Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Ideas needed – how to market a pro testimonial

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I will have a beauty therapist test some of my skincare products shortly and I want to get her to write a testimonial.
    Now, one way to use it is putting it on my website/FB/Twitter but I think there may be another way to make the most of it. The big BUT is, I can’t think of anything. Only thing that comes to mind is a Press Release but is that really newsworthy enough for a Press Release?

Do you have any other ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
    Mel

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Mel – anywhere & everywhere :)

Other than the online ways you mentioned – what about:

• On any flyers/leaflets etc
    • Commenting on any relevant blogs etc you might follow
    • Rather than a ‘press release’ using a testimonial, if the therapist is affiliated with their own business/website etc perhaps they would write a little blog article etc about trying your product?
    • Contacting editors of beauty magazines and the like who might be interested in what the ‘pro’ beauty therapist has to say?

Just a few ‘off the top of my head’ thoughts… At the last place I worked before starting my own company, one of my clients was a particularly well known brand in relation to skin-care products/cosmetics etc in Australia – on of their biggest way of using ‘pro testimonials’ would be to contact editors of magazines (in their case, often they’d have a bit of a ‘launch party’ and invite them), and then, either the editors would write up about the new product, or, the client would submit ‘results’ or testimonials etc to various editors for them to do a bit of an editorial about them… If the magazine is interested in what this ‘pro’ has to say, they might publish something about it, and, best part is – wouldn’t cost you a cent for potentially huge exposure…

Anyway – all the best and hope the above gives you a few options to work with :)

Vossy
    • Total posts: 71
    Up

Hi Mel

If you can get her to do a video testimonial – so much more useful.
    You can still turn it into text but you get the benefits of people seeing its a real one and not some made up thing.

Cheers

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up
    Fingerfood, post: 129538 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I will have a beauty therapist test some of my skincare products shortly and I want to get her to write a testimonial.
    Now, one way to use it is putting it on my website/FB/Twitter but I think there may be another way to make the most of it. The big BUT is, I can’t think of anything. Only thing that comes to mind is a Press Release but is that really newsworthy enough for a Press Release?

Do you have any other ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
    Mel
    It depends on PR sites. Some set a minimum word count (300-500) and limit information about product features to two sentences. Your news can focus on the supply agreement between your friend’s clinic and your online store. But there are many free PR sites that accept ads as long as you provide newsworthy headline. ex. briefingwire.com (free), free-press-release.com

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

Hi Mel

Testimonials are vital and arguably the best advertising money can’t buy. I agree with Vossy that a video testimonial is gold. Not only does it portray 100% authenticity and believability but it also enables you to set up another avenue of marketing … a YouTube channel for your business. I also added the videos to my Testimonials page on my website. That way, website visitors can see them and if they want to, they can click through to your YouTube channel. Alternatively, people searching YouTube for the kinds of products/services you offer can also find your video testimonials. It’s important to add a transcript of the testimonial plus some relevant keywords to the text beneath the video on YouTube so your video gets picked up in searches.

You can also look into setting up a business profile on http://www.womo.com.au (Word of Mouth Online).

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

One clever way I’ve seen a good testimonial used is on a business card.

I’d probably put the “press release” on hold, as one press release on its own is little more than spam to the Internet or email boxes. Do we really need more of that?

When used in a structured sequence of other Press Releases, then it becomes useful and powerful.

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Testimonials?

Testimonials?
    We have long had countless testimonials and put many on our websites and thought they were great advertising, as I suppose many businesses do.
    However I have since learnt that a lot of people in our business and others fake them!
    So much so that there is a general distrust of them.
    In 2007 a company set up in our business, snake shows and kids reptile parties and they created a slick website and started to tout for business. There is nothing wrong with that part so far.
    They advertised that they were a long established business (15 years) and had lots of seemingly authentic testimonials to prove the point.
    I had never heard of this company when directed to them by a potential school teacher client who had been mailed and led to believe the website sales pitch.
    In my business, the market is small and I know all the players and I’d never heard of these people so I did a few checks. The website and business were both only about a month old. This was confirmed via WHOIS and ASIC databases.
    Therefore all the testimonials spanning 15 years had to be false.
    As our business is long established and we have legitimate testimonials on our site and we were recognized as being the best by many, I took umbrage at this new company’s lies (including non-stop claims of being “the best”) and lodged complaints with people like the ACCC.
    The ACCC and the other regulators responded that they weren’t interested in taking action against this new business for anything, even though they agreed that the company had been lying, faking information and faking testimonials and deceiving customers.
    The word they repeatedly used to describe the unethical activity was “Puffery” as in “lies that no one would believe” or “Lies you’d expect a salesman to make”.
    And so five years later, this business is still in business with the same fake testimonials on it’s website.
    I can give you further details (as in name and shame them) if need be, but I haven’t done this in the first instance as I am sure this story would be common to many industries.
    Now in our case, our business has become very cut throat (snakes?) and I recently put newer testimonials on our facebook pages. I included e-mail addresses and the like as I wanted people to know they were authentic and not fakes as seen with other businesses.
    Trolls working for rival businesses then contacted these people and harassed them in all sorts of ways, so now we make sure this information does not appear when we post testimonials. (Now they troll that we fake testimonials, so we can’t win either way).
    I mention all this so you know the various hazards to be found with regards to testimonials.
    All the best

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Re: Testimonials?

Snakeman, post: 129896 wrote:
    I can give you further details (as in name and shame them) if need be, but I haven’t done this in the first instance as I am sure this story would be common to many industries.

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for not mentioning the name of the business in question here, as to do so would be outside the forum guidelines, which state:

Quote:
    Public disputes: Flying Solo is not the appropriate channel for disputes or arguments between named individuals or companies. Any specific gripes about a product or service should be taken up directly with the company concerned.

It’s obviously been a very stressful scenario for you, and we appreciate your restraint!

Jayne

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

I was recently asked to write a testimonial for a client on their behalf. I don’t think this is appropriate and also, I feel it’s a bit unfair for a service provider – even if she is a writer – to be expected to do such a thing.

Always go for authenticity in testimonials.

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

Apologies… I am a little tired so a spontaneous comment without reading other peoples

It’s all about the power of influence…

So your grass roots position is to connect to the potential customers in the physical location where this person practices…

Then follow with all the usual stuff… website blah blah

laser focus not shot gun with this stuff…

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

You can easily start up a Youtube channel and provide tutorials as well to give credibility to your business. Best of luck with it all.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.