• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    gettingitrightthistime
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone!

I guess technically I’m not a new member, I was on here quite a few years ago, I couldn’t even tell you what my user name was…

So I’ve matured a bit over the years and am taking a different approach to starting a NEW home business. THIS TIME, I want to do it properly! The old one was a home salon, the new one is selling gifts online. With my last venture I just jumped in. The thing was, I knew how to do hair, but was I capable of running a business? This time, I’ll be working in an industry I understand (weddings) but have NO idea where to start. Importing? Suppliers? Target market? Start small or go big? At what point do you look for employees? Will I eventually need/want a warehouse? Do I meet with a business consultant? What do they even do???

Even as I write this I realise that I’m doing what I ALWAYS do – getting ahead of myself :) I look forward to receiving some helpful advice and hoping I can also contribute and help my fellow soloists :D

Sydney Business
    • Total posts: 141
    Up

Start making a plan – download a template online and make your business plan.

This will give you somewhere to begin in a structured way.

If you were in NSW I would say to come to one of my no cost Smart Start seminars. http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/networking-events/24542-nsw-government-subsidised-smart-start-workshops-april-may-june-2013-a.html#post157860

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi there,

Welcome back, and good on you for giving it a second go.

We’ll be interested in learning what you decide to do.

In the meantime, please tell us your name so we can welcome you a bit more personally. Calling you gettingitrightthistime doesn’t feel very friendly! ;)

All the best,
    Jayne

gettingitrightthistime
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 158081 wrote:
    Hi there,

Welcome back, and good on you for giving it a second go.

We’ll be interested in learning what you decide to do.

In the meantime, please tell us your name so we can welcome you a bit more personally. Calling you gettingitrightthistime doesn’t feel very friendly! ;)

All the best,
    Jayne

Thanks Jayne,

I know it seems impersonal but I have recommended this site to quite a few friends and colleagues and would prefer to keep a low profile at this stage as I work in a very small company. I do plan on eventually using my name :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Oh, we understand that situation very well! ;)

Good luck with all your plotting and scheming!

Jayne

Brooke Curline
    • Total posts: 120
    Up
    gettingitrightthistime, post: 158004 wrote:
    Hi everyone!

I guess technically I’m not a new member, I was on here quite a few years ago, I couldn’t even tell you what my user name was…

So I’ve matured a bit over the years and am taking a different approach to starting a NEW home business. THIS TIME, I want to do it properly! The old one was a home salon, the new one is selling gifts online. With my last venture I just jumped in. The thing was, I knew how to do hair, but was I capable of running a business? This time, I’ll be working in an industry I understand (weddings) but have NO idea where to start. Importing? Suppliers? Target market? Start small or go big? At what point do you look for employees? Will I eventually need/want a warehouse? Do I meet with a business consultant? What do they even do???

Even as I write this I realise that I’m doing what I ALWAYS do – getting ahead of myself :) I look forward to receiving some helpful advice and hoping I can also contribute and help my fellow soloists :D

Hi Gettingitright!
    Find some good suppliers and get them to dropship your orders for you – no warehousing needed – then when you get going a little, get some Sales Agents on board (no employees). There is a new member who introduced himself today – they are a sourcing business based in China and are right up your alley. Look for Paul’s intro from China.
    Good Luck
    Brooke (Sales Agent) :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.