Home – New Forums Logistics Importing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cat – GLC
    • Total posts: 440
    Up
    ::

Hi I am wanting to import items from China I’ve found a supplier and a product now what do I do to get it here? :D

ok ok I know the answer to my question but I need your help.

Going to run a few seminars this year on the basics of logistics and importing. If you are an importer already what would you have liked to have known prior to your first shipment? What information would have been useful or still would be useful?

If you are looking at importing and have no idea on where to start with the logistics side of things, what are your main concerns? What would you like to know?

I do have a basic outline of what I would like to talk about but just need to make sure that I am covering the main questions that people do have.

Your help would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Cat :)

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

I am not an importer, but seems no one else has piped up thought I may offer something, based on what I have seen.

1. Incoterms, and just as importantly what they mean
    2. Assessing importing costs based on total cost, not just the shipping
    component (Example may be how shipping costs can be manipulated to
    make it look better than it really is.)
    3. Different shipping methods and their benefits and disadvantages.
    4. One often overlooked and misunderstood issue of ownership of the
    goods, when that changes hands, and the importance of insurance
    5. What services the forwarding agent provides (arranging shipping, customs
    clearance etc.)

Just a few things off the top of my head that have popped over time

Cat – GLC
    Up

Thanks Johny!

Some very good points. Sometimes because I am always surrounded by it, it is hard to try and remember the things which needed a bit more explaining when I was first learning.

If any more pop into your head just let me know :)

Cheers

Cat :)

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

If you can provide participants with a checklist they can take away, I am sure that would be helpful long term for them.

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

Hi Cat,

Again, I am not an importer but I deal with a number of them.

Common threads I seem to get are as follows:
    – Product Liability. A lot of importers think that they it will be a piece of cake to obtain cover for Liability for the Products they are importing. This sometimes is not the case (especially for children’s toys or items). There are a number of threads on FS where I have explained Consumer Law’s stance on importing so I won’t rehash those – moreso I would have insurance cover placed high on the checklist. You don’t want to bring in $10,000 worth of product and then find out that you can’t get cover for it.
    If you are only going to import small quantities (especially for high hazard items), perhaps have a established importer do it for you and you buy from them (as the import liability rests with them and you are only responsible for the wholesale/retail aspects).

– Transit Insurance Many people tend to think this cover is not important to obtain themselves and will rely on the cover that is provided by the import agent.
    In some instances, it is more beneficial to take an annual policy, rather than paying for each shipment (I remember one client told me how it was only $100 for each shipment he made (approx. every 2 weeks). He almost fell off his chair when I told him I could cover him under an annual policy for about 40% of what he paid for 26 single transit policies through his logistics provider…

Hope this helps – let me know if you need to clarify anything…

Regards,

Mark

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

Some points:

– Doing customs clearance yourself versus a freight forwarder. Did the first one myself – boy was it hard and stressful – but did learn a lot! Good appreciation of what is involved and why the Government has created an industry for freight forwarders due to the very complex customs laws.

– Items deemed risky to import or requiring from complex pre-clearance.

– how to keen keep all costs down and streamline delivery process

– at which point in weight and type of product is sea shipping more economical

Cat – GLC
    Up

Thanks everyone.

Keep the suggestions coming :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.