• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ami
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

I am Ami, new to this website. Would like to give a brief introduction about myself. I am 26 yrs old, Just started my career as a researcher in Medicine. I am a great cook and have always had a dream to open my own cafe one day. Hopefully I would be able to get some insight to prepare myself in making my dream come soon very soon!
    I look forward in communicating with the members through this website who could help me in doing so.

Regards

Ami

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi Ami – welcome to FS.
    I am sure you will learn lots by hanging out here.

I would highly suggest you purchase the FS book How to Go It Alone in Business http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/book

NOTE: I am not asked or paid to do this. I just recommend it as an invaluable resource for people starting out.

All the best. :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

G’day Ami,

Welcome to the gang, and thank you for introducing yourself.

I hope you find lots of inspiration and helpful advice by hanging out with us here.

Nice to meet you :)
    Jayne

Ami
    Up

Thanks all I look forward :)

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Hi Ami,

Great to have you here! Good on you for doing your research… a good plan is great too.. helps you inch towards your dreams.

Looking forward to more chats :D

Ami
    Up

Hi GoldenGoose,

Thanks a lot :)

What in your opinion should I start reading about to build up my knowledge in opening up a small cafe business?

I know nothing about running a business in Australia.

Thanks again!

Ami

Ami
    Up

Thank you Karen :)

KarenC, post: 164780 wrote:
    Hi Ami – welcome to FS.
    I am sure you will learn lots by hanging out here.

I would highly suggest you purchase the FS book How to Go It Alone in Business http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/book

NOTE: I am not asked or paid to do this. I just recommend it as an invaluable resource for people starting out.

All the best. :)

WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up
    Ami, post: 164892 wrote:
    Hi GoldenGoose,

What in your opinion should I start reading about to build up my knowledge in opening up a small cafe business?

Thanks again!

Ami

Without a doubt – this forum!!! :D

There are always massive amounts of discussion on here about cafes – the ins, outs, ups and downs of starting, running and even walking away from. I believe there’s even a sticky post in one of the forum topics on it (can’t remember which one). Do a search in the forums for “starting a cafe” and I’m sure you’ll find lots of material to get you started!

Cheers & good luck!

Daniel

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up
    Ami, post: 164892 wrote:
    Hi GoldenGoose,

Thanks again!

Ami

Howdy!

You can start by contacting your local BEC to find out the council/gov’t requirements of a cafe.

I’m not sure about any specific books/articles relating to cafes as it’s a different industry to mine. I know Angela from VIVO Sydney is into that sort of thing and is probably worth following via Twitter etc.

Business Chicks and Women In Focus are great communities for women in business.

Personally I like to read Seth Godin and Bernadette Jiwa’s blogs…

Good luck! :)

Ami
    Up

Thank you :)

WhatsThePlanDan, post: 164904 wrote:

There are always massive amounts of discussion on here about cafes – the ins, outs, ups and downs of starting, running and even walking away from. I believe there’s even a sticky post in one of the forum topics on it (can’t remember which one). Do a search in the forums for “starting a cafe” and I’m sure you’ll find lots of material to get you started!

Cheers & good luck!

Daniel

Ami
    Up

Great.. thanks a lot. :) have a nice weekend!

TheGoldenGoose, post: 164934 wrote:
    Howdy!

You can start by contacting your local BEC to find out the council/gov’t requirements of a cafe.

I’m not sure about any specific books/articles relating to cafes as it’s a different industry to mine. I know Angela from VIVO Sydney is into that sort of thing and is probably worth following via Twitter etc.

Business Chicks and Women In Focus are great communities for women in business.

Personally I like to read Seth Godin and Bernadette Jiwa’s blogs…

Good luck! :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    WhatsThePlanDan, post: 164904 wrote:

Cheers & good luck!

Daniel

Hi Ami,

The post Dan is referring to is this one – it contains links to a few relevant threads for you.

Good luck,
    Jayne

AdServe
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

My advise is, Dont do it!
    No I’m joking but please do a year or two of research and never leave yourself too close to the edge.

Several years ago I bought a cafe in Surry Hills Sydney, I got it very cheap with only 50% up front and it did look like there was great potential there plus it had a 3 bedroom residence it all looked so easy, I built it up over a year but I was undercapitalised it caused a lot of problems and made things quite stressful.

A year later it was making a decent profit but I was too far behind the eight ball to ride it out and pay all the people who kept knocking on the door.. So I sold it for 3 times what was paid for it, paid my creditors and booked myself into a motel to recover haha. I lost nothing except a year of time but others are not so lucky..

The one thing that I did get out of it was an understanding of hospitality businesses and the biggest enemy of the managers of these business, Time!
    I also developed a security product through necessity and this product will be developed someday soon. So I guess my year was all R&D for my digital menu boards and new products..

and just an edit, the guy who bought it off me was a local, I never fudged any figures in the sale, it was an OK business at sale time BUT he was broke and the cafe closed within 4 months

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.