Home – New Forums Logistics Importing From China < $1000 with CIF

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    joshy
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am looking at importing some sporting equipment from China. I have received a quote for about $840 CIF to Melbourne’s Port.

My question is, what steps do I need to take to pick up this shipment from the port? Is it at all possible to do for free?

Thanks,

Josh

Nat08
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi Josh

Is it Air or sea freight? If it is sea freight you will need to get a copy of the bill of lading from your supplier, this will show you which forwarder in Melbourne is looking after the freight. You will have port charges to pay to the freight forwarder, and you will also need to have a broker clear the goods as a SAC through customs. Depending on the exact nature of the goods, any timber?, and size I reckon you would be looking at around $300 in charges. Once it is customs cleared and you have paid local charges you can arrange to pick it up yourself.

joshy
    Up

Thanks for replying!

It will be by sea freight I believe. I read somewhere that if I have a digital certificate, then I am able to do the SAC myself and not use a broker. Would you know anything about this? If true, could you estimate how much just the freight forwarder would then be?

Oh and only rubber balls and things will be in my shipment, no wood.

Cheers

Nat08
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Yes if you have a digital certirficate to access customs you could do the SAC yourself, although you have to pay for the certificate so it probably isnt worth getting unless you would be doing them regularly. Freight forwarder charges are around $250-$300 minimum.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

For future reference, if/when you are shipping from China again, I would certainly consider looking at your order from the Chinese supplier on a FOB basis and arranging the logistics yourself.

Unless you trust your supplier implicitly, too many of them try to make money from the shipping, which ends up costing you more.

I think a lot of people go the CIF route because it is easier or they don’t really know whats involved, but often a local forwarder can help by providing options which are just as cheap or cheaper and offer a much more customised and better level of service.

At best, getting quotes from several forwarders can save you money, at worst, it has just cost you a little time.

I have written a story about this here:-

http://www.asiasupplierreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=358

(To the admins: I have made several links to my website in some posts here. The website is intended for offering advice and is not income generating, but please advise if this is not acceptable.)

joshy
    Up

Apologies for my ignorance, so if the terms I agree on are CIF, that means my package will be shipped to the Melbourne port, but I still have to pay $300 or so just to pick it up?

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

I don’t know what the local costs are, but yes, you need to pay to collect.

You need to pay the “local” costs for the shipment. That would include things like processing the goods off the vessel, documentation costs, handling costs etc. charged by the forwarder in Melbourne.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.