Home – New Forums Get productive If you could sleep 5.5 hours a day – could you get more done?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up
    ::

I stumbled across this very interesting sleep concept – mainly because I had been quite worried about my own sleep patters. After being awake all of last night I managed to fall asleep for 2 short hours before waking up and coming to work.

I guess I was mainly worried because I had gotten into a habit of coming home after work, having a nap after dinner for about 1-2 hours then waking up again to do some more work before sleeping at around 3 am -3:30 am. My main reason for this was that I was too tired after work to really concentrate on anything, and I usually get very sleepy after a meal. So I’d nap. Anyways – I didn’t feel too bad during the day so I just kept up this habit.

Little did I know this way of sleeping was called a biphasic sleep cycle. It apparently isn’t harmful as long as you distribute it in 90 minute cycles (which is the amount of time it usually takes for you to get through a whole sleeping cycle.)

I’ve read online that the ideal way to maximise time to work is to have a nap around 7:30 for 90 minutes followed by a longer sleep cycle of 3.5 hours during the evening. Apparently this is nor harmful and gives you the same amount of energy. Meaning we can get away with only sleeping for about 5 hours. It does come with some adjustments – it usually does take a good month to adjust to this pattern but it is possible.

Does anyone here already practice this form of sleeping? Would love to hear some stories if you have tried it.

Thanks for reading,

Wendy

Geronimo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 237
    Up

I notice a very strong correlation between my mental sharpness and amount of sleep. Super computer smart when I’ve had several days of great sleep, and tweety bird dopey when I’m not sleeping well. Naturally this has massive effects on my productivity, so for me, sleep is very important to all aspects of my life.

I recall reading, that according to sleep people, every hour before midnight is worth two after. Don’t know if it’s still valid, but makes me go to bed early.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

It’s the good, deep sleep in the cycle that you need, which usually comes in the last half of each hour and a half cycle.

I’ve recently been to a sleep clinic trial, and only 14% of my sleep was in this deep state. Explained why I was falling asleep constantly through the day lol

Wendy :)

Keeta Nova
    • Total posts: 294
    Up

Many people cut back on sleep for the purpose of increasing the time available for work, however they need to remember that quality of work is just as, or even more important than the quantity.

If you have a good sleep, you will work faster and procrastinate less. You may find that you actually get more work done, when you sleep more.

Our bodies follow certain rhythms and cycles. I like this image as it visually represents the circadian rhythms that our bodies follow over 24 hours.
    800px-Biological_clock_human.svg.png

If you feel tired after a meal, you might want to monitor what you are actually eating as this is related to your blood sugar levels and the quality and quantity of carbohydrates that you are digesting. Reading about GI levels will help you understand the right foods to eat.

All this said though, everyone is different and you need to experiment with the sleep patterns and routine that work best for you.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

During the week, the evenings are when I get to spend quality time with the family… I’d feel so ripped off if I spent that time sleeping.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

I’m reminded of a Seinfeld episode where Kramer tried to follow Leonardo Da Vinci’s sleep schedule (now also referred to as biphasic)… after seeing that, I’m not sure it’s the sleep schedule for me ;)

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

I once did some research on biphasic sleep cycle and it seems like a good way to fit more working hours in the day for most people, as long as you can handle the ‘running in’ period but I love my sleep too much to try it.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

My limited understanding is that it works well but you run into trouble if you deviate from your sleep schedule. i.e. if you went to a function straight after work.

I always liked the idea of the 28 hour day, or at least I would if I was still going to pubs/clubs every weekend
    http://xkcd.com/320/

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up

The best sleep I experience, believe it or not, is my daily 10 minute power-nap Siesta when I get home. It’s such a deep sleep, that it feels like I have been sleeping for a few hours. Afterwards, my mind and body feel completely refreshed and alert.

The worst thing you can do in the afternoon, is getting into the habit of sleeping for a few hours as it disrupts your bio-mechanical clock. Better to opt for a 10 minute Siesta and feel on “top of the world”.

T J Madigan
    • Total posts: 255
    Up

I did the 120hr work week for a number of years.
    Never again.

I used to microsleep 1-2 mins a few times a day and sleep 15-90mins a couple of times a day, or a longer 4hr sleep once a day. Every now and then (every few of weeks or so) my body would just completely shut down for 12-14hrs, sometimes longer. After a while my body started completely shutting down at inappropriate times with no advanced warning.

