Home – New Forums Logistics Importing goods for sales

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tan Ha
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

While I was overseas, a textile manufacaturer requested me to help him selling his products in Australia.His idea is to send me samples of his products, so that I can contact small retailers and get orders from them.Intention is to courier items from abroad which I will then receieve and sale to retailers here. I am afriad my ignorance about Taxation laws would lead me to legal troubles. My questions might be really dumb, but I am newbie.

I understand that if the imported items are worth less than 1000AUD , then it is not taxable.But what if I get multiple packages 2-3 times a week.

Would I need to apply for any sort of license other than ABN number ?

Would I need to include GST in my sales values ?

If you guys have an links or documents that would be helpful for a startup like this, please share.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Tan Ha,

Welcome to Flying Solo!

I can’t answer your questions, but hopefully some experts will be along shortly to help you out.

Good luck!

Dave

Tan Ha
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thank you Dave.

Still waiting for someone to come forward with any advice. Stuck here.

Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

Hi, if the type of goods are the same in these multiple orders than there is a high possibility that Customs will treat it as one big order which as has happened to some business owners before, eg order 1 is 9000 red t shirts at $900 and 2 days later order 2 is 8000 red t shirts at $800 then there is a chance they will think you are trying to avoid GST/duties and you will be billed. If order 1 is red t shirts and order 2 is shorts and jackets than usually it wont be a problem. You may get a request to prove they are seperate orders ie be able to show two diferent bank transfers for payment.

The best way might be to send orders direct from manufacturer to your client (as long as your manufacturer agrees not to sell direct to these clients)

Other than ABN you wouldnt need any other licence to import these goods

Regards GST on sales check out http://www.ato.gov.au/Business/GST/

Cheers

Pete

Tan Ha, post: 185993 wrote:
    While I was overseas, a textile manufacaturer requested me to help him selling his products in Australia.His idea is to send me samples of his products, so that I can contact small retailers and get orders from them.Intention is to courier items from abroad which I will then receieve and sale to retailers here. I am afriad my ignorance about Taxation laws would lead me to legal troubles. My questions might be really dumb, but I am newbie.

I understand that if the imported items are worth less than 1000AUD , then it is not taxable.But what if I get multiple packages 2-3 times a week.

Would I need to apply for any sort of license other than ABN number ?

Would I need to include GST in my sales values ?

If you guys have an links or documents that would be helpful for a startup like this, please share.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Tan Ha,

With regards to your questions about ABN, GST etc, you’ll find links to some answers in this thread:

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/starting-business/14182-starting-business-please-read-before-posting.html

I also recommend that you have a chat with your accountant before moving forward.

Good luck with it all,
    Jayne

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.