Home – New Forums Starting your journey Importing from China, customs brokers, freight forwarding etc.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jump2015
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I’m new here. Trying to set up a new business.

I need to import some goods from China costing about $2000-$4000 to begin with. I won’t be importing regularly, may be once every six months. Can someone recommend a good customs broker/freight forwarder based in Melbourne please?

I’ll be ordering through Alibaba.com. Does anyone has any experience in this? How safe it is? My preference is to pay by PayPal but this option is not available when shipping by sea freight.

Many thanks in advance! :)
    Sam

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Sam,

Welcome to Flying Solo and good luck with your first shipment!

We do have some savvy importers in the forums, so hopefully they’ll drop by to lend some advice. :)

Dave

Jump2015
    Up
    FS Forum Support, post: 221930, member: 49676 wrote:
    Hi Sam,

Welcome to Flying Solo and good luck with your first shipment!

We do have some savvy importers in the forums, so hopefully they’ll drop by to lend some advice. :)

Dave

Thanks Dave! :-)

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Can’t offer you too much in the way of custom’s brokers, but here is something I wrote about Alibaba….

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141028013736-169973897-alibaba-my-experience?trk=mp-reader-card

It is not a matter of how safe Alibaba is, but how safe your intended supplier is, and for that you should do some checks independently from what Alibaba has done.

Many (probably most) suppliers offering more than small quantites won’t deal in paypal, and there are valid reasons for that. It doesn’t have to be a deal breaker.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    Johny, post: 221940, member: 34822 wrote:
    Can’t offer you too much in the way of custom’s brokers, but here is something I wrote about Alibaba….

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141028013736-169973897-alibaba-my-experience?trk=mp-reader-card

It is not a matter of how safe Alibaba is, but how safe your intended supplier is, and for that you should do some checks independently from what Alibaba has done.

Many (probably most) suppliers offering more than small quantites won’t deal in paypal, and there are valid reasons for that. It doesn’t have to be a deal breaker.

As always extremely valid input, one thing i would add Sam is to take advice from those experienced. Meaning, many will have 2 cents to add although have little actual practical insight such as ‘johny’ or a few others on this forum.

Understanding your preference is to deal and pay in paypal, please put on a suppliers hat a little.. Imagine going to your local supplier for, lets say, fashion in your capital city and saying ‘hey mate i wanna place a smaller order with you but only want to pay on paypal to protect myself’.. Just think about it a little..

Discussion with ANY supplier, foreign or local, requires due diligence independently of whom they are paying to spruik good words for them (read alibaba into this) to ascertain the credibility of supplier. Maybe even engaging buying services from people within the country of origin you are looking to deal with, hey johny dont you do this?, could be advantageous as well.

All the best, let us know how you go

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Jump2015
    Up

Thanks Johny and HarryLuke for the helpful comments. I’ll keep you all updated.

cargohound
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

Hi Jump 2015

We recently launched an online marketplace for international freight which is FREE to join. You can request a quote on your shipment and get multiple quotes back from “rated” freight forwarders. We also have freight experts on hand to answer any of your questions. Feel free to give us a call on 1300 883 243, or drop us an email at [email protected]

Cheers

Ian

Henry Ashton
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Morning Sam,

Give me a call… I can help you out 0477 017 225

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.