Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Importing Jewellery from UAE to AUSTRALIA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joey.Loves.Jewellery
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I am currently researching a new business idea and would be grateful for your help.

I am looking at importing custom made jewellery (engagement rings, wedding bands etc) from the UAE to Australia. The business would be based in the UAE and I have the relevant contacts in the industry. I understand that the import fees would be as follows:

5% customs duty (based on the value of the item at time of posting).
    10% GST (on the total value of the jewellery + postage and insurance + duty) Customs broker fees and entry fees (approximately a further $100).

Where I am getting confused is how I would avoid the end buyer having to complete the relevant forms to clear customs. I would more than likely be sending individual packages direct to the buyer, and I would like to tidy up this admin myself prior to them receiving their package.

Would the alternative option would be to have all packages sent to a contact in Australia and then have them distribute? I am just hoping there is an above board way of avoiding this extra step and I cannot seem to find any information on this.

Is there any licenses required to import into Australia? Is there any other details I should consider?

I am more than happy to do my own research if anyone could help send me in the right direction, and I would be more than grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

What is the value of the goods.
    The rules are different if your invoice < $1,000 AUD Steve

Joey.Loves.Jewellery
    Up

Hi Steve,

I understand the requirements for Jewellery valued at less than $1000.

The Jewellery would be custom made and therefore the value would differ from piece to piece.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Ok direct answers to your questions.

Joey.Loves.Jewellery, post: 128817 wrote:
    Where I am getting confused is how I would avoid the end buyer having to complete the relevant forms to clear customs. I would more than likely be sending individual packages direct to the buyer, and I would like to tidy up this admin myself prior to them receiving their package.

Shipping with a courier, I assume the jewelery wont be too large, the courier company handles the customs paperwork and then charges the receiver for the service.

Would the alternative option would be to have all packages sent to a contact in Australia and then have them distribute? I am just hoping there is an above board way of avoiding this extra step and I cannot seem to find any information on this.

Yes this way is also possible and would also be cheaper. You choose if your going to pass these savings onto the consumer.

Is there any licenses required to import into Australia? Is there any other details I should consider?

Generally there is no license for importing general goods but there may be some technicalities for jewellery that I’m not aware know of.
    Other thing to consider is insurance.

I am more than happy to do my own research if anyone could help send me in the right direction, and I would be more than grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance.

This may be a helpful site

Steve

Joey.Loves.Jewellery
    Up

Steve,

Many thanks for your responses. Very useful and I am grateful for your assistance.

I am going to DHL today, and have a contact in Australian customs that I will approach to check if there are any implications with importing Jewellery.

Thanks again,

Joey.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.