Home – New Forums Other discussions IMPORTANT NOTE – Names/address now on the business names register

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up
    ::

Would have been nice if they had notified us before they started the migration…

Yes, it would have been that’s for sure! Think I said earlier in this thread that I have been receiving email updates for months and I don’t recall seeing it anywhere. In my opinion, there really wasn’t enough promotion/information on the whole subject of moving to a national system. The number of business owners I spoke with leading up to the change that had no idea was staggering!

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

I got some email updates too. But at no time did they indicate they would be changing how the information was put on show nor did they give a warning that those who had their private addresses suppressed would now have them on display. I find this a real breach of privacy and perhaps what we need to do collectively is lobby our local MPs who are representative about this. A collective voice really does need to be heard.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 118292 wrote:
    My suggestion to home-based traders would be to speak with your accountant – they may be able to be listed, with their physical business address for this purpose of the ‘address for service’ and keep home addresses from being published that way.

Not sure I want to do this, my accountant also works from home.

JacquiPryor
    Up
    SuzsSpace, post: 120837 wrote:
    Not sure I want to do this, my accountant also works from home.

Hmm.. But at least then it would be their address published and not yours ;) I would still have a chat to them – they may already have a plan in place covering this exact ‘issue’.

This raises a huge point though… Accountants are quite often listed as the address for service for clients (usually by way of PO Boxes), so I wonder what they will do/use if they are also home based businesses and not wanting their own addresses. I imagine some might employ a ‘virtual address’ type service, but that just means more $$ they have to charge their clients. It really seems a bit of a mess doesn’t it?

Ok – so if you can’t use your accountant’s address… an address for service really can be any physical address – so long as you know that any correspondence being served to that address (which could include renewal notices, updates about your business name etc) will ultimately reach you.

JacquiPryor
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 120836 wrote:
    I got some email updates too. But at no time did they indicate they would be changing how the information was put on show nor did they give a warning that those who had their private addresses suppressed would now have them on display. I find this a real breach of privacy and perhaps what we need to do collectively is lobby our local MPs who are representative about this. A collective voice really does need to be heard.

I agree. I operate a company (Pty Ltd) rather than holding a business name, so am quite grateful I am not affected by this. ASIC is still experiencing massive delays in terms of migrating all of the information across and registration of new names, so, am (im)patiently waiting for it to be complete to really be able to see the outcome and all the relevant information etc.

I think the way they have ‘avoided’ (technically) breaching privacy is because this does only relate to the address for service. The actual business trading address can be restricted to only publish suburb/state if it’s a residential address – so, an address for service can be anyone’s address and anywhere and does not have to be the residential address so I suppose their argument is ‘well, if you don’t want your full address published, you are welcome to change it’.

I am slowly make my way through 6+ months worth of updates and information about this to see if I can find it mentioned anywhere.. will certainly update again if I find anything.

Leonie_C
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Thanks for this post Jacqui, and to others for your suggestions re using an Accountant. We’ll be looking into this as well.

cheers
    Leonie

kathiemt
    Up

Jacqui, I’ve just realised you live near me. I’m in Selby :)

I spoke to my Accountant today. She had no idea about this at all and was very against having her address used by all of her clients (she deals with small home based businesses mainly – over 300 of them) because of this stupid govt bungle. She also felt they were breaching privacy. She is going to have a chat to two of the associations she’s registered with. She told me to receive mail for all of her clients would be extremely time consuming and costly.

I’ve also contacted the founder of HBBA to see if she knew of this and she didn’t. She is going to let all her members know.

It’s looking more and more like we’re going to need to lobby our local MPs and make a very collective loud voice.

JacquiPryor
    Up

Ha – that’s funny Kathie – on the other “ASIC” thread, I have just now posted to you saying I’d just realised we are neighbours! Nice to chat with a fellow hills person!! (Hope you are staying warm… it’s been freezing in these parts!)

Is the founder of HBBA Barbara that you are referring to? I actually did a week long guest posting thing for them a few months ago, Barbara being my contact there so have got to know them quite well.

