Home – New Forums Other discussions If it smell’s like a rat, it ….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    ::

Sometimes you need to knock back a job to get the full story.

I get an urgent call from a property manager in NSW (I’m in Vic), can you mow and do some gardening before an auction this coming Saturday, ok late notice but I’ll apply a bit of surge pricing here if I like it.

So she text’s me the address, I’m thinking to myself isn’t that the drug house, the next text says, ”and don’t go in the house or sheds as they are meth contaminated” (I figured that already).

Give her a call just to check some details, and ask twice have the gardens being contaminated as well, she kind of avoids giving me an answer on this both times, but I go of to quote anyhow, get there the gate is padlocked and signs up saying do not entre, etc, etc.

The long and the short I ring her back having thought about the potential of contamination. And say to her that I have spoken to someone (made that up) and they are aware, that the gardens are contaminated as well so I don’t really want the job. Then the truth comes out, first she tries to get me to tell her who told me (was it a neighbour, the police, etc), I say I cant tell. Then the admission, oh we didnt get the outside tested, just the house and the shed.

Job would have being good as I would have applied surge pricing, plus my ”I don’t want it premium”, but I may have dodged a bullet anyhow.

RunicConvenience
    • Total posts: 186
    Up

oh my lord, the nerve of some people.

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

That’s more than a rat and your insurance probably wouldn’t protect you much either for a job like this.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Interesting, curious though.. wouldnt their omission and obligation to duty of care hold them accountable? Interesting…

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    bb1
    Participant
    Up
    LucasArthur, post: 267199, member: 34537 wrote:
    Interesting, curious though.. wouldnt their omission and obligation to duty of care hold them accountable? Interesting…

Problem I can foresee and not being a meth expert, any issues from it may not become apparent for some time, then linking it back to that specific job, and their omission, etc.

They will get someone in who won’t question or realise the potential impact.

I checked out the auction notice and it clearly says no inspections allowed. But it’s ok for the gardener to garden.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

That’s a doozy [USER=53375]@bb1[/USER] – I am glad that you had your wits about you.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Definitely dodged a bullet by the sounds of things!
    On first read through – thought you’d traveled to NSW to find the locked gates and signs!

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up

I’ve got a strict “no dickheads” policy these days and I reckon you can almost immediately tell the warning signs when you pick up the phone and chat to someone like that. I trust my gut 110% these days and it feels off (or you smell a rat) then it’s most likely so. Rarely does it get proved wrong.

I too have been using the “Oh sorry, we just took on a major job with a big client and unfortunately wouldn’t be able to comfortably take on your project at this point in time”.

When it’s your health involved like that, it’s very poor form.

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 267209, member: 20176 wrote:
    Definitely dodged a bullet by the sounds of things!
    On first read through – thought you’d traveled to NSW to find the locked gates and signs!

Had a laugh at this one, I actually have a client in Hollywood, which when I tell people they ask, ”do you really go all that way to mow a lawn”.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up
    Byron Trzeciak, post: 267233, member: 56118 wrote:
    I’ve got a strict “no dickheads” policy these days .

Hoping I got the ‘quote’ business worked out here… many moons ago I went to a music festival (different category of business) but they literally have a ‘no dickheads policy’ – https://aunty.mmf.com.au/what-goes-on/dickhead-policy/

I think we could all incorporate the same.. implementing it can be more difficult in real life though…

bb1, post: 267235, member: 53375 wrote:
    Had a laugh at this one, I actually have a client in Hollywood, which when I tell people they ask, ”do you really go all that way to mow a lawn”.

I have to ask… DO you go all that way to mow a lawn?! ;)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.