Home – New Forums Logistics importing from china freight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    beesknees
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

I’m new here :) So I recently decided to import from China some beekeeping equipment for myself and also to sell to start a new small business. I’ve done the order already including sea freight. It’s 14CBM and will be sent in about two weeks. The cost with shipping was fine but as I’ve learnt after ordering there is a fair bit of charges once it hits the port. I’ve also seen that it may be worth doing a FCL. Does anyone know where I can get a rough guide of port charges I’m up for in Melbourne for a LCL and if I had a FCL would it be better? What makes a FCL load port charges cheaper? I’m paying approx $38 per CBM through the seller from Qingdao to get to Melbourne.

I’ll be finding a customs broker (any recommendations in Melbourne) for the GST/duty part but realised I haven’t factored in certain cost so trying to get a rough idea before I have a panic attack.

Thanks in advance!

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi Beesknees

Thanks for joining the forums, I’m sure one our helpful members will be able to give you a good steer.

Best of luck with your new venture,

Robert

cargohound
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

Hi Beesknees

We have 30 of Australia’s best freight forwarders listed on http://www.cargohound.com and many of them are China experts. They will provide accurate quotes on all charges associated with a shipment prior to departure.

In terms of tariffs, I would recommend taking a look at FTA Portal https://ftaportal.dfat.gov.au/ where you can search for your specific HS code and the associated tariff.

Don’t hesitate to get in contact if you have any more questions

Kind Regards

Ian

zayd687
    • Total posts: 77
    Up

Hi guys,

I’m new here :) So I recently decided to import from China some beekeeping equipment for myself and also to sell to start a new small business. I’ve done the order already including sea freight. It’s 14CBM and will be sent in about two weeks. The cost with shipping was fine but as I’ve learnt after ordering there is a fair bit of charges once it hits the port. I’ve also seen that it may be worth doing a FCL. Does anyone know where I can get a rough guide of port charges I’m up for in Melbourne for a LCL and if I had a FCL would it be better? What makes a FCL load port charges cheaper? I’m paying approx $38 per CBM through the seller from Qingdao to get to Melbourne.

I’ll be finding a customs broker (any recommendations in Melbourne) for the GST/duty part but realised I haven’t factored in certain cost so trying to get a rough idea before I have a panic attack.

Thanks in advance!

If your going to start a new business, i may be able to help :
    Thats my ADD
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ramsgate-sydney/shipping consultant/k0l3004018?fromSearchBox=true

For general advice, I would say your supplier and your agent are probably laughing at the money they made of you and 38 dollars USD is a lot , you need to negotiate that down including the local port charges. I mean wow….

If your interested see my add , I can help you work through it
    thanks Ash

[Moderator removed Gumtree Advertisement – Overly Promotional]

Rebekah_G
    • Total posts: 37
    Up
    beesknees, post: 236507, member: 82499 wrote:
    Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

Good Evening,
    Wow 38 per cbm is high! 14cbm would have been much more cost effective via FCL 20GP. Port charges will be around 500 aud. Then you have duty, GST and any AQIS inspection costs. Plus the cost to unpack 14cbm. Please feel free to send me an email at [email protected].
    I would be happy to answer any of your questions. I have a good broker and transporter in Melbourne also should you need this arranged. I look forward to hearing from you

beesknees
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Hi everyone,

We received our container last month and I thought I’d just update for anyone in the future reading.

It worked out more cost effective to increase our order and get a FCL so we did that. Shipping charge was less on a FCL than the 14CBM. And port charges here were less too. We used a local broker a friend uses here who cleared everything here and it was good to see a break down of the prices we’d be up for for future orders now.

Next time we’ll be using our friend’s agent in China to organise the shipping etc and also negotiate our prices there. Luckily even with us being overcharged overall the prices are still well worth it for us.

It was a good learning experience though as it was our first time dealing with this place and I thank you for all your replies and information.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.