Home – New Forums Starting your journey If you had 3 weeks…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    erinna
    Participant
    • Total posts: 135
    Up
    ::

A little background. I recently resigned from my 4 days pw job, finished training my replacement on Thursday, and today I found out I was successful for my next part time job (3 days pw), and I start in 3 weeks. (YAY!)

Im very excited about this, as it means more time for my own business, which I will need to boost my income a little bit anyway, but the new role is perfect for me (in a childrens patient organisation). I will eventually do my business full time – but Im easing into it – and its good to have multiple interests ;)

I have three weeks to kick start my business and give it the momentum to flow into the start of my new job (and Im aware marketing will be an ongoing process).

Im updating my website at the moment, as well as producing more promotional material which I intend to email to potential clients (across three genres – photography commissions, tutoring and products). There will be a lot of calling and talking I can assure you. Now that I know what my calender will be like for work, I can book around it.

However, I would love to get some advice on what you would do, if you had three weeks to really push your business forward? What processes or systems would you put in place now?

Thanks for your thoughts!

maxwylly
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

I will brainstorm ideas and will start implementing those that can be done right away.

maxwylly
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

I will brainstorm ideas and will start implementing those that can be done right away.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

which of the three areas of your business is most busy now/has been and is profitable. Maybe start and build from there

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

which of the three areas of your business is most busy now/has been and is profitable. Maybe start and build from there

erinna
    Participant
    Up

Thanks for your thoughts so far. Max, I have been brainstorming a lot – and trying to implement all the things i can do now – i actually have a timeline set up (what steps need to be taken for a task, what needs to be done first etc), and thats helping. Part of me needs to stop brainstorming and just DO. But I still get worried Ive forgotten something. :)

King, I think Ive forgotten some background info – apologies for not being more specific

Im basically starting from scratch again. After moving to Melbourne from Perth, 12 months ago (for my part time job), Ive been developing my products, and have no clients. Prior to that I was very sick and my business wasnt really running… so I guess, the last time I did my business fulltime was in 2007. Im just worried that Ive forgotten something (and I cant seem to get my own business as organised as when I work for someone else!).

I know I need to do marketing etc, in all three areas. But I guess I wanted to see what others would prioritize as the most important aspect of their business to set up – marketing, procedures, accounting etc – if you didnt have the client work to think about just yet?

erinna
    Participant
    Up

Thanks for your thoughts so far. Max, I have been brainstorming a lot – and trying to implement all the things i can do now – i actually have a timeline set up (what steps need to be taken for a task, what needs to be done first etc), and thats helping. Part of me needs to stop brainstorming and just DO. But I still get worried Ive forgotten something. :)

King, I think Ive forgotten some background info – apologies for not being more specific

Im basically starting from scratch again. After moving to Melbourne from Perth, 12 months ago (for my part time job), Ive been developing my products, and have no clients. Prior to that I was very sick and my business wasnt really running… so I guess, the last time I did my business fulltime was in 2007. Im just worried that Ive forgotten something (and I cant seem to get my own business as organised as when I work for someone else!).

I know I need to do marketing etc, in all three areas. But I guess I wanted to see what others would prioritize as the most important aspect of their business to set up – marketing, procedures, accounting etc – if you didnt have the client work to think about just yet?

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

I would be inclined to step back and chill out for at least a couple of days and just let the mind relax and wander. Then I would write down my thoughts as they came deep breath relax wander. SLEEP.

After a couple of days of this you may find you have already done what is necessary, and now to concentrate in getting sales. A business plan may need to be tweeked so that those you want as customers can be identified and contacted.

Gradually bring yourself into your business, dont rush take things slowly one day at a time , contacting potential customers by phone email mail and have your website up and perfected.

I really cant see a problem, so relax and enjoy the journey

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

I would be inclined to step back and chill out for at least a couple of days and just let the mind relax and wander. Then I would write down my thoughts as they came deep breath relax wander. SLEEP.

After a couple of days of this you may find you have already done what is necessary, and now to concentrate in getting sales. A business plan may need to be tweeked so that those you want as customers can be identified and contacted.

Gradually bring yourself into your business, dont rush take things slowly one day at a time , contacting potential customers by phone email mail and have your website up and perfected.

I really cant see a problem, so relax and enjoy the journey

sourcewellbeing
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

Congratulations on the new opportunity!

Perhaps start by asking yourself what would make you happier/more content/more relaxed now that you’ll be juggling a couple of things …Are you the sort of person who needs all your procedures in place so that business flows more smoothly? Or do you tend to ‘wing’ it as you go along?

