Home – New Forums Starting your journey Import food supplement from Korea

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Arty karter
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hello,

I’m looking for help to set up my new business. I plan to import a product from South Korea to Australia. It is a food complement omega 3 for vegetarians. The company belongs to one of the members of my family. The product is approved by different important food agencies around the world (FDA in USA, EFSA in Europe and Department of Health and Human Services in Japan), but it has been sold only in South Korea for the moment.

To start, I’m completely lost in the administrative part. On one hand the necessary approvals, certifications and controls of the product to be able to sell it in Australia and on the other hand custom formalities to send it from Korea.

Food industry and import-export are very new for me so any ideas, opinions and suggestion would be very helpful.

Thank you for your future answers and all flyingsolo community.

Arty

d3mad
    • Total posts: 73
    Up

I’d be interested to hear how you go on this. We’re after a very specific product from SEAsia, that just doesn’t seem to be imported here at all. I’ve got it slated for some phone calls this week. It IS a food item, a condiment/paste.

Very popular in it’s home country and just surprised it’s near impossible to find any reference to it on the net.

Good luck.

Arty karter
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hi Dave,

I’ve done a part of my homework. For my case it is not considered as a food item but a complementary medicine. For importing the product and selling into Australia I’ll have to enter it in the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods. After meeting all requirements it will cost me 800$ to enter it to the register and 1000 annually.

The product you are looking for might be a food item so the procedure is different. It might not be listed in the Australian register yet to be legally imported that why you can’t find it here. You can make an application by yourself if you are very interested to supply it, but some ingredients are forbidden in Australia or make the procedure more complicated.

All the best for your shop ;)

d3mad
    • Total posts: 73
    Up

The good ole TGA. I love some of The Checkout episodes where they discuss them. Always good for a laugh.

Thanks re our shop. We’re having a better week this week. Things seem to be falling in line.

Cheers.

Easysmb
    • Total posts: 84
    Up

Hi Arty
    If the product is regulated one, it would be better to consult to custom broker who is specializing in this area and have them to walk you through for initial importation etc. In this way, you can avoid potential risk like product recall etc.

Also try to talk with your potential client to double check the regulation requirements.

Good luck.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.