She is going to have a chat to two of the associations she’s registered with. She told me to receive mail for all of her clients would be extremely time consuming and costly.

Would love to hear a further update if you get one after she’s spoken with the associations you mentioned. Isn’t it silly that this is so unknown? The fact accountants are not aware really indicates how little promotion/information was sent out about such a major change!

It’s given me an idea for a new service though… maybe I can employ a virtual address and then charge people to use it?! ;)

kathiemt
    Up

Yes, Barbara Gabogrecan. And the two assoc my accountant are going to speak to are the CPA and another Accounting organisation.

I think this whole transition to the new register has been very badly handled. I can’t say I knew it was happening till I saw something on a forum. I don’t remember receiving any letters or official emails advising what was going to happen and how things would be at all. And there will be tons of business owners out there who have no idea at all.

Re keeping warm – thankfully we put central heating into this place when we shifted in nearly 3 years ago. We really do love it up here. Got 2 acres and it appeals to my sense of nature and my keen nature photography obsession. If you are out on the road look for a blue station wagon with my business name on the back – that will be me.

Re the virtual address, lol. I was thinking perhaps I’ll find out the street address of my post office (the Belgrave Newsagency) and put that instead as my address. I know of people who have done this in other instances and they still get their mail.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    Up

It’s going to be an interesting time and I hope you have luck working with these organisations. Another forum provided this link to the ASIC website:

http://www.asic.gov.au/bn-suppress

The information there tells us how to suppress the address but it also suggests the address on your form should not be your residential address:

Tell us:
    the details you want suppressed, and
    why you want them suppressed, such as any risk to personal safety or endangerment of life to an individual, their family or their employees.

We may contact you to request supporting information such as a copy of:
    a letter from the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) showing that the applicant has silent elector status
    a court order
    a police report, or
    other evidence to support this request.

Ok, who is going to charge a small amount to service people like me who have no other options?

JacquiPryor
    Up

Just to clarify here… the link also clearly says they will not suppress:

the address for the service of documents, therefore, the address for service should not be your residential address.

As noted earlier in these threads – it is the service address that is and will be published etc and principal place of business can be limited (at the time of application) to only suburb/state.

So – even if you have the details of your Principal Place of business somewhat limited or suppressed, the intent is that the full address for service address will be published – no ifs, buts or maybes as far as I can see.

For a lot of businesses, the address for service could very well be the same as their principal business address, and could very well be their home address. So, my suggestion remains that where possible ask your accountant or similar to act as address for service on the business names register….

JacquiPryor
    Up

Sorry Suz – just re-read my post and realised it sounded a bit blunt in response to yours – not my intention at all!!

I think that the information you found is quite crucial actually. For a lot of people who registered before 28 May, they will need to go through requests to suppress principal place addresses etc. (It’s automatically an option only on new applications to keep to suburb/state etc). I believe ASIC is still processing all of the information into the new system, so could still be a while before everyone can see a final and accurate picture of what is published on their name.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 122180 wrote:
    Sorry Suz – just re-read my post and realised it sounded a bit blunt in response to yours – not my intention at all!!

You know, I had to reread it to find I didn’t consider it blunt at all. Factual and useful but not blunt.

JacquiPryor
    Up

Well, I take back the apology then ;)
    Glad you found it useful.

kathiemt
    Up

One of the VAs on my forum found this page – very confusing information.
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/asic.nsf/byheadline/Business+name+addresses?openDocument

It says sole traders can have their home address withheld, but then it goes on to say that we can’t use a PO Box for service of documents and that a physical address has to be given. How many people here have a spare street address they can use? Not me and I expect most of us who are home based operators don’t.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I’ve just filled out a complaint form on the site and taken it a step further and written to Louise Asher who is the Minister for Small Business here in Victoria. Her email address is [email protected] if anyone else here in Victoria wants to write to her. I think we need to make as much noise as we can.
    [/FONT]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.