Home – New Forums Tech talk IE9 issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up
    ::

Hi all. I have searched the net for solutions and have made sure i have installed all updates etc.

I have 2 issues.

1. When in IE9 and I try and open an excel file, it won’t open. I have tried all files (to make sure it isn’t just 1 rogue file). The only way to open an excel file is to open Excel first, then through Excel itself, Open file. I can’t even open an excel file from email.

2. I can’t open URLs in my browser that are pdfs. Again, the only way I can view these pages is to save the page as a PDF and then I can open it via Adobe.

I have tried Mozilla and it is fine. So my long term solution is probably to move over to Mozilla (or Chrome).

However, for the timebeing I have all of my faves, passwords etc set up in IE9.

Any tips welcome – both on how to fix the 2 issues in IE9, as well as potentially importing my favourites into Mozilla or Chrome.

Thanks

Michael

nmaric
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi Michael,
    you can export your favourites from IE (option is under bookmarks) to a HTML file and then import into Firefox/Chrome.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Ditch Internet Explorer and go with Chrome. You won’t regret it.

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    spinninghill, post: 128357 wrote:
    Hi all. I have searched the net for solutions and have made sure i have installed all updates etc.

I have 2 issues.

1. When in IE9 and I try and open an excel file, it won’t open. I have tried all files (to make sure it isn’t just 1 rogue file). The only way to open an excel file is to open Excel first, then through Excel itself, Open file. I can’t even open an excel file from email.

2. I can’t open URLs in my browser that are pdfs. Again, the only way I can view these pages is to save the page as a PDF and then I can open it via Adobe.

I have tried Mozilla and it is fine. So my long term solution is probably to move over to Mozilla (or Chrome).

However, for the timebeing I have all of my faves, passwords etc set up in IE9.

Any tips welcome – both on how to fix the 2 issues in IE9, as well as potentially importing my favourites into Mozilla or Chrome.

Thanks

Michael

I had this problem too, but I’m sorry to say I don’t recall the exact solution. It may have been firewall related. I seem to think that I was using ZoneAlarm and it was being a little over protective. I couldn’t get to shared drives/printers either.

I use Comodo now.

Sorry I can’t be more precise.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    spinninghill, post: 128357 wrote:

I don’t have any advice on how to fix the IE9 issues, but I’ve been using Chrome for a few years now. Earlier today I downloaded Mozilla (sometimes it’s handy to have another browser) and it asked if I would like to import all of my bookmarks from {insert browser of choice}.

One simple click and all my bookmarks/favourites were imported within 10 seconds! I imagine other browsers would offer the same option.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

internet settings; security tab and restore all zones to default
    internet settings; advanced tab restore advanced settings.

notice in the advanced tab reset all IE settings button – not sure if this will remove all your passwords and bookmarks. But as a last resort I guess.

Good luck

Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.