Home – New Forums Find the help you need Importing timber products China – Melbourne

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    EmperorJimmy
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hey guys, I’m new here, been reading the forums for a while but thought I should post.

I’ve been making some timber furniture myself, but can’t keep up with demand and looking to outsource to China. Have read and read and read, but wondering if there’s anyone out there who might be able to offer me some advice or guidance with regards to the import process – suppliers, incoterms, freight forwarding, customs etc. If anyone is keen to answer some stupid questions I’d love to chat.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=116387]@EmperorJimmy[/USER] .

It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

Cheers

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

There are some knowledgeable people on here in regards to this, also check out the Border Force website for import costs, etc.

But, there is always a but, have you considered insourcing, why assume you need to go to china, look at doing it locally first.

EmperorJimmy
    Up
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 267811, member: 78928 wrote:
    Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=116387]@EmperorJimmy[/USER] .

It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

Cheers
    Thanks Paul

EmperorJimmy
    Up
    bb1, post: 267812, member: 53375 wrote:
    There are some knowledgeable people on here in regards to this, also check out the Border Force website for import costs, etc.

But, there is always a but, have you considered insourcing, why assume you need to go to china, look at doing it locally first.
    Hey, thanks for the response. I couldn’t find a local company who would do it cost effectively, my pieces only sell for $100-200 so there’s not a lot of margin to play with. I didn’t look at insourcing though, any idea where I might find someone?

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Howdy,

As someone who has imported woods etc out of china, my advice would be that the vast majority of your requirements will be answerable by a decent freight forwarder.. It may pay to reach out to one you have researched and may want to form a relationship with – they can help with taxes, duties, cost of import, terminology, fumigation requirements, wood treaties etc etc….

As for the other stuff like suppliers, you will possibly find very few will reach out and help you source something unless they are agents ([USER=795]@Johnny[/USER] ) or similar…

Wishing you all the best

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    EmperorJimmy
    Up

Cheers

Miles L
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    EmperorJimmy, post: 267809, member: 116387 wrote:
    Hey guys, I’m new here, been reading the forums for a while but thought I should post.

I’ve been making some timber furniture myself, but can’t keep up with demand and looking to outsource to China. Have read and read and read, but wondering if there’s anyone out there who might be able to offer me some advice or guidance with regards to the import process – suppliers, incoterms, freight forwarding, customs etc. If anyone is keen to answer some stupid questions I’d love to chat.
    Hello, I see this problem. If you need a Chinese supplier or a foundry, maybe I can help you find it. E-mail me if needed: [email protected]

Sue1987
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

my suggestion for you is to
    find the biggest b2b website http://www.alibaba.com
    look for the products that you want and email them for price
    compare the price get the lowest one for products cost
    i can share with you some shipping companies so you can figure out the total cost, normally shipping companies can fix everything including products shipped from China to Australia customs clearing.

if you still find it difficult, then we can have a chat, i am currently in sydney.

Jeff999
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

This thread is a bit old but I could likely assist. I own a small business in Sydney which imports niche plywood joinery materials from China used for furniture and fitouts. I sometimes source other items from companies on request which are timber related. My family also owns a number of factories over in China which deal with plywood and timer industries.

A few things that I have found out first hand that you should know:

• In most cases unless the value of the item is high it won’t be cost effective to just order 2 or 3 items from China. It will end up being more expensive then if it were just made locally.
    • The lead times from China are about 4 weeks at the fastest and even as long as 6-7 weeks. You also can get into some real trouble if even the slightest thing happens to delay things. See the virus happening now for example, this has delayed 2 containers of mine for nearly 3 months now.
    • Depending on what you need made you would be surprised on the price to have it made locally.

My advise? I’d suggest to start by looking to see if the components can be made by someone else locally and you just put it together and do the finishing work. Avoid having things made overseas unless you have the volume.

I don’t know what kind of furniture you make exactly but feel free to message me for a chat.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.