Home – New Forums Starting your journey If I have the website, do I need to register the business name?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

This is likely to be a really dumb question, but it’s Wednesday so here goes….

I want to register another domain name, which is sort of a division of our existing business, let’s call it expressleaflets for arguments sake. If I register expressleaflets.com.au, and associate it with our existing ABN, am I doing anything wrong?

I just wanted to understand if I need to register the business name expressleaflets, as essentially, we are still trading with this division as AgentMail, but will be setting up a separate site etc. for it. Would I just need to mention on the site that expressleaflets is owned and operated by AgentMail.

We are set-up as a sole trader BTW, if that makes any difference.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

So long as it’s clear to visitors of the site that they are doing business with “AgentMail” then I don’t see the need to register another business name. If the site will be branded as, or appear to be operated by a business called “Express Leaflets” then I would suggest registering the business name just in case.

Also be mindful, if you are looking to register a .com.au domain name there are certain criteria to be met for you to own the domain… for example, if the domain is not a match (or abbreviation of or acronym of) the registrant’s name or trademark then it must otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant.

So, if your new domain will be a pure description of a product/service offered that will be fine.. if it’s something a bit more distinctive or a made up brand then you may not fit the criteria of eligibility – so, in that case registering the business name may help address that particular point.

I hope this helps. All the best :)

Stockings99
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

You can register many available domain name(s), for .com.au you need to show an ABN. There are many domain squatters who hold good domain names without having websites on it and Im sure many of them dont even have a business.

Alex Benedict
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

I would talk to an accountant to see what difficulties you might have with respect to claiming tax deductions etc.

I think from memory .com.au names need an ABN and .com do not?

Your question is beyond my knowledge though. I’d be interested in the outcome just for knowledge sake.

PaulThomas
    • Total posts: 76
    Up
    Alex Benedict, post: 115664 wrote:
    I would talk to an accountant to see what difficulties you might have with respect to claiming tax deductions etc.

I think from memory .com.au names need an ABN and .com do not?

Your question is beyond my knowledge though. I’d be interested in the outcome just for knowledge sake.

Hi AgentMail,

Jacqui is right, you will need to state that the new website is owned by AgentMail. If you create a new brand identity then business registration is required. You might get away with Express Leaflets by AgentMail, but I would get legal advice on creating a logo for the site first up.

With dot com dot au domain names you pay for a license to use the domain name, no one can own a Australian domain name. Dot com domains are a different kettle of fish and you basically own the domain name. In any case, choose your domain name carfully as there are no refunds!

If your web host or web designer is going to register your domain for you, don’t let them. Register your domain name so the you can be sure that the domain name is regsitered to you! Change of au domain ownership costs about $220.00 to change the records over and the current owner has to agree in writing! So be careful …

Licences for au domains are issued by the auDA (au Domain Administration) You can register as many domains as you like under one ACN, ABN, BN, ASSN or ORG. There is more info here http://www.auda.org.au/registerdomain

When you are in the process of registering your new domain name you will be presented with two naming options as follows:

1/ “Domain name is an Exact Match Abbreviation or Acronym of your Entity or Trading Name.” = Like the business name.

2/ “Close and substantial connection between the domain name and the operations of your Entity.” = Industry you are in or products/service offered.

The auDA will then look up the ASIC database and check your response. If there are any issues the domain name will be rejected and you will need to start over. Otherwise your registration will be accepted!

If you register both a ‘dot com’ and a ‘dot com dot au’ version of your domain name always host your site on the ‘dot com dot au’ site and redirect the ‘dot com’ site to that domain. New copyright laws in the US could affect dot com domain owners regardless of the country they live in. If your content on a dot com domain infringes on the copyright of an American entity you could be facing court in the US.

Hi James,

Yes, tax deductions do apply to the purchase of domain names. Web design, hosting and domains are all tax deductible for registered businesses.

Hope this intro to domain names helps answer your questions.

Cheers,
    Paul

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.