Home – New Forums New here? Share your story I’m Michael and I’ve built a very simple accounting tool

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    micmehmet
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Hello Soloists!

I’m Michael, a developer and small business owner in Melbourne who has come up with a solution to a very common bugbear among many small businesses: their accounts.

Having tried everything from Excel spreadsheets to Xero, I got sick of having to research accounting standards to figure out how to do even the most basic book keeping. My research soon uncovered the problem:

Those standards are all about reporting the “worth” of your business to an outsider – they were never designed to help you run your business!

So I decided to chuck them all out and start again from scratch – developing a simple way to keep records, specifically for small business (in particular a solo business, like mine) rather than some generic “one size fits all” approach meant to work for both corporate giants and someone who mows lawns, alike…

It’s called eLEDGER and it’s accessible either on your computer or your smartphone/tablet by going to https://eledger.com.au

I’d welcome any feedback, either about the site or the product itself – in particular how “simple” (or not) it has actually turned out to be – as well as any questions anyone would like to ask.

Keep up the good work!
    Michael

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Michael, and thanks for introducing yourself.

That sounds like an ambitious project! Good on you for giving it a go and getting it up and running. :)

Best of luck with it, and welcome to Flying Solo,
    Jayne

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

Well done Michael. Without knowing too much about your product, you may have found a gap in the market.

All these systems from Myob to Xero are built for just about every type of business with a lot of bulk and complexity that you’ll never use. More so they are really built for the book keeper or those with a solid accounting background.

In the offline world I understood Cashflow Manager to be a more of simple spreadsheet down to earth approach to accounting. I don’t believe they have transitioned to the cloud world though.
    None of the large emerging cloud systems have kept things ultra simple and intuitive. They are still fundamentally the Myob model with more streamlined feature such as auto bank feed etc.

Good luck and I hope you’re able to tap into the micro operators that want to do everything themselves including their book work.

DarkSide
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Hi Michael,

I will try it (free) and see if it meets my needs.. It is expensive at $8 /mth for me to collate my 2-4 orders per month, 4-5 postage receipts and 5-6 ebay purchases that earns me $100 pw on a good month. As my only income (buys my food and car running costs) every dollar counts.

However with the looming age pension pot of gold (for me) I must present it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.