Home – New Forums Logistics Importing jewellery from UAE to Australia – Customs Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joey.Loves.Jewellery
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I am currently researching a new business idea and would be grateful for your help.

I am looking at importing custom made jewellery (engagement rings, wedding bands etc) from the UAE to Australia. The business would be based in the UAE and I have the relevant contacts in the industry. I understand that the import fees would be as follows:

5% customs duty (based on the value of the item at time of posting).
    10% GST (on the total value of the jewellery + postage and insurance + duty) Customs broker fees and entry fees (approximately a further $100).

Where I am getting confused is how I would avoid the end buyer having to complete the relevant forms to clear customs. I would more than likely be sending individual packages direct to the buyer, and I would like to tidy up this admin myself prior to them receiving their package.

Would the alternative option would be to have all packages sent to a contact in Australia and then have them distribute? I am just hoping there is an above board way of avoiding this extra step and I cannot seem to find any information on this.

Is there any licenses required to import into Australia? Is there any other details I should consider?

I am more than happy to do my own research if anyone could help send me in the right direction, and I would be more than grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan Hartnett
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

Hi,

With regards to customs fees, GST etc., it’s worth noting that these won’t apply for items under $1000 in value. If your items are worth more than that, using a carrier like FedEx or DHL should allow you pay the taxes/fees (you select this when filling out the waybill), so that your customer won’t get any nasty surprises. You can of course build this into your pricing.

Good luck and go for it!

Nathan Hartnett
    http://www.talknbusiness.com
    Author of “Retail Rebellion”

Joey.Loves.Jewellery
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Thanks Nathan,

I am going to DHL today to investigate further.

I am appreciative of your help.

Joey.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.