Home – New Forums Starting your journey I’m an international student, want to start a business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mishumia
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi..

I’m an international student, I want to know if I can legally start a business in Australia? It is to note that I am holding a student visa.

Thankyou for your time and effort.

Rashed Rahman

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi there

We suggest you start by looking at the Government resources here and if you do not find your answer, make contact through their site. You will find the Government very helpful.

Good luck!

mishumia
    Up

:( I didnt get my answer yet.. can anyone help..?

Classicb
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Hi

Depending on the business structure you choose. If you would like to incorporate a company in Australia, you can’t be sole director, you need to find a local resident to be one of the directors. There is no restriction for you to trade as sole trade or partnership as long as you do not breach your visa condition and meet all the business complaints.

Business Vic
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    mishumia, post: 7352 wrote:
    Hi..

I’m an international student, I want to know if I can legally start a business in Australia? It is to note that I am holding a student visa.

Rashed Rahman

Hi Rashed,

What business are you thinking of starting and which state and city will you locate your business in?

For information regarding visa restrictions please contact the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) on tel: 131 881.

Regards,

Business Victoria
    http://www.business.vic.gov.au

Loreden
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    mishumia, post: 7352 wrote:
    Hi..

Rashed Rahman

Dude can we have an insight of what type of business you gonna start so we can suggest better answers :)

mishumia
    Up
    Business Vic, post: 7389 wrote:
    Hi Rashed,

What business are you thinking of starting and which state and city will you locate your business in?

For information regarding visa restrictions please contact the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) on tel: 131 881.

Regards,

Business Victoria
    http://www.business.vic.gov.au

computer service and sales.. internet cafe.. I want to start the business in Footscray, Melbourne, VIC 3011, Australia.

Gilliat
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Actually you are the student there and it depend on the business structure that which business you want start. you find a local resident to be one of the directors for partnership business. but i am not sure that your business will be legal or illegal because you are on student visa you should concern with any legal adviser.

Liz
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hello.
    Not sure if your question has been answered, but hoping this may help.
    As per DIAC, a person on student visa can do paid work up to 20 hrs per week while the course is in session, and unlimited hours during school breaks. Paid work includes self employment-however, how can a self employed person prove that they are not working more than the legal limit, or that they are not breaching their visa condition?
    You really need to phone DIAC about this. Phone ATO also regarding self employment.

KennethDreyer
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

I’m an international student and I had no problems starting an sole tradership..

Won
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

I am currently a full time student, studying towards a Masters of Comm.

I have a keen interest to start a small business and will be making use of local screen printers to launch the clothing range.

Kindly give advice if you have done a similar entrepreneurial move whilst being on a student visa.

I trust that the following will be required:
    ABN
    TFN (already have this)
    Register for GST
    Open separate bank acc*

Much appreciated.

ThexArm
    • Total posts: 253
    Up

It depends on which country you are from.

If you are on a student visa and if there are any restrictions attached to your visa then you will get into trouble.

As you may be aware Business visa is different from work visa from student visa.

Student visa only allowed you to work part time to maximum of 20 hours per week during study session. I don’t think you are allowed to get an ABN as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Wang
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hi:

There should be no problems, actually start a business in Australia is helping the local economics, and welcomed by the government. If you want to apply P/R in the future and your business is doing very well, this might also be postive consideration.
    As i know several of my Singapore friends they registrated a company and selling ticket for the Chinese singer’s concert that held in Australia.

Your sincerely

Peter Wang

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.