Home – New Forums Logistics Importing…the actual costs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BrisVegasGhost
    • Total posts: 49
    Up
    ::

Can someone please advise on the true cost of importing. I have contacted a couple of freight companies but they always seem to leave out one important cost….their brokerage fee. When I emailed what their fees are I get no response. Twice this happened today…frustrating.

I will be shipping a 20′ container (gym equipment)
    21.42 cbm
    GW 7220kg.
    From Nantong to Brisbane
    Cost of goods AUD $20177
    Gst 10%
    Duty 5%
    import processing charge $40.20
    Customs Clearance $265 per container
    AQIS: been advised minimum $139 per container
    Port fees in Brisbane: Have been advised $700 to $800 per container

What about insurance, shipping charges and brokerage fees to have everything cleared. Once at the port of Brisbane the container will have to travel 15km to destination.
    All cost I need to know for my due diligence and business plan. I want no hidden costs.
    Any feedback welcomed.
    Cheers

MH08
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

Off the top of my head a twenty footer should be around $2,700 to $3,700 landed at your door. Price depends on service and requirements.

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

Your freight forwarder should be able to calculate a close to exact price for all charges including brokerage to your door. If they can’t find another one.

Insurance isn’t standard, so it would be an added option.

joeljp
    • Total posts: 61
    Up

The brokerage fees isn’t much. It’s usually around $100 per Bill of Lading.

As for transportation, there is generally a $50 – $100 difference between a side loader (container delivered onto the ground) or on a trailer. Trailer is more difficult to unload so it’s worth thinking about this option when you speak to your customs broker when it comes to delivering the box.

You’re best to buy your own marine insurance, any insurance broker will be glad to help you. You can buy per shipment or over a year. This all depends on your forecast which is the more cost effective option for you.

Oh, another cost is unloading your container. In Sydney, you can pay anything from $150 to $300+ (ex GST) to unload a container. Again, shop around or best to get a referral from someone you know. Let’s just say, the fellows who unload containers can be a bit rough on your goods and paying a little more can save you headache and loss.

Good luck with the rest. The first few boxes are the hardest, then it gets easier from there.

Cheers, JJ

IMEX Sourcing Services2
    • Total posts: 42
    Up

Hi,

We would love to assist with this. We are a China based, foreign-owned, sourcing, QC & logistics company, focusing primarily in Australia & UK.

We help importers in Australia manage the entire process right from the factory door to your door and offer a fixed quote to your door which is inclusive of all costs. This eliminates “surprises” in your final logistics bill from your forwarder. We normally sell on DDU basis.

If you could send me some details of the shipment over, I would love to discuss to see if I could be of any value.

Thanks
    Ash

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

HI there,

Currently I’m only importing LCL (around 4CBM at a time), hoping to do my first FCL early next year but I use and completely recommend Cat from Global Logistics Solutions. They’re always totally upfront with all costs and also give a ‘worst case’ scenario so I know at worst how expensive it could be.

Cat’s always gone to extra effort to find me the most cost effective solution even though I need a lot of stuff done outside of hours.

Hope that helps!

Maclean

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.