Home – New Forums Starting your journey I’m new here – I built a website to tackle TrueLocal. Need advice pls.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    paintingitred
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

Mods, can i pls mention my website without it being considered spam first pls?

Rball
    • Total posts: 136
    Up

Yes

paintingitred
    Up
    Rball, post: 116177 wrote:
    Yes

http://www.BuyFromMe.com.au

I want to get thoughts, opinions, criticisms and expert advice as to how i can launch this idea.

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi paintingitred and welcome to the forum.

You’re more than welcome to mention your site here, as long as you don’t use the forums as a place for self-promotion.

However, we normally find that the community is most inclined to offer support and advice after they’ve gotten to know you a little and learned a bit about the plans and activities you already have in place.

So, to kick things off, it would be great if you could tell us a bit more about yourself and your business – the ideal place is over in the Introduce Yourself thread. We recommend that you take a quick read through the forum guidelines first.

We also have a Community Reviews section if you’d like feedback on your new site. (If you decide to go down that route, please also read the guidelines at the top of the page in that section of the forum).

All the best for the new venture, and thanks for joining our community,
    Jayne

paintingitred
    Up

Thanks for the info Jayne.

My name is Steve, I’m 35 and work in IT as Test Analyst.

I created Buy From Me along with a few friends as a result of never being able to find the best person to speak to when calling or visiting in a business. To be honest it was very frustrating calling a business and telling me after placing me on hold for like 5 minutes (literally) that i need to speak to so and so who was not there anyway.

Anyways, i wanted some expert advice on how to market this idea and what strategies i would use to get the word out.

I don’t have a great deal of marketing or advertising experience so I was hoping that this forum could point me in the right track.

Any advice would be great.

Many Thanks.
    Steve.

elliottbailey
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

Hi Steve – firstly great job on your website! (I business makes websites and when I went to your website no problems jumped out a me which is a nice change!)

The biggest thing will be the catch 22 of having enough people using the website for a business to sign up and enough business’ on there for people to find it regularly and start to trust the sources.

I’d recommend these three things:

• Make it free until you hit critical mass – TrueLocal, Red Frog, Start Local etc… are all free and you can pay for aditional benefits
    • Find a niche – the standard laws of compentition suggest that when you have so many strong competitors you need a point of difference. Either a niche client based like clothing outlets a very high level or service etc… The tagline from internet marketting is ‘find a niche that’s an inch wide and a mile deep’
    • Get yourself and your mate actively involved – VERY actively involved. Rate everything you can. List everything you can. Ring business and ask if they would like you to list them for free and you will even type it in for them. Do whatever you can to get you closer to the critical mass point.

Also these guys have a great marketing blog – smallbusinessbigmarketing.com
    And if you want ongoing tips and trick on using social media and on page SEO to grow your business I post some on my business facebook page facebook.com/zigg.com.au

Either way you’ve chosen and fantastic challenge and I wish you all the best with it! Go for it!

paintingitred
    Up

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess my main concern at this stage is the fact that Buy From Me tells consumers the best people to speak to in businesses a clear point of difference from the other big sites like True Local, Yellow Pages, etc..?

dealflip.com.au
    • Total posts: 119
    Up

Hi Steve,

First of all great concept and website! I guess it’s all about getting awareness on your brand and how you bring value and using the right strategies for people to find your site.

This was certainly the case for our startup, like you we had very small experience in marketing & advertising especially SEO. Seeing that we are in a very small niche “business daily deals aggregation” we had to learn how to utilise these skills pretty quick.

I think SEO has been a crucial part in getting the word out, when we launched the site we had no tags, proper titles etc. After sitting down and learning as much as I could, we’re now ranking 1st-2nd for our specific keywords wish has increased traffic. There’s still along way to go of course and there are other strategies we utilize – social media, direct networking, forums, and even a lot of PR through business publications like Dynamic Business, My Business & Anthill Online to name a few.

