Home – New Forums Find the help you need Importing Information on Tobacco

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mfletc01
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi all; Matthew here

I’m an delving into the possibility of starting a tobacco business in Australia, i am looking to source my product from named tobacco companies in America to then re-sell online in Australia

I’m seeking the ins and outs of importing tobacco
    I.e
    -Logistics
    -Licences
    -Duties
    -Risks
    -If there are any professionals i can ask for assistance

and any relevant information on the topic
    also any articles/books i can read up on

Thank you all :)

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

No direct input, am curious though… are you merely going to (or wanting to) import tobacco in named cartons and resell those cartons untouched here – aka importing?

What is your motivation? cheap cost of purchase in the US for example?

My immediate recommendation would be to speak with border control to understand any excise or duties payable along with legal obligations due to the specialty of the product. Furthermore, may also pay to reach out to a freight forwarder who can also advise of freight costs and so forth…..

Government departments would be best to set out guidelines you are asking about initially though.

Cheers

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    mfletc01
    Up

Correct Lucas, i am looking at bridging the international market with Australia with certain type of Tobacco as i believe there is a gap in our market.

I am just seeking anyone who has had prior experience with the tobacco industry. I understand the process is hard and expensive; and is highly frowned upon due to obvious health reasons. but none the less there is a demand for tobacco.

cheers

Dash Freight
    Participant
    • Total posts: 94
    Up

I can get you a quote on the freight. I can give you an estimate on duty, taxes and excise. But I cannot help you on your licensing requirements. email me with shipment details for the freight quote

Rob Dash E: [email protected] M: 61 423 136 053 Quotes: https://tinyurl.com/yae7tbj6 S: live:rd2221
    mfletc01
    Up

Hey Rob,

Thank you for the assistance, when i am ready i will sent you an email regarding the details.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Matthew,

One thing to consider is that we, in Australia, have the plain packaging laws on tobacco products so if you are looking to import a branded product you wouldn’t be able to sell ‘as is’ as you would need to comply with our plain packaging laws. That part you can read more about in the legislation at https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2011A00148

In terms of importing, the Australian Border Force has some information available around the permits you might need to consider: https://www.abf.gov.au/importing-exporting-and-manufacturing/prohibited-goods/categories/tobacco

Given the nature of the industry, it may be worth speaking with a lawyer that can offer advice more specifically.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.