Home – New Forums Logistics Importing from China to Aust – Few Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ibbi250
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi There,

I have being going through this forum for quite a while and searching out different topics related to shipping.

I think this is the best place to get an answer to my query.

So far, the forum has been great in terms of information and help.

I am interested in procuring air purifiers (Aroma Diffusers). I have already got the samples and need to place a trial order.

The supplier has given me a FOB quotation (500 USD) (Sea Freight price subject to change).

1. What will be the customs fees? (if applicable)
    2. What will be the GST? (if applicable)
    3. What will be the charges in total to get the products cleared from Customs? (Breakdown will be really helpful)
    4. Will there be any port charges?
    5. Will there be any Shipping docking charges?
    6. Will there be any unloading Charges?

There will be about 10 cartons. All up to 10kg (Assuming) (weight is variable per box/carton) each.

Below is the breakdown for boxes/cartons.

Product 1: 52.5*35.5*47cm (2 cartons)
    Product 2: 52*35*27cm (2 Cartons)
    Product 3:52.5*35.5*37.5cm (2 Cartons)
    Product 4:72.5*50*32cm (1carton)
    Product 5:49.3*40*31cm (3 cartons)

I think this product falls in Tax Classification of TC 1442069 and based on this document AL TA’s void

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Customsnotices/Documents/2016-43.pdf
    I think HS or HSN code is 8421.39.00

At this stage, we are making a feasibility report and doing costing.

If some one can help with the shipping cost and charges to expect will be really helpful and will allow us to proceed on with completing the report.

Thank you

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=110929]@ibbi250[/USER] . It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting today.

Hopefully some helpful members will be along soon with some advice to point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

10 cartons = total of around 100kg?

If the total is only going to be 100kg, I would also ask your supplier to provide a quote to have the goods delivered to you by courier – most likely DHL.

Sounds strange that sending by air/courier may be cheaper, but there is a point where, by the time you pay all the various charges for sea freight, it can be more expensive.

ibbi250
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    Johny, post: 259106, member: 34822 wrote:
    10 cartons = total of around 100kg?

If the total is only going to be 100kg, I would also ask your supplier to provide a quote to have the goods delivered to you by courier – most likely DHL.

Sounds strange that sending by air/courier may be cheaper, but there is a point where, by the time you pay all the various charges for sea freight, it can be more expensive.

You are right. I talked to them and someone told me that getting goods via shipping is not good and cannot be done because the CBM and weight is too less.

Contacted the supplier and they said the same thing :P. However, they have offered to send via air for about 800 door to door. I am still looking a cheaper alternative.

Raestorm
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ibbi250, post: 259120, member: 110929 wrote:
    You are right. I talked to them and someone told me that getting goods via shipping is not good and cannot be done because the CBM and weight is too less.

Contacted the supplier and they said the same thing :p. However, they have offered to send via air for about 800 door to door. I am still looking a cheaper alternative.

800 USD seems fairly reasonable for courier door to door, I used your dimensions and got a quote of around 700 USD through our TNT business account. Some suppliers will try and make extra $$ with the freight costs where others will only charge you what it cost them.

Air will be the cheapest option for this size shipment (even though the actual per kg freight component cost for sea freight would be very low all the fixed fees would blow the cost out).

The other option is air cargo through a freight forwarder, the way the cost is calculated is similar to sea freight, a lower per kg price but extra fixed fees per shipment. A freight forwarder could still arrange a door to door service similar to the courier service. Courier would possibly still be cheaper for you, it’s been a while since I costed one out but from memory it’s around the 150kg mark where they tend to crossover.

Courier and Air Cargo calculate volumetric weight differently, courier is 200kg /cubic metre, air cargo is 166.7kg /cubic metre. Your dimensions work out to be approx 0.71 cbm so chargeable weight by courier would be 142kg and air cargo 119kg. Also your terms are FOB so the supplier should cover the costs of getting the product to the terminal ready to export via air cargo which will reduce your costs.

One thing to be extremely careful with when going air cargo is that they don’t palletise your cartons unnecessarily, when you are paying by volume odd sized cartons on a pallet can created a lot of ’empty’ space that you will be charged for.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    Raestorm, post: 259173, member: 102984 wrote:
    800 USD seems fairly reasonable for courier door to door, I used your dimensions and got a quote of around 700 USD through our TNT business account. Some suppliers will try and make extra $$ with the freight costs where others will only charge you what it cost them.

Air will be the cheapest option for this size shipment (even though the actual per kg freight component cost for sea freight would be very low all the fixed fees would blow the cost out).

