Home – New Forums Tech talk If your website isn’t mobile friendly yet you’d better get a move on…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    ::

“Big changes to Google’s search algorithms are coming: beginning April 21, the company will increase the ranking of sites that are mobile-friendly and surface app results much higher.”
    http://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/02/26/google-will-rank-your-site-higher-if-its-mobile-friendly-starting-april-21/

Pretty sure it’s already been impacting results for a while now (once Google announce something it usually means they’ve been testing it out for a while), but it becomes official April 21.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

Thanks for the link!

People who ignore it on behalf of their clients should be held accountable!

100% agree.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Looking at some auto mobioe site creation tools on the web…any recommendations? I have all my own hosting etal

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

Just a reminder: http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/google-to-rank-mobilefriendly-sites-higher-20150420-1mowqg.html

(Being called “mobilegeddon” apparently, lol)

With many sites having 50% or more users on mobile or tablets, they can expect significant dropping of visitor numbers of they rely on Google for a significant amount of their traffic.

King
    Up

I disagree with Google strong arming us like this. Search result should not be dependent on mobile suitability

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    King, post: 212325 wrote:
    I disagree with Google strong arming us like this. Search result should not be dependent on mobile suitabilityIt’s just the mobile results, and yes I think they should be.
    King
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 212326 wrote:
    It’s just the mobile results, and yes I think they should be.
    My understanding is all search result are affected
    MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    King, post: 212330 wrote:
    My understanding is all search result are affectedNope only mobile ones.
    Neil Inns (AUZi)
    Participant
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Last week I read the below Digital Marketing Report and mobile usage in Australia now accounts for 27%. That figure is only going one way!

http://blog.marginmedia.com.au/our-blog/australian-internet-social-media-statistics-march-2015

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

Yep, it’s mobile/tablet search not desktop. Though with many (maybe most by now?) of sites having 50% or more traffic from mobile or tablet, it’s kind of a moot point…

Custom or WordPress isn’t really that much difference in terms of work required, depends entirely on the overall features, functionality, type of database, code …etc of your site. There will be some WP sites that will be easy to adapt while others will require a lot of work, just as with any other platform.

And as chaase mentions, nothing to do with “strong arming”, any business/service should be dedicated to delivering the best solution possible to their users/clients, and where there’s hundreds or thousands of websites for a certain search phrase, it makes sense to include mobile optimisation within the algorithm for those searching on mobile devices.

And come on, it’s not like mobile optimisation hasn’t been emphasised as essential for online businesses for a good number of years now, there’s only so long you can ignore what so many experienced professionals have been saying, sorry.

“Mind you some people choose to ignore such things to their clients detriment.”
    – Reminds me of some discussions we’ve had on this very forum… ;)

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    chaase, post: 212378 wrote:
    I think you will find it is mobile only and tablet screen sizes will still be treated as a desktop search (tablets provide a similar experience to desktops) based on what I have read and listened to :)

But it is Google so that could change
    From what I read it seems to be believed that tablets will be included in this. Which again makes sense, if a site isn’t “mobile friendly” then much of the same factors are relevant for tablets too.

And even if many aren’t 100% sure on that (with Google, some things will be certain, many others not), if you’ve put off addressing the mobile phone issue for the many years it’s been obvious something needs to be done, do you really want to try to find another excuse to actually address the issue the “right way” and cater for all device sizes together, which makes far more sense both now and for “future proofing” your site? Or what’s next, another year, numbers of people accessing via their interactive TVs shoots through the roof, Google starts optimising search via TVs for those sites that are optimised for that screen size/type.

The debate’s over, your site needs to be device and device size neutral, and cater for what’s happening now and what is likely to happen in the next few years. More important for small businesses who can’t afford a new site every 2 years.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

And Google’s tips from September 2012 (the warnings have been around for a LONG time)…

“Sites that use responsive web design, i.e. sites that serve all devices on the same set of URLs, with each URL serving the same HTML to all devices and using just CSS to change how the page is rendered on the device. This is Google’s recommended configuration.”

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2012/06/recommendations-for-building-smartphone.html

But be aware: Just because a site is responsive, doesn’t mean it will be well coded and deliver all the benefits from these changes. Many web builder software will have major issues as their code is not usually the best, but even those that build custom sites, you should be able to ask them about their code quality in the areas of site speed and SEO optimisation, and they should be able to explain it to you in layman’s terms.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.