Home – New Forums Logistics Importing products from China

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    TRepublic
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I ‘ve got a query about importing goods which cost less than $1000 from China. My supplier has given me a FOB price for the goods and I am not sure what I have to do from this end to clear it? Is it possible to get them delivered to my door?

any advice on this is much appreciated

Thanks
    Shero

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Shero

Anything is possible. But how big is it (CBM)? whats the weight? Is there shipping already planned by supplier? Are you doing this to avoid import duties? is this a long term business venture and you intend on avoiding import duties on each order, regularly?

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    TRepublic
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hi Jason,

This is for my wedding and party business where my customers request personalised favours etc and usually they need them in 100’s. So there will be regular small quantities shipped to me by my supplier. I am not sure about the size :) I haven’t done this before and this is the first time I am getting things from china :)

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    TRepublic, post: 197785 wrote:
    Hi Jason,

This is for my wedding and party business where my customers request personalised favours etc and usually they need them in 100’s. So there will be regular small quantities shipped to me by my supplier. I am not sure about the size :) I haven’t done this before and this is the first time I am getting things from china :)

Ok,

It will be important for you to establish if it is shippable via airmail etc.. my personal recommendation will be to speak with the supplier and ask how they normally ship them to their existing clients.. you will then become more aware of the questions you will need to ask locally, be it customs broker or us :)

If smallish quantities generally you will find DHL or some other similar service more suitable.. but will depend on weights and sizes as we are still (as you are not) aware of this as yet.

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    JellyChip
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

TRepublic,

Happy to help. Gone through some similar situations. Basically, you’ll need to engage a local customs / freight broker that will help arrange everything from shipment, cusoms processing, quarantine where necessary, port charges etc and then delivery to your door or pickup if you want to pickup.

When you talk to suppliers in China and are dealing with things like FOB, you’re usually talking not just quantities of 1-200, so it just depends how bulk you want to go with your quantities.

I’ve found FOB to be more price and cost effective vs CIF.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need some help with contacts in the freight side. Btw, i’m getting married at the end of the year, maybe you can help me too! hahah!

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

If you’re getting 100 items and they fit in a standard size removalist box (or up to 2 max) then it’ll be cheapest to go via air freight (DHL and Fedex are usually the cheapest).

Once you get up to .5CBM you’re better off looking at seafreight.

It’s not an exact science but I agree with Jason, ask the supplier how they normally send them and they’ll tell you which way is the cheapest usually.

Maclean

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.