Home – New Forums Logistics Importing and Freight Forwarders… what to do? (Over $1000)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    MissT76
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I have previously imported goods and the Freight Forwarder cost me a small fortune.

After I had paid the money etc, I was told that the actual procedure could have been done by myself for a fraction of the cost.

Is that true? And if so, what is the process of paying everyone etc? Is there a checklist etc that needs to be completed when importing?

I do not regulary import goods, but when I do it is typically a signification cost involved and as a sole trader I am trying to keep the costs to a minimum.

Any feedback would be great!

Anon
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

Can’t help but would like some suggestions for this also. I buy a lot of stock from America and postage is becoming a killer. One of my suppliers has recently said I might want to look into a freight forwarded and apparently it might save on postage?

BJY35
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    MissT76, post: 123532 wrote:
    Hi,

I have previously imported goods and the Freight Forwarder cost me a small fortune.

After I had paid the money etc, I was told that the actual procedure could have been done by myself for a fraction of the cost.

Is that true? And if so, what is the process of paying everyone etc? Is there a checklist etc that needs to be completed when importing?

I do not regulary import goods, but when I do it is typically a signification cost involved and as a sole trader I am trying to keep the costs to a minimum.

Hi, im actually GM of a Freight Forwarding co. Since customs introduce their new system about 5 years ago, its not possible for people to clear new, purchased goods by themselves. Well it is, but you will need customs digital certificate and a license to be a broker, the pass rate each year to become a customs broker is about 10%, they make it very hard so anyone who passes is very eagerly sought. If you felt you were overcharged before, id be happy to talk to you about it, sometimes forwarders knowing getting another job from someone they will take to them with a big stick, or if you bought CIF from china, your factory probably got a massive rebate and you paid over the odds local charges to cover it. Kinda how china works now, so its always best to buy FOB so you can control everything and know the charges upfront.

We’d love to help you anyway, no matter where in Australia we can do timely and competetively if you have any questions please contact me as follows

Triways Australia Pty Ltd
    T: 03 9335 3222
    E: [email protected]

Cheers Brad !

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    MissT76, post: 123532 wrote:
    Hi,

Hi,

I am also a sole trader and imported goods from China to Australia this year. As it didn’t know about all the export and import stuff I also organized the whole procedure through a freight forwarder.

In my experience I couldn’t have done it without the freight forwarder. We had a few issues with our supplier and the delivery from their factory to the port but our freight forwarder organized everything without increasing the first offer significantly.

All costs were transparent and the main part of the delivery costs were the customs and not the freight forwarder himself.

In my opinion it is worth to import goods through a freight forwarder as it saves you lots of trouble and additional stress. I don’t believe that you save a lot of money if you do everything yourself as there are always hidden costs and as you have to pay for the customs anyway.

It would be good to compare different freight forwarder companies. I had various offers and the one I chose was significantly cheaper than others.

Good luck,

Claudia
    http://www.hiplouise.com.au

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    HipLouise, post: 133232 wrote:
    All costs were transparent and the main part of the delivery costs were the customs and not the freight forwarder himself.
    As someone that used to work in the freight forwarding business, I can concur with this comment.
    Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

When I received my invoice from the forwarder there was a line called “border security”, I asked why I was paying for a tv show. They didn’t see the humor.

Steve

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Without knowing the full details I can only make some general comments and offer some advice based on what I have seen.

Far too many people arrange CIF quotes for goods from China. In other words, get the supplier to arrange the shipping. Unfortunately, and I would agree with Brad, that quite often this involves the supplier getting a cheaper rate for the actual shipping component and the buyer paying more in handling fees at the destination port, making the whole process more expensive.

I would always suggest arranging quotes from suppliers on and FOB basis and arranging their own freight forwarder to cover the shipping.

There is this belief that everything in China must be cheaper and therefore it must be cheaper to arrange a forwarder in China to help. Well like everything there is good and bad and quite often the cheapest (regardless from where) price means the slowest vessel and poorest service. Not always, but it does happen.

Even though I have several forwarders I have used over a long time, I still get at least 3 quotes for every shipment, at least I am keeping them competitive.

And finally, the total cost needs to be considered, not just the actual shipping component, to get an idea of the total outlay. Many just look a tthe actual shipping component and see it as the cheapest and therefore the best option.

michelle0448
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    Hi,

I am also a sole trader and imported goods from China to Australia this year. As it didn’t know about all the export and import stuff I also organized the whole procedure through a freight forwarder.

In my experience I couldn’t have done it without the freight forwarder. We had a few issues with our supplier and the delivery from their factory to the port but our freight forwarder organized everything without increasing the first offer significantly.

In my opinion it is worth to import goods through a freight forwarder as it saves you lots of trouble and additional stress. I don’t believe that you save a lot of money if you do everything yourself as there are always hidden costs and as you have to pay for the customs anyway.

It would be good to compare different freight forwarder companies. I had various offers and the one I chose was significantly cheaper than others.

Good luck,

Claudia

THanks Claudia It would be hlepful if you could share who you actually ended up going with, regards Michelle

resparkle
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    Hi,

Good luck,

Claudia

Hi Claudia
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
    May I know which freight forwarder did you use?
    The one I’m using now has been a nightmare! They’re not cheap as well cos they’re suppose to be one of the top companies Aust.
    Cheers
    Pearl

Dazza53
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Re: Importing and Freight Forwarders Heeeeelp

Hi,

I am new to this site also and finding it very informative and I’m hoping someone can help. We have just started in the importing business and getting very frustrated trying to get most cost effective shipping. WE will be importing mainly from Italy but from 3 or 4 suppliers. Some shipments will be 2-4 cm while other maybe just one off items with a values of $1000 – $2000. It seems that the smaller items will cost me as much as the large shipments. I have been trying to find out if we can save money by having say 2 or 3 shipments picked up from various suppliers come together. Obviously paying $1000 freight for an item worth $1000.oo not going to work. Any advice or recommendations of a freight forwarder ( who doesn’t talk to people like they’re stupid ) would be appreciated

Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

Hi, there is a lot of good advice in the replies here so far. Three that stand out are

1/ If doing sea freight always go FOB

2/ Just don’t look at the actual sea freight component but ask for associated costs

3/ That you need someone who knows what they are doing ie a freight forwarder or courier company for clearance

If it is sea freight than I recommend having a chat to Cat from Global Logistics 1300 275 452 or [email protected]

If it is air freight than I might be able to assist as I am a freight consultant not a freight forwarder so could give you a couple of options. Based on the size of shipments there are some great air cargo rates around at the moment.

Cheers

Pete

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Re: Importing and Freight Forwarders Heeeeelp

Dazza53, post: 185328 wrote:
    Hi,

I am new to this site also and finding it very informative and I’m hoping someone can help.

Hi Dazza,

Pete has kicked things off with some great advice there – I hope it’s helpful for you, and am sure that you’ll receive some additional info from others too.

In the meantime, welcome to Flying Solo – we’re glad you’re finding it helpful.

Thanks for joining in the fun,
    Jayne

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.