Home – New Forums Selling online IInet or Neto? Advice on hosted solution please

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #988478
    Cee
    Member
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi all- newbie here.

    I have an established B & M shop and have been selling online for over five years. I’m now ready to move my online sales to a site of my own, with around 500-700 items listed.

    I am *not* very computer literate, nor am I interested in becoming so- therefore WordPress, Magento or a custom build are not options for me. I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject, and this is the conclusion I have reached. To give you an idea, I can just barely type and save a document in word, I don’t have a printer, and I’ve only just found out what excel is.

    So I am trialling twol hosted solutions as I write, Neto and epages. I have ruled out Wix, Shopify, BigCommerce and Ashop, because ideally I’d like to go with an Australian-hosted solution without transaction fees.

    Neto looks tough but bearable so far, and epages is just WAY too hard for me. IInet seem the best option cost wise, but my question is, does anyone have any feedback on iinet sites?

    Or on Neto? I can’t seem to find much information/feedback about either of them. If I understand correctly, Iinet is basically a simplified version of epages, in which case I may find it beyond me. Any suggestions?

    #1167356
    pollypolkadot
    Member
    • Total posts: 55
    Up
    0
    ::
    Cee, post: 193861 wrote:
    Hi all- newbie here.

    I have an established B & M shop and have been selling online for over five years. I’m now ready to move my online sales to a site of my own, with around 500-700 items listed.

    I am *not* very computer literate, nor am I interested in becoming so- therefore WordPress, Magento or a custom build are not options for me. I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject, and this is the conclusion I have reached. To give you an idea, I can just barely type and save a document in word, I don’t have a printer, and I’ve only just found out what excel is.

    So I am trialling twol hosted solutions as I write, Neto and epages. I have ruled out Wix, Shopify, BigCommerce and Ashop, because ideally I’d like to go with an Australian-hosted solution without transaction fees.

    Neto looks tough but bearable so far, and epages is just WAY too hard for me. IInet seem the best option cost wise, but my question is, does anyone have any feedback on iinet sites?

    Or on Neto? I can’t seem to find much information/feedback about either of them. If I understand correctly, Iinet is basically a simplified version of epages, in which case I may find it beyond me. Any suggestions?

    Hi there,

    Afraid I can’t offer too much advice, I am trialing Neto and I quite like it, but I don’t know anything about iinet. My business is online only and I think our requirements would be quite a bit different, but I have found the backend of Neto to be really great for everything that I need. The templates are pretty average though.

    If you are looking for more Australian ecommerce soloutions, there is the Australia Post ‘My Online Shop’ one. I have not trialed it so I don’t know what it is like, but I know it was created by ecorner (epages). You said you found epages too difficult; I’m not sure how this one compares but hopefully it is easier for you. You can only try!

    I believe that ozcart and 3dcart are also Australian, if you want to check those out. Again, I don’t know anything about them as I haven’t trailed them.

    Not sure how much help I have been here, but you have some more things to look up!

    Thanks,
    Polly

    #1167357
    Cee
    Member
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    0
    ::

    thanks help4bis I’ll do that later today :)

    #1167358
    John Debrincat
    Member
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    0
    ::
    Cee, post: 193861 wrote:
    Hi all- newbie here.

    I have an established B & M shop and have been selling online for over five years. I’m now ready to move my online sales to a site of my own, with around 500-700 items listed.

    I am *not* very computer literate, nor am I interested in becoming so- therefore WordPress, Magento or a custom build are not options for me. I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject, and this is the conclusion I have reached. To give you an idea, I can just barely type and save a document in word, I don’t have a printer, and I’ve only just found out what excel is.

    So I am trialling twol hosted solutions as I write, Neto and epages. I have ruled out Wix, Shopify, BigCommerce and Ashop, because ideally I’d like to go with an Australian-hosted solution without transaction fees.

    Neto looks tough but bearable so far, and epages is just WAY too hard for me. IInet seem the best option cost wise, but my question is, does anyone have any feedback on iinet sites?