The other option is air cargo through a freight forwarder, the way the cost is calculated is similar to sea freight, a lower per kg price but extra fixed fees per shipment. A freight forwarder could still arrange a door to door service similar to the courier service. Courier would possibly still be cheaper for you, it’s been a while since I costed one out but from memory it’s around the 150kg mark where they tend to crossover.

Courier and Air Cargo calculate volumetric weight differently, courier is 200kg /cubic metre, air cargo is 166.7kg /cubic metre. Your dimensions work out to be approx 0.71 cbm so chargeable weight by courier would be 142kg and air cargo 119kg. Also your terms are FOB so the supplier should cover the costs of getting the product to the terminal ready to export via air cargo which will reduce your costs.

One thing to be extremely careful with when going air cargo is that they don’t palletise your cartons unnecessarily, when you are paying by volume odd sized cartons on a pallet can created a lot of ’empty’ space that you will be charged for.
    [USER=102984]@Raestorm[/USER] – Welcome to the community and thank you for your thoughtful response!

zayd687
    • Total posts: 77
    Up

I am not sure, if you are a startup or your compiling a report for the company. If it is a company then tell them it will cost less then their wages.
    If your a startup i suggest that you realise that capital is king and if this sort of shipment is worrying your costings, then double think if importing / exporting is for you.

See below Answers.
    Assuming FOB 500 USD

1. What will be the customs fees? (if applicable) None
    2. What will be the GST? (if applicable) None
    3. What will be the charges in total to get the products cleared from Customs? (Breakdown will be really helpful) Customs clearance fee can range . Don’t go to a cheap broker ( estimates about 100 – 250 ) You get what you pay for.

4. Will there be any port charges? Yes –
    5. Will there be any Shipping docking charges? As above included in port charges
    6. Will there be any unloading Charges? – Yes included in port charges / break down of the container etc.

I think this product falls in Tax Classification of TC 1442069 and based on this document AL TA’s void

– Your classification is incorrect and do not even go into the TC’S! Approach a viable broker and get him to check when your goods are worth it. Remember your only paying 5% on most commodities and until you actually reach a point where your paying say 10k a shipment for goods alone, the duty is like pennies. You can get out of that but not your GST / EEC.

Suggest you pay some money whether it be $200 ++ to advise you and get everything in order .. develop a relationship and then start your business / Report.

if $200 + + is too much for you to seek professional advice, then this might not be for you. The Class and TC’s your promoting will get you into a lot of trouble. Remember if you recommend a TC or tariff your responsible and your liable.

Pay for the Advice and let them sort it out. If this is long term and a larger outlook on the business.

Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up
    ibbi250, post: 259120, member: 110929 wrote:

Contacted the supplier and they said the same thing :p. However, they have offered to send via air for about 800 door to door. I am still looking a cheaper alternative.

Hi, not sure if you have already done this but can set up an account for you for door to door, based on the dimensions and weights you have given, it would be $936 AUD, approx $700 USD

Cheers

Pete

Kianda1
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ibbi250, post: 259078, member: 110929 wrote:
    Hi There,

I have being going through this forum for quite a while and searching out different topics related to shipping.

I think this is the best place to get an answer to my query.

So far, the forum has been great in terms of information and help.

I am interested in procuring air purifiers (Aroma Diffusers). I have already got the samples and need to place a trial order.

The supplier has given me a FOB quotation (500 USD) (Sea Freight price subject to change).

1. What will be the customs fees? (if applicable)
    2. What will be the GST? (if applicable)
    3. What will be the charges in total to get the products cleared from Customs? (Breakdown will be really helpful)
    4. Will there be any port charges?
    5. Will there be any Shipping docking charges?
    6. Will there be any unloading Charges?

There will be about 10 cartons. All up to 10kg (Assuming) (weight is variable per box/carton) each.

Below is the breakdown for boxes/cartons.

Product 1: 52.5*35.5*47cm (2 cartons)
    Product 2: 52*35*27cm (2 Cartons)
    Product 3:52.5*35.5*37.5cm (2 Cartons)
    Product 4:72.5*50*32cm (1carton)
    Product 5:49.3*40*31cm (3 cartons)

At this stage, we are making a feasibility report and doing costing.

If some one can help with the shipping cost and charges to expect will be really helpful and will allow us to proceed on with completing the report.

Thank you
    I am new to the forum, I am a freight forwarder – I would recommend a courier service like DHL.

Customs charges are as follows
    Doc fee anywhere from 95-150 AUD
    Duty – zero if you have a FTA CCO – certificate of origin
    GST 10%
    Government charges – 185 – 194
    Delivery – around 65 AUD

If you would like more assistance email me at [email protected]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.