Home Forums Logistics Importing Goods From Japan

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SCO
    • Total posts: 3

Hello everyone

I am starting a new business and have been doing many hours and days of research. I can’t seem to find the correct answer to my question.

I want to import goods from Japan (miniatures items)

regarding ‘Consumer Safety Standards” and “Packing description”.

It is written in Japanese – not translated out in English) Products have passed the safety standard in Japan, not for the international globe). I’ve been advised to check with Australian Consumer Safety Standard.

I have asked if Seller Merchandiser could provide a label in English “Warning Hazards” Eg….

• This is not food! Do not place in your mouth
    • Keep these small pieces away from children as choking is one of the leading causes of unintentional & related death amount infants.
    • some of them may be sharp as they are made to replicate real everyday items.
    • etc……

They don’t provide labels to the products they have in stock (Only for new release items can be made).

can label be done once reached Australia (before selling goods to consumer public? Or it has to be done before arriving in Australia?

I’ve been calling up around (business.gov.au, Department of Home Affairs (DFAT), Australian Boards Force and Australian Competition & Consumer Commission)

They don’t seem to have specific safety guidelines for miniatures figures.

Freight:

Need recommendation & suggestion with shipping method for small to large orders

• Postal Service
    • EMS / FedEx / DHL / UPS
    • SAL
    • Surface Mail
    • Federal Express
    • Ocean Cargo

Buying Agent / Import Agent

Need a recommendation as well

Thanks in advance.

robdash
    Participant
    • Total posts: 87

Hi Sco, and congratulations on your new venture. I can help you with the freight.

Postal service, can be unreliable and slow while COVID 19 plagues the airlines.
    EMS – probably affected as well.
    Fedex DHL and UPS are the best bets for small air freight. If you are talking items under 70 kg I acn get you some good rates with the big 3. they are more reliable because they have their own planes, but there are still delays.
    Ocean freight is good if you are importing pallets or containers. Economies of scale tend to start at 1 cubic metre and up

You also need to consider the Free Trade agreements. Do your goods comply? Do you need a FTA? Happy to give further advice – rob@dashfreight.com.au

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,117

Hi and welcome to Flying Solo [USER=118118]@SCO[/USER] .

Thank you for posting.

Only really a lawyer could advise you around the labels.

Good luck with your new business.

Cheers

SCO

HI Rob,

Thank you for your replied message.

I really appreciate for your help. Very informative.

Are you able to provide me a quotation for LCL Freights?
    I have emailed you directly.

Question regarding product packaging description (It written in Japanese). Does it need to be translated out in English before arriving to Australia? can it be done after arrival before selling out to consumer public?

do you have any clients import from Japan? do they have any issues coming through to Australia?

I would like to know more information on Free Trade Agreements!

I have been given this link from business.gov.au about JAEPA (The Japan-Australia Economic Partnership Agreement) Is this what you’re referring to?

Also I have a copy of SGS Test Report from Merchandiser. Would that help? (whether complied or not)

where can I need to submit this SGS Report to?

https://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/agreements/in-force/jaepa/Pages/japan-australia-economic-partnership-agreement

Japan-Australia Economic Partnership Agreement | DFAT

About JAEPA. The Japan-Australia Economic Partnership Agreement (JAEPA) entered into force on 15 January 2015. Prime Minister Tony Abbott and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced that negotiations on the agreement had concluded on 7 April 2014, and signed the agreement on 8 July 2014 in Canberra.
    http://www.dfat.gov.au

********************************************************************************

robdash, post: 270115, member: 117305 wrote:
    Hi Sco, and congratulations on your new venture. I can help you with the freight.

Fedex DHL and UPS are the best bets for small air freight. If you are talking items under 70 kg I acn get you some good rates with the big 3. they are more reliable because they have their own planes, but there are still delays.
    Ocean freight is good if you are importing pallets or containers. Economies of scale tend to start at 1 cubic metre and up

You also need to consider the Free Trade agreements. Do your goods comply? Do you need a FTA? Happy to give further advice – rob@dashfreight.com.au

robdash, post: 270115, member: 117305 wrote:

SCO
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 270119, member: 78928 wrote:
    Hi and welcome to Flying Solo [USER=118118]@SCO[/USER] .

Thank you for posting.

Only really a lawyer could advise you around the labels.

Good luck with your new business.

Cheers

Thank you Paul! Just wondering whether there free legal advice out there? Or any recommendations lawyer that could assist further.

many thanks

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,117
    SCO, post: 270171, member: 118118 wrote:
    Thank you Paul! Just wondering whether there free legal advice out there? Or any recommendations lawyer that could assist further.

many thanks
    Not that I am aware of.

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.