 wrote:
    Often it’s the customers fault so I point out the policy, the plant care section of the website and then offer to send a free replacement when they place their next order.

I like that idea, I feel like even though there was an issue everyone still comes out a winner, the customer gets a replacement, even though it was there fault, and you get another order. As long as the replacement is costing you too much I imagine that would work quite well!

Up
    Simon at SEOm, post: 245220, member: 89455 wrote:
    I like that idea, I feel like even though there was an issue everyone still comes out a winner, the customer gets a replacement, even though it was there fault, and you get another order. As long as the replacement is costing you too much I imagine that would work quite well!

Yes, that’s the idea Simon. If I sent a replacement postage would kill me, if I ask them to pay postage I’m not gaining anything and they are a little put out but if I offer to send it next order I’m building a relationship :p

Ann

heftzwecke
    Up

I send always replacements. But in the last heatwave I had some negative experiences with the post. I will not send out during January and during any heatwave in future. Yes I should put some how to tips in the parcel… I always assume that people who buy online are garden entusiasts, but iut is not always true, I had to send ostheospermums to QLD!!!

Up
    heftzwecke, post: 245301, member: 88078 wrote:
    I send always replacements. But in the last heatwave I had some negative experiences with the post. I will not send out during January and during any heatwave in future. Yes I should put some how to tips in the parcel… I always assume that people who buy online are garden entusiasts, but iut is not always true, I had to send ostheospermums to QLD!!!
    That’s the paradox for online plant sellers. Success increases your exposure and attractiveness to less experienced gardeners. Spell everything out online. I recommend to customers spring for purchasing (heat waves can hit anytime and may not effect you but the area they are in), have individual growth requirements, loose climate zones, etc. You’ll still get customers who ignore everything you’ve written but it’s high quality content and you’ve covered your butt.
    Ann
    ps I soak everything in a kelp solution before sending. It helps with destressing the plants.
    John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    davidfederal, post: 245313, member: 93648 wrote:
    Selling a product and then if people buy and use that then ping them about the review of it.

[USER=93648]@davidfederal[/USER] Having an automated reminder email asking for a rating is a good idea. But spice it up by maybe adding a coupon. But remember that asking for a rating on a product that has not yet been received is a big negative. So make sure that there is enough time before you send the rating request for the customer to receive that delivery.

[USER=92690]@stylesupplier[/USER] it is not a good idea to have an anonymous group, who have not bought from you, do ratings and reviews of your products. It is similar to buying reviews and it will backfire on you.

The only good review is a real review. Don’t discount or delete negative review but use them to identify issues and possibly build a better relationship.

John

Up

John, I like your coupon idea. I’ve been toying with a small discount for repeat customers. That would be a great place to include the coupon.

Ann

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    stylesupplier, post: 246055, member: 92690 wrote:
    There are lots of reviews group on facebook.
    You can join them and ask for reviews.

This is only an option if they actually use your product, otherwise it is actually against the law. And I would question it ethically anyhow

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.