Really critique your bigger competition and see what they’re lacking, how they’re letting down their customers and try to capitalize on that.

Best of luck with it! Keep us updated here on how you’re going!

Cheers,

Paul Serra

paintingitred
    Up

Thanks.

However on a different topic i am wondering what price to set for listings.

Off the bat i refuse to offer anything for ‘free’. That word unfortunately has been pillaged in marketing and carries a cloud of uncertainty as to what this word actually means. It rings the alarm bell for suspicion if you ask me.

So I will stick to setting a price but not sure what i should be charging.

Any ideas considering they say that perception is reality?

Nikita
    • Total posts: 120
    Up

Hey Steve. Nice idea.

In your particular case the best option would be a subscription based charges i.e 3month – 6 month – 12 month subscription. Please note that it will take time before you can start charging people – 2 ways really: a)To get some people on the site you really need to get SEO on track – that’s how portals developing in Australia anyway. or b.)Have some marketing spend (google, radio, tv advertising).

It’s gonna be tough to go against TrueLocal – they have approx 1.1 mil visitors per month. The way they did it – they simply scraped all business info together and put it in a nice format. Now, Google has the same business info as TrueLocal so you will see how they will be dropping in rankings over the next month/years.

Hope this helps.

Nikita

paintingitred
    Up

Thanks Nikita.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Yes you have said FREE is a no go, but offer a free level, then add charges for extras, like a live link, phone number , logo, ranked position etc. This is how Guntree does it.

As many others have said, critical mass is the key.

Also look at user input, we are well into web 2.0, so something to create more interest in the listing results you display, which on this page http://www.buyfromme.com.au/search.html is a bit uninspiring.

You need to make it that people WANT to come. This should as much be based on customer recommending and listing their fav business for free, as it is to build just another directory who’s only difference is that a name is assigned to the business, and that person may be out when I call anyway!

paintingitred
    Up

Thanks for the feedback.

Actually businesses can list up to two contacts,that way if one person is busy or not available the other person can take the enquiry.

Ditto on the search results. We have some other options available.

Tamper Evident
    • Total posts: 64
    Up
    paintingitred, post: 116330 wrote:
    Thanks.
    Off the bat i refuse to offer anything for ‘free’. That word unfortunately has been pillaged in marketing and carries a cloud of uncertainty as to what this word actually means. It rings the alarm bell for suspicion if you ask me.

So I will stick to setting a price but not sure what i should be charging.

Any ideas considering they say that perception is reality?

Hi Steve,
    You have a great idea there which appeals on lots of levels. Consumers looking for a personal experience – businesses looking to be more in touch with clients…but you already know that.

You need to get the businesses in to get people to search to get businesses to pay.

I’d list if I could see that you have a reasonable traffic with a chance of ROI.
    Pay per click is an opion. I’d happilly do this as I don’t pay if I don’t get called.
    Pay-to-promote is another. Basic result for free (which allows you to quickly get a lot of listing) then people can pay to have a bigger listing, higher listing more people listed under the same company.

Your not targeting Telstra size companies. It is SMEs. Give a free listing, then charge for more info, multiple sites, analytic data, promotion ops etc. Look to the right of this page…

Best of luck! I think it’s a cracker.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hi,

Well done on launching your site.

I think you need to explain why your site is different than Truelocal. As far as I can see, the main difference is that you provide a name. Personally, I have never had any issues with finding the right person to talk to, but I accept that some might have.

If you are against having a free option, then you really need to nail your point of difference. There a stacks of directories out their each promising the world, but most fail to deliver even a single lead.

You mention that your site will drive more sale, but really don’t offer any more details than a vague word of mouth blurb. That is not really how your site will drive sales, that’s how business in general works. How will your site find me NEW leads? That is the million dollar question.

All I see at the moment is a site that has a ASK FOR: section on each listing, which is not enough for me to spend $27.

Also, I know your are only in beta, but the site kinda looks half done. Most beta sites offer a free option to test and provide feedback.

Cheers,

Matt

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.