Prolonged sleep deprivation is one of the worst things you can to to your mind and body. Our minds and bodies both need rest to recuperate so that they can continue running at peak performance levels. The body repairs itself while we sleep. It detoxes, heals and replenishes. Lack of sleep can actually worsen the symptoms of stress.

Some side effects of sleep deprivation include:
    Emotional – you may be more frustrated, irritable, cranky and moody
    Social – you may be difficult to get along with, or have a lack of desire to socialize
    Cognitive – impaired ability to learn, poor memory, decreased problem solving abilities
    Physical – productivity is impaired, fatigue, a compromised immune system which leaves you vulnerable to disease, infection, and colds etc.
    Safety – judgment may be impaired, you are less aware and alert which can lead to accidents, hand eye coordination is impaired
    Spiritual – it may be hard to experience inner peace, feel connected and whole or to find the depth, meaning and purpose in life that you desire.

Long term sleep deprivation can even lead to serious symptoms like hallucinations, paranoia and delusions.

I found in the end that the most impact lack of sleep had was on my relationship with my wife and children. Sleep deprivation can actually effect your personality in much the same way that alcohol effects an alcoholic.

Some say Leonardo da vinci probably had narcolepsy. Other’s try to copy his sleep patterns because they think it is one of the attributing factors to his genius. I think he had trouble stopping his brain from ticking over and as a consequence found it difficult to sleep. The continual napping throughout they day may well have contributed to Leonardo’s creativity as that place between wake and sleep has long been thought to be a place where unconsciousness meets consciousness… Hypnagogia.

Hypnagogia is associated with sleep disorders such as insomnia and is a major symptom of narcolepsy (where a person suddenly falls asleep). Hypnagogia is not new, it was discussed in Poe’s, Edison’s, and Aristotle’s times.

The Pineal gland and the release of DMT is also said to have an effect on our consciousness during this Hypnagogia.

I still try to close my eyes and have a little nap (relaxingly ponder or meditate in that place between wake and sleep) during the day, but I now make sure I am also getting a deeper regenerating amount of restful sleep at night.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    WAHE, post: 118225 wrote:
    The best sleep I experience, believe it or not, is my daily 10 minute power-nap Siesta when I get home. It’s such a deep sleep, that it feels like I have been sleeping for a few hours. Afterwards, my mind and body feel completely refreshed and alert.

The worst thing you can do in the afternoon, is getting into the habit of sleeping for a few hours as it disrupts your bio-mechanical clock. Better to opt for a 10 minute Siesta and feel on “top of the world”.

I 100% agree.

I know a very senior government person who sleeps only 3-4 hours per night and had done this for 50 years. He has two 10 minute naps during the day.

I know the 10 mins works for me.

Another alternative could be 10 minutes of meditation.

HBTRADE
    • Total posts: 125
    Up

5.5H is above average for me. On the occasion I sleep 6H, I fell the day is wasted. Normal is 4>5H. Well, normal for me. I’ve functioned fine on that for the past 30 or so years – no reason to change it yet.

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up

You could actually get away with sleeping just two hours everyday. That’s right TWO HOURS.

If you’ve read the Four Hour Body by Tim Ferris you’ll know what I’m talking about (great book btw)

There are a few sleeping patterns you can adapt to:

The Siesta — 6.3 total hours — One 20-minute nap, 6 hours core sleep
    The Everyman 2-Nap — 5.2 total hours — Two 20-minute naps, 4.5 hours core sleep
    The Everyman 3-Nap — 4 total hours — Three 20-minute naps, 3 hours core sleep
    The Everyman 4-Nap — 2.8 total hours — Four 20-minute naps, 1.5 hours core sleep
    The Uberman — 2 total hours — Six 20-minute naps

The further you go down the list, the more strict your sleep schedule needs to be. For the Uberman, you need to be taking a 20-minute nap every 4 hours or you feel exhausted and it all falls apart.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

For me, if I was using anything below the Everyman 2-Nap to be able to fit in more work hours, then I’d be seriously questioning my lifestyle.

Wendy :)

bernardlau
    • Total posts: 33
    Up

The OP sounds a lot like what I’m going through also.
    After lunch I get super tired, then a boost of semi energy in the late aftenoon, then body crashes in the mid evening.

I dunno, my sleeping pattern is so out of the norm.
    Some days 2 hours, other days 13 hours.
    Surprisingly, 13 hour sleeps, I get more tired throughout the day.
    Is this oversleeping?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.