I, for one, wanted my website 100% straight away as i’m a huge supporter of the ‘first impressions count’ club. I also like all documentation in place and usable and slick accounting system was a priority for me also. I have found that these things do evolve as you go along though as you find processes that work a bit better.

I found it helpful to also set myself a goal of doing something to promote myself every day regardless of what else there was to do. I found that this way i could do a little bit of everything that needed doing as I went along without feeling like anything was starting to slide.

I agree though that making some time for you is just as much a priority – you must look after no.1 if you hope to be in top form to assist anyone else. Schedule in ‘you time’ every day – even if just a quick walk in a park or half an hour with a favourite book … whatever works for you!

Good luck

sourcewellbeing
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

Congratulations on the new opportunity!

Perhaps start by asking yourself what would make you happier/more content/more relaxed now that you’ll be juggling a couple of things …Are you the sort of person who needs all your procedures in place so that business flows more smoothly? Or do you tend to ‘wing’ it as you go along?

I, for one, wanted my website 100% straight away as i’m a huge supporter of the ‘first impressions count’ club. I also like all documentation in place and usable and slick accounting system was a priority for me also. I have found that these things do evolve as you go along though as you find processes that work a bit better.

I found it helpful to also set myself a goal of doing something to promote myself every day regardless of what else there was to do. I found that this way i could do a little bit of everything that needed doing as I went along without feeling like anything was starting to slide.

I agree though that making some time for you is just as much a priority – you must look after no.1 if you hope to be in top form to assist anyone else. Schedule in ‘you time’ every day – even if just a quick walk in a park or half an hour with a favourite book … whatever works for you!

Good luck

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up
    erinna, post: 114033 wrote:
    A little background. I recently resigned from my 4 days pw job, finished training my replacement on Thursday, and today I found out I was successful for my next part time job (3 days pw), and I start in 3 weeks. (YAY!)

Im very excited about this, as it means more time for my own business, which I will need to boost my income a little bit anyway, but the new role is perfect for me (in a childrens patient organisation). I will eventually do my business full time – but Im easing into it – and its good to have multiple interests ;)

I have three weeks to kick start my business and give it the momentum to flow into the start of my new job (and Im aware marketing will be an ongoing process).

Im updating my website at the moment, as well as producing more promotional material which I intend to email to potential clients (across three genres – photography commissions, tutoring and products). There will be a lot of calling and talking I can assure you. Now that I know what my calender will be like for work, I can book around it.

However, I would love to get some advice on what you would do, if you had three weeks to really push your business forward? What processes or systems would you put in place now?

Congrats on making the move to have more time for your business!

If it was me, I would probably look at separating the tasks that can be mostly automated, and the tasks that need your full attention, whether that’s in marketing, service delivery, quoting – whatever.

You could then spend some time putting in place the systems you need to make the automated stuff, well, automated, so that those systems are ready to roll when you start the new job. With those taken care of, you can spend time on the manual tasks during your very limited time once you start the new job.

It might also be a good idea to consider outsourcing for a few things. This could be as simple as engaging a virtual assistant to respond to emails, put together forms and documents, hiring a web designer to finish off the website, or looking into a virtual answering service for your phone calls… Anything to help take the pressure of you a little, so you can focus on the important stuff!

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up
    erinna, post: 114033 wrote:

Congrats on making the move to have more time for your business!

If it was me, I would probably look at separating the tasks that can be mostly automated, and the tasks that need your full attention, whether that’s in marketing, service delivery, quoting – whatever.

You could then spend some time putting in place the systems you need to make the automated stuff, well, automated, so that those systems are ready to roll when you start the new job. With those taken care of, you can spend time on the manual tasks during your very limited time once you start the new job.

It might also be a good idea to consider outsourcing for a few things. This could be as simple as engaging a virtual assistant to respond to emails, put together forms and documents, hiring a web designer to finish off the website, or looking into a virtual answering service for your phone calls… Anything to help take the pressure of you a little, so you can focus on the important stuff!

Salesgun4hire
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Step 1: Goto Business Plan
    Step 2: Implement Business Plan
    Step 3: Work on Business Plan
    Step 4: Repeat

If Step 1 can’t be completed

Then:
    Create Business Plan

Then: Step 2 to Step 4

Salesgun4hire
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Step 1: Goto Business Plan
    Step 2: Implement Business Plan
    Step 3: Work on Business Plan
    Step 4: Repeat

If Step 1 can’t be completed

Then:
    Create Business Plan

Then: Step 2 to Step 4

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.