Home – New Forums Logistics Importing from china below 1000 dollars

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dapinder09
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi

I am planning to start my ebay business but I want to start it small. So I imported few products from China below 1000AUD and it went well, so I ordered the same batch again. My question is as below 1000AUD there is no GST on importing, am I breaking any rule by getting multiple shipments below 1000AUD for selling purpose. Need help of experts..

zayd687
    • Total posts: 77
    Up

Hi
    Not any rule that we know of, unless the goods are indicated of reaching over 1000 AUD. If they stop you then i would assume you would have a proof of purchase showing that what you paid for the goods. If they hold the parcel and you send them a proof of purchase / receipt to the supplier of say $1600, but the supplier split the parcels of under $1000 AUD each , then perhaps they could pull you up for avoiding Duty /GST which you basically volunteer to elect to pay the Duty / GST . Each transaction with your supplier must be per each shipment and under 1k.

None the less you should be right.

Remember they are aware of people importing through the mail and splitting the shipments to avoid duty and tax. Next year July is when the GST would probably come into effect for all shipments under 1K. It was suppose to be this year but it was pushed forward.

if there’s a way to tax you they will do it. :)

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I know someone who tried that. the problem was the 3 shipment all hit on the same day and there were serious questions (and GST) to pay.

zayd687
    Up

Unlucky. 3 different transactions , 1 supplier,
    Same shipping times it can be counted as shipment splitting to avoid tax.
    3 suppliers and 3 different transactions. You are fine. Always have a proof of purchase like a bank statement etc show how you paid for it.

Again if they ask questions… volountarily pay the GST or Duty refer to the customs act for voluntary payment. Very minor thing. Their more interested in large commercial volumes anyway which is another game itself.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    zayd687, post: 252163, member: 72406 wrote:
    Unlucky. 3 different transactions , 1 supplier,
    Same shipping times it can be counted as shipment splitting to avoid tax.
    3 suppliers and 3 different transactions. You are fine. Always have a proof of purchase like a bank statement etc show how you paid for it.

Again if they ask questions… volountarily pay the GST or Duty refer to the customs act for voluntary payment. Very minor thing. Their more interested in large commercial volumes anyway which is another game itself.

A better approach is just not to do anything dodgy as you are suggesting.

Sorry don’t rip of the legitimate tax payers in my opinion.

zayd687
    Up

Hi thanks for your opinion but its not dodgy im underlying the ” circumstances” and whats in the act. You would be the only importer i would of met who would of said no ill pay tax even if there was a free trade agreement or a tariff concession in your goods. If small businesses dont compete with larger ones who pay nothing. We wont have anything and trust me they dont pay anything or little ive been doing this for 14 years day in day out even sitting in when we would have to go to court against customs on behalf of importers on tariff valuations made on a later date. Just because ive told people a gray area , the people who would use it are those trying to make a living or get their ideas off the ground.
    If a forum member gets in trouble they can certainly contact us, i have helped many without asking them a cent when their in dire need.

Little Ferrets
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Not a strategy you will be able to rely on long term to avoid paying tax. GST on low value imports will be charged commencing 1st July 2018.

Fi @ Little Ferrets
    http://www.littleferrets.com.au

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.