    Or on Neto? I can’t seem to find much information/feedback about either of them. If I understand correctly, Iinet is basically a simplified version of epages, in which case I may find it beyond me. Any suggestions?

    Hello Cee,

    We helped to build the iiNet and the My Online Shop (slightly newer version) systems. When you say that ePages is too hard we are really happy to provide free training to any ePages user in Australia either direct with eCorner or using ePages elsewhere. I think you will find that once you are familiar with the system it is far easier to use than most other hosted systems.

    We can also provide lots of help guides that can assist you to get started and make your store a success.

    We do hear that people find it a challenge initially but there are many short cuts and the system is built in such a way as to support the novice or professional alike.

    Let me know if I can answer any questions or assist in any way.

    Regards

    John

    #1167359
    Cee
    Member
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi John, all I want to be able to do is rename categories, move items between categories and list items.

    #1167360
    John Debrincat
    Member
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    0
    ::
    Cee, post: 193899 wrote:
    Hi John, all I want to be able to do is rename categories, move items between categories and list items.

    Hello Cee,

    I uploaded a content management guide for V6.12 (iinet) to dropbox and you can download it at https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd7wbne9vy783bd/CloudShops%20ePages%20V6.12%20General%20Content%20Management%2020120609_2.pdf

    To rename categories just go to the Content / categories menu >> Data sheet view >> select a category (click on the name) >> in the General tab just change the name.

    The content guide around page 7 explains how to add a product to a category. Products can be assigned to multiple categories.

    You can move item basically the same way and list items.

    Let me know if you run into questions and happy to do some web based training if you want.

    This is not the most recent version of ePages and you will find that the latest version is a bit different. However the iiNet version will work fine for you.

    Regards

    John

    #1167361
    Cee
    Member
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks John. Is the Iinet solution simpler? I’m just finding that epages has ‘too much’ for me. For example, product variations is something I simply don’t need and would like eliminated- is that possible?

    #1167362
    John Debrincat
    Member
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    0
    ::
    Cee, post: 193904 wrote:
    Thanks John. Is the Iinet solution simpler? I’m just finding that epages has ‘too much’ for me. For example, product variations is something I simply don’t need and would like eliminated- is that possible?

    The later versions are actually more user friendly. Product variations does not need to be used if you do not need to have variations based on size or colour as an example.

    Sorry but what type of products to you sell?

    When you create a new product just go to Products menu >> New >> Product. That will create a normal product without variations.

    Regards

    John

    #1167363
    Cee
    Member
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks John, I sell antiques & vintage, so product variation is something I will never need. I guess I’m just looking for the simplest system available. Does iinet look the sme as epages?

    #1167364
    John Debrincat
    Member
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    0
    ::
    Cee, post: 194021 wrote:
    Thanks John, I sell antiques & vintage, so product variation is something I will never need. I guess I’m just looking for the simplest system available. Does iinet look the sme as epages?

    iiNet used ePages V6.12 and the current version is 6.16. The difference is that the user interface has changed, there is some new functionality and new templates.

    With a little training ePages is easy to use for most people if you have some basic computer skills.

    Simplest does not equate to best and simple means different things to different people. Look for the solutions that will satisfy your requirements long term. All systems can be learnt with a little training and usage.

    John

    #1167365
    help4bis.com
    Member
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    0
    ::

    I think Cee is just looking for some hand holding John, using your product but have a shop build with her products. Make it work if you like.

    Then as it “grows” on Cee more responsibility can be taken over by Cee, starting from fresh by yourself, going through all sorts of training in one hit might be a bit daunting for some merchants.

    Merchants sell stuff, and are good at it, but teco IT stuff might not be their strongest point.

    I met arts merchants (artists) that successfully sell online without even building a shop. All they do is send an email with a picture of their artworks, receive an email when an artwork is sold, where to send it to and that payment is received. Cee might be after the same thing….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.