Home – New Forums Logistics Importing small shipment Spain to Aus (Melbourne)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    AdrianM
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hello fellow Flying Soloists,

I am in the process of purchasing some wholesale stock for my online store. The products are coming from Spain and will only be a small shipment – it will be under 3kg in weight and dimensions 60cm x 40cm x 60cm. The company said they could get a quote for me or I could source one if needed as I am their first Aussie wholesale customer.

I have started getting some online quotes, but the prices are ridiculous! It is only going to be $600 AUS max. worth of products, but looking at anywhere between $300-$620 to ship it. These quotes were from FedEx and DHL.

Does anyone have any recommendations of cheaper shipping companies? It isn’t time sensitive, so happy to wait 3-4 weeks for shipment to get here.

As this is the first time importing something from Spain, I’m wondering if there is anything else I should read up on to ensure I don’t get slugged with horrendous fees that a newbie just wouldn’t consider.

Thank you all for your time and I appreciate your knowledge sharing :)

Adrian.

Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

Hi Adrian, whilst it only weighs 3 kg, the catch is the size kicks in dimensional weight, ie the space it takes up. In this case it works out to be 24kg hence the cost. Based on the value you have mentioned there won’t be any duties or taxes so whatever you get quoted, as long as you request door to door price, there should not be any surprises unless Customs decided a quarantine inspection is warranted. Due to the size, air is the only viable option, as you mentioned it isn’t time senstive, than I would choose an Economy service. I have a carrier partner who would fit this criterea, cost would be $320 for door to door service

swas1992
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

i would highly recommend you to look for freight forwarding company , please note not courier company , courier companies charge a fortune

AdrianM
    Up
    Petemac, post: 214784, member: 50142 wrote:
    Hi Adrian, whilst it only weighs 3 kg, the catch is the size kicks in dimensional weight, ie the space it takes up. In this case it works out to be 24kg hence the cost. Based on the value you have mentioned there won’t be any duties or taxes so whatever you get quoted, as long as you request door to door price, there should not be any surprises unless Customs decided a quarantine inspection is warranted. Due to the size, air is the only viable option, as you mentioned it isn’t time senstive, than I would choose an Economy service. I have a carrier partner who would fit this criterea, cost would be $320 for door to door service

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for this information and sorry for the delayed response, this somehow got lost in my Inbox that someone had responded. I have since order a larger volume and have the exact amount quoted for the current order I now have. I appreciate your help. I will take down your details for future though as I am hoping to have more orders with this company.

Adrian.

AdrianM
    Up
    swas1992, post: 215116, member: 68042 wrote:
    i would highly recommend you to look for freight forwarding company , please note not courier company , courier companies charge a fortune

I did actually look into this, but it didn’t really look like a cheaper option (unless I’m looking in the wrong places). I have also recently had a pretty bad experience with importing a whole heap of crayons from Germany, so want an option that I can include insurance on (lets just say that Customs or someone got into it and only about 40% of the stock is in a condition that I can sell).

Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

If you are looking at insurance and regularly shipping a combination of international and domestic freight, it may be worth talking with an insurance broker regards an annual policy as this may be be a cheaper option than taking insurance on a couple of individual shipments direct with either courier or freight forwarder.

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.