Home – New Forums Logistics IMPORT / EXPORT Start-Up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Amye
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

OK guys, so it is just after 9pm on the East Coast and I am sitting here trying to find a part for a car that we have just bought and yes you guessed, it is a Jap Import… and cannot find SQUAT.

I know alot of people in these forums are knee deep in the Import/Export (I/E) of wholesale products and LARGE quantities of clothing, footwear, goods etc, but I am wondering if there would be a market for THOSE car parts, THOSE shoes or THAT designer Handbag that you just cannot find locally. Obviously there is cause I am still looking and NOTHING!

So, my question/s.
    1. TO start a business in the I/E secotr is it viable to make contacts in locations before making the first leap – ie. Finding a local point of contact who can act as your middle man in another country.
    2. How do you test the water in your area to see if it would be viable without giving the idea away to someone else.
    3. Who do I approach first in order to make this happen, regarding gathering information on Customs and Security of bringing certains products into the country, ABN information and in turn Tax enquiries.

Now my head is going 100hundred miles an hour…
    Thanks in advance for your feedback, I am sorry that this may sound a little un-thought-out, but it is something that has been an ongoing issue for our family and many of our friends most of whom have imported cars and want genuine products.

Thanks again
    Amye

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

I had a business for a while doing exactly what you are looking at doing. I brought in car parts from the USA (mostly) that were in demand but not actually available via normal channels.

The automotive parts world is very cut throat and there are a lot of dodgy businesses with poor products who are only too willing to take your hard earned $. You can make money but I found it took a lot of hard work and a lot of time to keep on top of what is in demand and finding the right suppliers (be that based on price or quality of product). As a small fish in a big pool it is very difficult to make a mrgin on some things when the item can be imported (like yourself) direct from the same supplier you got it from (unless you have some sort of exclusive distributorship). Its often the GST and import taxes that kill the margin unless you can afford to buy large amounts which then leads to its own series of problems.

One thing I did find was don’t try to cover too many bases initially. It may seem like the best way to get known is to have lots of products to attract a wider customer base but this just means more initial cash outlay and more time researching. Your better off concentrating on a few key products and expanding from there once you are comfortable with the business.

Saying all that I know of a few guys who have very successful businesses importing from Japan and the USA.

richiey
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    Dardee, post: 34142 wrote:
    I had a business for a while doing exactly what you are looking at doing. I brought in car parts from the USA (mostly) that were in demand but not actually available via normal channels.

The automotive parts world is very cut throat and there are a lot of dodgy businesses with poor products who are only too willing to take your hard earned $. You can make money but I found it took a lot of hard work and a lot of time to keep on top of what is in demand and finding the right suppliers (be that based on price or quality of product). As a small fish in a big pool it is very difficult to make a mrgin on some things when the item can be imported (like yourself) direct from the same supplier you got it from (unless you have some sort of exclusive distributorship). Its often the GST and import taxes that kill the margin unless you can afford to buy large amounts which then leads to its own series of problems.

One thing I did find was don’t try to cover too many bases initially. It may seem like the best way to get known is to have lots of products to attract a wider customer base but this just means more initial cash outlay and more time researching. Your better off concentrating on a few key products and expanding from there once you are comfortable with the business.

Saying all that I know of a few guys who have very successful businesses importing from Japan and the USA.

HI Darren,

Im a noobie and this site has proved to be very helpful – have read it a while but have just decided to sign up….Just a quick question on your past experience – when importing car parts do you need to have any sort of license required? Im just looking into the possibility of bringing in stuff from the US – but there are so many things im thinking about – such as customs, taxes, duties etc..etc… again from your past experience what are the general markup costs from purchasing a product from the US to when you receive it in your hands? what type of structure would be ideal to setup i.e company or sole trader… I have found some reasonable contacts from the US and just seeing if things are all worth while in proceeding.

Cheers

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

I was only importing small quantities at a time keeping them under $1000 so I did not have all the customs paperwork and taxes to worry about. Markup depends on the product, the supplier, the exchange rate etc. There is no real set amount. They vary so widely.

Speak to your accountant about the business structure.

Simple1
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Sounds like it might be an idea worth looking in to.

Always possible to focus specifically on a niche in the market eg, Jap car parts importing.

Store front could be a website…

Once you establish a reliable source you could probably drop ship to your customers directly from the manufacturer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.